spc
Search similar:

uniqs

GAComcastUsr
@comcast.net

GAComcastUsr

Anon

[Caps] Data Usage Monitor broken?

I am in the Atlanta area and I am currently under the 300gb data cap. I went to go check my usage this morning (and a few days back) and the Comcast site says I have used 1GB of usage.

This cannot be right, as I have downloaded a few games from Steam as well as used Netflix often.

January 2014 Data Usage Included Used Remaining
Service Plan Usage 300GB 1GB 300GB
0%
As of 1/11/2014*

How am I supposed to know how close I am to the 300gb cap (and avoid paying 10$ for another 50gb) if they can't even track my usage properly? Can we even trust this?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

The monitor is glitchy. It may correct itself in time. Just take a screen shot of it on 1/31 if you think the usage it not correct & save it.

GAComcastUsr
@comcast.net

GAComcastUsr

Anon

Great.... so basically, fly blind until the end of the month, hope I don't go over an arbitrary limit set by Comcast, and likely have to fight any overage charges that suddenly appear.

Thanks.
FirebirdTN
join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN

FirebirdTN

You have a semi-working meter???!?!??!??! You should be GREATFUL! j/k

Mine has been stuck on "pending update" for at LEAST three months now, probably MUCH longer. And no one can seem to fix it-not even 'We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com'.

-Alan

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to GAComcastUsr

MVM

to GAComcastUsr
Does your area have the the actual cap with overage charges?

I can't see much you can do; however a screen shot of your usage at the end of the month is at least proof of what is presented to you.
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan

Mine was fairly accurate for December (first month of cap here in the ATL) except that it was about 10GB higher than what my Tomato router reported for the month.

I can only speculate, as others have, that Comcast is counting ARP and other packets that the modem receives but does not deliver to the router. Or all those are being sent but really should be filtered out because they are unsolicited network traffic. If not this raises the potential for anyone to spam UDPs, pings etc. at someone maliciously and cause them to get a big bill.

GAComcastUsr
@comcast.net

GAComcastUsr to Johkal

Anon

to Johkal
said by Johkal:

Does your area have the the actual cap with overage charges?

Yes -- I am in the Atlanta area which currently has the 300gb cap being enforced.
GAComcastUsr

GAComcastUsr to GTFan

Anon

to GTFan
said by GTFan:

Mine was fairly accurate for December (first month of cap here in the ATL) except that it was about 10GB higher than what my Tomato router reported for the month.

I just installed DD-WRT on my router this morning so I won't have this issue (of not knowing how much data I've actually used) in the future.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to GAComcastUsr

MVM

to GAComcastUsr
I had assumed "GA" meant Georgia, but wanted to be sure.

GAComcastUsr
@comcast.net

GAComcastUsr

Anon

Yes, us Georgia folk have the wonderful data cap "trial" here

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

2 recommendations

telcodad to GTFan

MVM

to GTFan
said by GTFan:

I can only speculate, as others have, that Comcast is counting ARP and other packets that the modem receives but does not deliver to the router. Or all those are being sent but really should be filtered out because they are unsolicited network traffic.

Maybe there's a "data leak" in your line, between your router and Comcast's "meter." That's what happens sometimes with people's water, gas and electric lines. You better check if there's a whole bunch of bits scattered over your lawn or in the street!

Seriously, this multi-GB discrepancy was discussed in GAComcastUsr's other thread:
»Re: [Rant] For those in GA hit by data caps: Be sure to file a complaint!
swanlee
join:2013-12-05

swanlee to GAComcastUsr

to GAComcastUsr
My data usage monitor has been broken since Dec 11th. not my fault and not my problem. I personally consider my data caps non existent since I have no way to track my usage now and the comcast site seems to think I haven't used the internet in over a month.

I'd like to see them try and prove I went over my cap when their own site says I have not used anything.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by swanlee:

I'd like to see them try and prove I went over my cap when their own site says I have not used anything.

Well, the actual meter/measuring system may not be "broken," it may just be the usage display part that's not functioning right now.

If that's the case, don't be surprised then, if at the end of this month, the data usage monitor suddenly starts working again for you and shows a large amount of data usage.

You can still make a case about not being able to track your usage for the bulk of the month, though. Have you contacted/"officially notified" Comcast about it (and have it noted on your account)? I would also take periodic screenshots, showing how it's not been working for you in order to help prove your case, if you end up going over your allowance.
swanlee

swanlee

I'm taking screenshots, it has gone over from the middle of last month to this month without it being fixed. Already contacted them and it is still broke. They can bite me if they think they can keep my cap but not give me the info to make correct decisions in my usage.

I mean they are a monopoly in my area for HSI and I can't even see what I'm using?

GAComcastUsr
@50.20.4.x

GAComcastUsr

Anon

Click for full size
Still broken.
swanlee

swanlee

Yep mine says the exact same thing, no cap for me
westdc
join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

westdc to GAComcastUsr

to GAComcastUsr
Does Comcast have to comply with your States Office of Weights and Measure? You know Verify that when you buy Something it’s really exactly what you’re getting? As easy as it says 1GB today it can say 301 GB anytime.

I suggest a Call to a local ATT office or your county Gov’t and see if the Site meter has meet your State requirements.
shutdownhnow
join:2013-07-10
Murfreesboro, TN

shutdownhnow to GAComcastUsr

to GAComcastUsr
Could they be testing to see how much our bandwidth usage changes if they remove the cap?
FirebirdTN
join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN

FirebirdTN to swanlee

to swanlee
said by swanlee:

Yep mine says the exact same thing, no cap for me

Don't be so sure. My meter has been stuck on "pending update" for MONTHS. I too thought I was in the clear on the caps, until I got my first "warning" email that I had exceeded the 300Gig limit for the month of December.

Funny, THEY know, but how am I supposed to track it with a borked meter...

-Alan
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan

I would file a complaint with your local franchise authority on that one. If they say they can't do anything about HSI, escalate to your state AG or governor's office of consumer affairs.

Comcast has to provide valid and accurate usage metering if they want to stick us with these bogus caps.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Internet usage and the Internet period is exempt from local and federal regulation as it is NOT a utlity company. And they are not communications providers there (thank the FCC for that one) so they don't have to comply with their rules on regulation for telcos.

The most that would happen is they "investigate" and that is it. Nobody can really do anything, and you can not sue either. Also do not hold your breath on the BBB as they are nothing but a trade group. If a business is a "member" of the said Mafia any and all complaints go away and the customer doesn't see anything and its likely the customer would see anything if the business is not a member. The Internet is regulated by itself and will always be as Congress is not going to change it to a utility and its best that it isn't unless customers/users wish to see $9+ dollars in taxes and fees added to their bills like many ISPs try and add on there now as USF charges that are not charged to them.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood to GAComcastUsr

Premium Member

to GAComcastUsr
said by GAComcastUsr :

Still broken.

Looks like you do not have a modem (or the correct modem) associated with your account. Customer care can surely solve that for you. I would PM you to assist but you don't have a registered account here. If you set that up it'd be easier to help you (send me a PM).

GAComcastUsr
@comcast.net

GAComcastUsr

Anon

Thanks but I disagree. My account shows my modem (with the correct MAC address/serial #) and has shown usage in the past. Something broke. I don't really care about it because I am cancelling the service anyway. Thanks though.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

jlivingood

Premium Member

said by GAComcastUsr :

Thanks but I disagree. My account shows my modem (with the correct MAC address/serial #) and has shown usage in the past. Something broke.

Your disagreement assumes that there's not more behind-the-scenes. Anyway, the offer of help still stands.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to GAComcastUsr

MVM

to GAComcastUsr

Just a bit of thought: as jlivingood See Profile pointed out "Your disagreement assumes that there's not more behind-the-scenes", I will add that what shows in devices can be deceiving. As example, I have a lingering TM602G that I was leasing from them, returned a few years back & still shows on my list. I know this is different from your issue, but just saying.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Johkal:

Just a bit of thought: as jlivingood See Profile pointed out "Your disagreement assumes that there's not more behind-the-scenes", I will add that what shows in devices can be deceiving. As example, I have a lingering TM602G that I was leasing from them, returned a few years back & still shows on my list. I know this is different from your issue, but just saying.

Yes, and I think what could be causing the problem is some kind of (slight?) mismatch of the CM-MAC address between GAComcastUsr's modem and what is currently set in Comcast's database for use by their data usage meter.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Yep, anything like that could be happening.
shutdownhnow
join:2013-07-10
Murfreesboro, TN

shutdownhnow to telcodad

to telcodad
If this is the case, would they still charge him for overages?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Being a Comcast issue, once the problem was identified & corrected, they would surely not charge an overage & refund any charges up to the date it was corrected.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by Johkal:

refund any charges up to the date it was corrected.

Getting refunds for erroneous charges out of Comcast is much, much easier to write about, than it is to actually accomplish.

It once took me more than six months to obtain a refund that Comcast said I was due. And to get that refund I had to bump it up the management ladder to the CEO's office.