join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

2 recommendations

cypherstream

MVM

[Plumbing] Toilet clogs almost every time

At the risk of jokes and wisecracks, why does our toilet clog at almost every dump? It says American Standard 6.0 LPF / 1.6 gpf. That's all the writing on it.

Is it a POS toilet, trouble further down the line or what? How do you shop around for toilets that can "take it" if you can't try before you buy?
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

Replace your water main and get a flushometer.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

2 edits

TheMG to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Is it a POS toilet, trouble further down the line or what?

Could be a clog (partial) in the drain pipe, clogged or poor venting, or it could simply be a POS toilet.
said by cypherstream:

How do you shop around for toilets that can "take it" if you can't try before you buy?

User reviews I suppose.

Or go around to a few friends/relatives houses and test out their shitter see which one works best and buy that model.

I'll say I've had pretty good luck with Kohler toilets. Not sure what the exact model is, but it is 1.6GPF (6LPF), gravity flush, the cavity at the bottom of the bowl that the shit goes in is a special shape to encourage the turds to line up in the direction of the exit hole (instead of just senselessly spinning around). The bowl itself is somewhat of an oval shape (I guess they call that "elongated"?).

Unfortunately I can't take a picture of the toilet I'm talking about to show you as it is at my parent's house.

The toilet in my apartment is a complete POS which I would NOT recommend (clogs more than 50% of the time and can't swallow more than a couple pieces of ass wipe at a time). It says "Cranada" on it and looks like a cheap generic contractor model.

DSLvis
join:2009-01-29

DSLvis to cypherstream

to cypherstream
Go get yourself a Toto toilet! Some reviews.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to cypherstream

to cypherstream
You did not state if is this a new problem or old problem? Check the chain between the flush handle and flush valve to be certain there is not to much slack in the chain. If there is to much slack in the chain the flushing force will be compromised because the flush valve will not open completely when the flush lever is completely depressed.

Check out this thread:
[Plumbing] Is this a problem with a new Kohler Cimarron Toilet?

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

At the risk of jokes and wisecracks, why does our toilet clog at almost every dump? It says American Standard 6.0 LPF / 1.6 gpf. That's all the writing on it.

Is it a POS toilet, trouble further down the line or what? How do you shop around for toilets that can "take it" if you can't try before you buy?

It can be any of the above. Can't say for sure without looking at how it flushes and the shape of trap way in the bottom, etc.

American Standard Champion 4 flush system is great for heavy loads.

big dump
@mycingular.net

big dump to cypherstream

Anon

to cypherstream
patcat88 See Profile is close. Since a Flushometer isn't an option in most residential installations, get a pressure assist toilet. You get the commercial Flushometer performance in a package that looks like a normal toilet and is compatible with your existing 12" or 10" rough-in and water supply pipe size. Down this way, Gerber is what they stock at the local plumbing supply but all other major brands offer their own. We went this route and even the largest dump goes down in a single flush.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to cypherstream

MVM

to cypherstream
If the flush slow as well? The water ports under the rim can also be clogged up with minerals preventing a correct flush.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

1 recommendation

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
Construct an outhouse and be done with it.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

Construct an outhouse and be done with it.

I wonder about the root cause of all these plug ups.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to CylonRed

MVM

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

If the flush slow as well? The water ports under the rim can also be clogged up with minerals preventing a correct flush.

I believe those are only for refilling the toilet, not the flushing action.
Hall

Hall to Mr Matt

MVM

to Mr Matt
said by Mr Matt:

You did not state if is this a new problem or old problem?

Very important info... The toilet's design didn't change so if it just started happening, it's almost certain to be a clog somewhere downstream. If I'm not mistaken, he recently moved/bought this place and the problem could have existed for a long time previously without him knowing.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to Hall

MVM

to Hall
They help in the flushing as well - not as much as suction but it does help. One of our toilets ran fine for years and in the last 1-1.5 years has had issues. Only difference is a number of the the rim holes are clogged up. Toilet flushes normally when pouring water into the bowl so there are no obstructions after the bowl or in the main jet.

Clogged up rim holes does seem to drop the efficiency/efficacy of the flush .
bkjohnson
Premium Member
join:2002-05-22
Birmingham, AL

bkjohnson

Premium Member

+1 I had some Kohler toilets that I was ready to replace. They were in the house when I moved in. Cleaning the outlets under the rim made a huge difference, and I am no longer considering replacing them.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
Trouble with AS Champion 4 as described here
»Re: [Disgusting] Toilet won't flush completely
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to DSLvis

Premium Member

to DSLvis
said by DSLvis:

Go get yourself a Toto toilet! Some reviews.

