join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to pike

Re: [Environmental] Re: OOPS... DelMarva Power and Thermostats

said by pike:

I realize the weather is unusually cold but I didn't think demand could possibly be greater than peaks during the summer months.

This is just a WAG, but if the temperatures have dropped low enough that heatpumps can no longer operate effectively, electric resistance heating uses considerably more energy. Even more than running the air conditioner (heat pump in reverse) in the summer.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
I considered that but I assume (erroneously perhaps) that homes using electricity for heat are the minority. I believe the last figure I saw was somewhere around 35%, which very well could be out of date.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
said by pike:

I considered that but I assume (erroneously perhaps) that homes using electricity for heat are the minority. I believe the last figure I saw was somewhere around 35%, which very well could be out of date.

However - there can be areas where houses built in the 70's used electricity. Near where I live an entire area of the city has all electric homes. They actually put a emblem around the door bell button announcing that the house was all electric.

There are still a lot of places that have electric heat from the same period of time. So small cities like the one I live in, could have more than 35% of the homes on electric heat. All depends on the area, when the houses were built, and what types of heat sources they had at the time of building.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain