uniqs
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Declines

The fact that some states supposedly declined makes me question the accuracy of these results. There simply cannot be more people downgrading to slower plans than there are people upgrading to faster plans or faster services in general (migrating from DSL or cable or fiber). Many ISPs also bump people's speed up on a regular basis, they don't bump them down.

It seems pretty clear the last results or these results are incorrect.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

On page 17 of the report, section 4.1, they go on to explain the reason for the decline.

For Vermont, they claim it is "related to a number of IP address blocks from a single network provider shifting from another nearby state into Vermont." Same thing apparently happened with New Hampshire.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

That doesn't explain the 7 states that did not see improvements. Regardless they should be able to accommodate for this and produce accurate results or they shouldn't publish this.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco
I know a lot of people who directly suffered from the federal sequestration and furloughs. This in turn led to other individuals who had income losses in the private sector. Some of those people elected to save some money by reducing the internet access speed they had, among other expenditure reductions. I have also seen businesses reduce the speed tier they are on or eliminate guest internet access altogether. I cannot prove how significant or numerous these actions are in the overall evaluation of the USA's internet standings, but it has happened.
texmec
Premium Member
join:2010-06-08
Dallas, TX

texmec to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco
said by silbaco:

Many ISPs also bump people's speed up on a regular basis, they don't bump them down.

Oh, but they do. I just lost my 3 Gig DSL (downgraded to 1.5/126 by the owner of the copper or the owner of the circuit--not sure which, but not by my ISP) "to make the line more stable." The upshot being that, rather than troubleshooting the circuit, it is simply easier to re-provision the speed.