I'll second that. It'll be tough to find any thing better.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

+ "Number 2" on Toto.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Hall

MVM

to Hall
Yeah I moved in 2010 but it's never been the greatest toilet ever. I am hoping I can find a better toilet to get at some point. The only thing I did with it was replace the valve tower assembly inside as one time the valve broke and it would run forever into the overflow tube. Actually I had to do that to both toilets here. We have very hard water so I've had to do minor faucet or toilet valve repairs.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to patcat88

Premium Member

to patcat88
said by patcat88:

Replace your water main and get a flushometer.

In IL that would require at least an 1-1/4 service $$$$$$$ .....

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to cypherstream

MVM

to cypherstream
Do you have a 10-11 year old child who is the clogger?

bemis
Premium Member
join:2008-07-18
united state

bemis to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
Does the problem toilet drain slow always, or just when you have solid waste?

- Pull the toilet and verify you don't have some obstruction in the closet bend--like a lip stick tube, or something else that won't dissolve or completely block the pipe, but would impede solid waste...

- Might want to check that you don't have an obstruction in your main vent stack at the roof--birds nest, tennis ball, whatever... does the toilet "burp" when flushed at all?

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to cypherstream

MVM

to cypherstream
For what it's worth, I had a problem some time ago with a toilet that was removed by a flooring installer, and reinstalled with a new wax ring. After putting up with it for about a week, I removed the bowl, and found that when the toilet was replaced, the installer distorted the wax ring something awful. Much of the ring was "squeezed" into the drain channel. I removed that ring, cleaned everything up, installed a new ring, and very carefully positioned the bowl back onto the flange. Haven't had a problem since.

I have found, over the years, that repositioning a toilet bowl is really a two-man job... one to bear the weight and lower the bowl, and one to simply guide the bowl straight onto the flange bolts and drain pipe. It's possible to "do it yourself" but not nearly as easy as having just that little bit of help in getting everything lined up properly.

I'd almost be willing to bet that a lot of so-called "POS" toilet bowl problems, are not the fault of the ceramic design, but rather, improper installations with distorted wax seals, restricting flow.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
If you need to get rid of 2.5 pounds of chicken nuggets or 8 hot dogs or 3 sliders or 2 pounds of candy you need one of these sum-bitches right here:

»www.americanstandard-us. ··· -toilet/

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

That's good except I don't know anyone who poops cell phones.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

It is prison ready...

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
Do you have little kids in the house? When I had that problem and the service guy took it apart he found a toy truck and bic pen stuck. Took it out and sent me a hefty bill. It was worth every penny.

Hard water causes all kinds of problems. If you live there do you wife a favor and get a water conditioner. Everything will look cleaner and she won't spend hours trying to clean lime off shower walls, coffee pots, glasses and the clothes washer.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

2 recommendations

tp0d to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Yeah I moved in 2010 but it's never been the greatest toilet ever. I am hoping I can find a better toilet to get at some point. The only thing I did with it was replace the valve tower assembly inside as one time the valve broke and it would run forever into the overflow tube. Actually I had to do that to both toilets here. We have very hard water so I've had to do minor faucet or toilet valve repairs.

The AS 1.6 never was a good flusher. Had one preinstalled in my house when I moved in, in 2005.. First thing I did was tear it out and put in a new shitter from ProFlo.. (wholesale brand). Its a 1.28gpf, has a jet hole at the base, works well.

If you have hard water, and the toilet hasnt had any internal cleaning done, first thing to do is the CLR cleaning, before taking the toilet up/etc..

Get a medium sized jug of CLR (ie 20-32oz), pour the entire jug down thru the refill tube in the tank. Let sit for a minimum of 12hrs. 24 is better. Flush 2-3x to remove all the CLR. Take a nice dook, see if it clogs.

good luck

-j

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

How do you shop around for toilets that can "take it" if you can't try before you buy?

I tried that once. The guys at Home Depot were not amused.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

I have seen videos where kids or drunks would try them in store.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to tp0d

Premium Member

to tp0d
said by tp0d:

If you have hard water, and the toilet hasnt had any internal cleaning done, first thing to do is the CLR cleaning, before taking the toilet up/etc..

+1

As I posted above, my AS Champion forms deposits where the sun don't shine. If I do a CLR maintenance every 4-6 weeks there are no problems.