Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tex
Premium
join:2012-10-20
kudos:2

Property Damage and the Insurance Company

Back in April of last year, we had a hail storm. After the storm, I knew I had roof damage, so I called the insurance company and then I called my roofer. After my roofer examined the roof, he told me the roof was totaled. Later, after the insurance company appraiser had submitted his report to the insurance company, I was issued a check in the amount of $4,600 for the damages along with written documentation outlining what my rights are, what the timetable is and what procedures I must follow if I dispute their estimate of damages.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not naive enough to believe the insurance company has its customer's best interests in mind when they appraise property damage, whether the damage is caused by hail, high winds, fire, earthquake or what have you. They pay the minimum they can get away with and what will meet their contractual obligations. I get that, but what I don't get is how they get away with it.

Like I said, the initial estimate of the damages was $4,600. Since that time, thanks to the assistance and documentation I got from my roofer, I've gotten the damages up to $11,500 and the insurance company has issued a supplemental check to make up the difference. However, that amount still does not cover all the damages and I continue to battle with them seven months since the hail storm. FYI, this isn't my first rodeo, either. After Hurricane Ike in 2008, it took me two years and a lawsuit to get them to fully compensate me for my damaged roof.

Have any of you who are reading this had to go through as much hassle to get your insurance company to fairly compensate you for a property damage claim? And, if you have, don't you think it is borderline criminal the way the insurance companies try to take advantage of their loyal customers?

fluffybunny

@cipherkey.net

to replace regular roof shingles on a roof completely is around $7000. i dont see how you received $11,000(!) worth of damage.
look around for another roofing guy. chances are youre being taken for a ride.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1

I just got 3 estimates 11,100, 11,500 and 12,200. House and detached garage. The insurance companies knows exactly what the cost is to replace shingles and repair any other damage as needed.

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

6 recommendations

reply to fluffybunny

This is a roof:

This is also a roof:

We have no way of saying how much his roof replacement should have cost without knowing anything about his house.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA

That's why I said his insurance company knows exactly what he has and how much it will cost to fix it. What we think and reality sometimes don't come close.

Tex
Premium
reply to Tex

FYI and somewhat off-topic, the amount I'm being compensated is to cover a partial roof replacement (west and north facing slopes), a two-car garage door replacement, partial replacement of gutters and other associated damages.

I suppose I could have left the details out and just asked the simple question is it standard operating procedure to have to fight for every cent when dealing with an insurance claim? I know what my answer would be, but I wanted to hear from other homeowners who have had property damage and insurance claims.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:5

2 recommendations

reply to Tex

I do construction consulting as an "Owners Representative" for a large project management firm. I bring my 25 years of construction experience and ask questions about things that the Owner might not even be aware of. I represent the interests of the owner.

One of the things that I learned a long time ago is to have both the insurance rep and the contractor onsite at the same time so THEY can hash it out. Keeps them both honest...

I hate being the middleman between the two...too much time chasing each of them to get it resolved. A one hour meeting at the site saves a month worth of work on my part.

BTW, I might add that this type of work (being an OR) is good work. If you have a solid 15-20 years of construction experience and can read specifications and contracts, you can do this kind of work. I have a LOT of experience, but I don't pretend to know everything about anything. My particular skill is asking really good, to-the-point questions. Having "been there and done that", it allows me to cut to the chase immediately and cut through the sales crap.

Tex
Premium

1 recommendation

Actually, after I disputed the original claim, the insurance company sent an "independent" appraiser in for a second opinion. I had my roofer meet up with him at my home. Unfortunately, I couldn't be there at that time, but my roofer claimed the appraiser was a real a-hole and that he basically didn't want to be bothered with anything my roofer had to offer. Consequently, this appraiser's findings were that the original appraisal was correct and that no further damage was found.

Another FYI, I've done business with this particular roofing company for over twenty years. I've had them re-roof not only my present home, but they've re-roofed my first home (which I still own) twice. They are a local family-owned roofing company and they've been in business since 1987. The owner and his wife have seven sons and all of them were taught to roof by their dad. They've been tremendously helpful throughout this whole ordeal.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

reply to Tex

said by Tex:

Have any of you who are reading this had to go through as much hassle to get your insurance company to fairly compensate you for a property damage claim?

No. Had hail damage several years ago, they suggested and paid for a roof replacement. State Farm.

said by Tex:

don't you think it is borderline criminal the way the insurance companies try to take advantage of their loyal customers?

Some sectors yes, some companies for sure, but as far as house and car, state farm hasn't really ever given me, my family, or my friends any hassles.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 recommendation

said by dib22:

said by Tex:

Have any of you who are reading this had to go through as much hassle to get your insurance company to fairly compensate you for a property damage claim?

No. Had hail damage several years ago, they suggested and paid for a roof replacement. State Farm.

said by Tex:

don't you think it is borderline criminal the way the insurance companies try to take advantage of their loyal customers?

Some sectors yes, some companies for sure, but as far as house and car, state farm hasn't really ever given me, my family, or my friends any hassles.

I've had the same good experiences with Nationwide Home, Car and Boat. Believe it or not the National Flood Insurance Program adjuster was fairer than I would have ever imagined.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to fluffybunny

said by fluffybunny :

to replace regular roof shingles on a roof completely is around $7000. i dont see how you received $11,000(!) worth of damage.
look around for another roofing guy. chances are youre being taken for a ride.

Unless you have seen his roof you have no idea it would cost to roof it. I've had houses that I could roof and take a vacation for $7000 while the one I'm in now cost over $12,000 to reroof and that will be lowered by over $3000! Size, complexity, type of shingle, etc. all have a major price influence.
said by Tex:

Actually, after I disputed the original claim, the insurance company sent an "independent" appraiser in for a second opinion.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to Tex

Mine totaled the whole roof not just slopes facing whatever direction. Seriously, hail doesnt really care what way the roof is facing. Damage will be done just may not see it as quickly.
Roofers really wanted any work then and where very competitive on price and or upgrades. So any insurance company cheapness was offset by roofers needing any work. Was several years ago when labor market sucked even worse.
Did use a real company. They came back and fixed a minor flaw under warranty just recently.
But the roofer and insurance matched fairly well on cost of material and labor. No real issues. Got a few estimates more for features and quality of work as had no long term roofer to fall back on.

Tex
Premium

said by nonymous:

Seriously, hail doesnt really care what way the roof is facing. Damage will be done just may not see it as quickly.

Yes, I understand and that's why we're still disputing the claim. The storm moved in from the northwest and, believe it or not, the hail was coming in almost sideways. So, consequently, the most damage was done to the north and west facing exposures, but there was some damage done to the east and south facing exposures, though not as much. The adjusters are allowing for repair only to the damaged shingles on those sides of the house. I don't know if you know what's involved to replace a damaged shingle, but there's more to it than just removing that one damaged shingle.

Being that the roof was less than three years old and the fact we had to sue the insurer to have the roof replaced after Hurricane Ike, I believe they are holding this against us by not paying for the whole roof to be replaced.

Booost

@optonline.net
reply to Tex

You need a better insurance company. My insurance company doesn't do those things. They did everything they possibly could to maximize my reimbursements for my claims.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

1 edit
reply to Tex

2 Nov.'s ago I had my roof and chimney (fasad, fake board) replaced because of hail damage.

New roof and hardy board chimney about $14.6k. Insurance paid about $12k. 1% deductible.

In N. Texas it's outrageous anymore to buy anything less than 1% deductible.

I've had 3 roofs replaced (in 25 years) from hail and each insurance company handled it a little different. I was never short changed in the end by any of the different companies.

Republic, Nationwide, Liberty Mutual.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
reply to Tex

When our roof was damaged (total replacement), USAA sent a rep out to see that it was damaged, then asked us to get and submit 3 estimates. They approved the work, and paid the contractor directly, minus our deductible.

Tex
Premium
reply to Booost

said by Booost :

You need a better insurance company.

Easier said than done.

No property and casualty insurer writes windstorm hazard insurance for areas along the Texas coast where I live. My policy is through the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association (TWIA), the state's "insurer of last resort". TWIA is a "pool" of all property and casualty (P&C) insurance companies authorized to write coverage in Texas.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Tex

I just did a significant repair on a roof (asphalt 3-tab shingles) that is about 12 years old.
It wasn't particularly difficult - it was far easier than I expected - even weaving in the new shingles.

If yours is only 3 years old, I can see repairs being feasible, assuming the damage is not extensive.
--

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
reply to Tex

I have never filed a homeowner/renter claim, but have filed 2 claims with our Auto when it was damaged in 2 different accidents(not our fault). Both times Mercury treated us like shit, so we returned the favor. They didn't want to compensate us for the proper parts(ford/oem vs chinsy aftermarket), but we won both times(took some research and phone tag, but we beat them!).
--
No Victim=No Crime

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to Tex

Replace damaged shingles one by one and leave undamaged? I hope I am misunderstanding. They just tore my whole roof off and started from new felt on up due to hail damage.
They didnt even try and say any less. Like said economy sucked a little worse then so no problem finding a real roofer to match the insurance price. Though insurance did give a decent amount.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Jack_in_VA

National Flood Insurance was a joke when I had to use them once. The adjuster lowered the house value by half even though it was bank appraised for a re-fi a few months before. Then he had the type of house construction wrong. He had wood framed even though it was masonry construction. I had to go around in circles to get them to pay for actual replacement/repair costs to the finished basement and contents.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 edit

I never had the first problem with the flood insurance after Hurricane Isabel hit us in 2003. The only problem is the coverage is cash value not replacement cost but one example how fair it is my outdoor 14i Heat Pump condenser was flooded and replacement was $4000. The unit was installed in 1995 so it was 8 years old. The adjuster only deducted $400 and I got a $400 rebate from Trane so it was no cost to me.

The total calculated damage was $94,000. After deductions we received a check for $78,000. Later they raised it to $84,000.

The NFIP policies state that basements are not covered under the Flood Insurance coverage but some associated items are covered:

quote:
The NFIP defines a basement as any area of a building with a floor that is below ground level on all sides. While flood insurance does not cover basement improvements, such as finished walls, floors or ceilings, or personal belongings that may be kept in a basement, it does cover more expensive items that are necessary to the home. Many of these items are included under building coverage, and some under contents coverage. The NFIP encourages people to purchase both building and contents coverage for the broadest protection.

The following items are covered under building coverage, as long as they are connected to a power source and installed in their functioning location:

Sump pumps
Well water tanks and pumps, cisterns and the water in them
Oil tanks and the oil in them, natural gas tanks and the gas in them
Pumps and/or tanks used in conjunction with solar energy
Furnaces, hot water heaters, air conditioners, and heat pumps
Electrical junction and circuit breaker boxes, and required utility connections
Foundation elements
Stairways, staircases, elevators and dumbwaiters
Unpainted drywall and ceilings, including fiberglass insulation
Cleanup

The following items are covered under contents coverage:

Clothes washers and dryers
Food Freezers and the food in them

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada

On the same thread... What would be covered in the average "Tenants" insurance policy?
--
"Recognize, Realize, and Repent"

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA

I really don't know. I've never had any experience with a tenants policy.

Booost

@optonline.net
reply to billydunwood

said by billydunwood:

I have never filed a homeowner/renter claim, but have filed 2 claims with our Auto when it was damaged in 2 different accidents(not our fault). Both times Mercury treated us like shit, so we returned the favor. They didn't want to compensate us for the proper parts(ford/oem vs chinsy aftermarket), but we won both times(took some research and phone tag, but we beat them!).

I just picked up my car after having $9,700 worth of work at the body shop. The shop only uses OEM parts. No problems with the insurance company, which handled everything promptly and paid for everything including my $47/day replacement rental car. I had to pay the $500 deductible, but Ill be getting that back in a few weeks, since the other driver ran into me while I was stopped in traffic.

I only had to answer a few phone calls the first day plus fill out a form. Everything else was handled by the insurance company and body shop. No fighting necessary at all.

That is why you want a good insurance company.

zacron, a rental insurance policy would only cover your personal property, such as electronics, furniture and jewelry (with limits). But not the structure or any upgrades.

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Tex

said by Tex:

said by nonymous:

Seriously, hail doesnt really care what way the roof is facing. Damage will be done just may not see it as quickly.

Being that the roof was less than three years old and the fact we had to sue the insurer to have the roof replaced after Hurricane Ike, I believe they are holding this against us by not paying for the whole roof to be replaced.

Not to take this too far OT, but you ended up needing a new roof? I thought you had minor damage to the house, but your tool truck was pretty much a total loss.

Tex
Premium

Yes, I the roof sustained damage from hurricane force winds during Hurricane Ike. My work truck was flooded with four feet of salt water.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Booost

said by Booost :

I just picked up my car after having $9,700 worth of work at the body shop. The shop only uses OEM parts. No problems with the insurance company, which handled everything promptly and paid for everything including my $47/day replacement rental car. I had to pay the $500 deductible, but Ill be getting that back in a few weeks, since the other driver ran into me while I was stopped in traffic.

Why was your insurance company paying for damage that was caused by another driver who was at fault?

The last time I was in a crash a lady ran a stop sign and t-boned me. Her company paid for my rental car and all repairs. My insurance company was never involved so there was no deductible or any other out of pocket. I even got an upgrade on the rental with the help of the Enterprise Rental agent.

I only had to answer a few phone calls the first day plus fill out a form. Everything else was handled by the insurance company and body shop. No fighting necessary at all.

I only had to take my car to the repair shop and when it was ready they called me to pick it up.

That is why you want a good insurance company.

That is key to having a good experience. Sometimes cheaper is not better.

netboy34
Premium
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

1 recommendation

reply to Tex

I'm with liberty mutual, and they actually replaced to roof even though the adjuster said it had minor damage. They were there for a water issue because the builder didn't install the hardy board correctly. (Nailed into the foam core house wrap instead of studs) and basically said, while we are here might as well do it. Had a neighbor that all he does is insurance work, used the same software the adjuster did and submitted a counter adjustment. Liberty Mutual said looks good to them and cut me a check. Because it ended up over 14k the mortgage company had to see the checks and notarize before I could cash and pay the neighbor.

Seems the insurance company is being a pain because of past dealings.

Booost

@optonline.net
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Booost :

Why was your insurance company paying for damage that was caused by another driver who was at fault?

Because that's what I pay them for. My insurance company pays the body shop; I have to pay the deductible. Then the insurance company collects from the other insurance company for all their costs (body shop, rental car, plus overhead), then sends a check to me for the deductible I paid to the body shop. Look up "subrogation".

This way I don't have to deal with a crappy insurance company that doesn't want to pay or that wants to delay the process. The act of getting my car repaired only involves my insurance company, the body shop, and myself.

My insurance company is the #1 auto insurance company in New Jersey: NJ Manufacturers. They're also one of the cheapest. And they get 0 substantiated complaints. Zero.