share rss forum feed

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1

[DIRECTV] Weather Channel Carriage Dispute

Has anyone heard that DirecTV is in the middle of a carriage dispute with the Weather Channel.

Does this mean they're dropping it completely or does it mean that DirecTV wants a better deal like most other carriage disputes.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Have not heard anything about it. Have not watched the channel in years anyways.

guhuna
Premium
join:2001-03-31
Port Costa, CA

1 recommendation

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Has anyone heard that DirecTV is in the middle of a carriage dispute with the Weather Channel.

Does this mean they're dropping it completely or does it mean that DirecTV wants a better deal like most other carriage disputes.

No different than any other carriage fight - it will be dropped past an established date unless they get a new agreement before then. Else - they will add it back when a deal is struck.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy
Ever since they became an "entertainment" channel I have stopped watching them so it's a big yawn for me....

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
I myself think the weather channel should be split into two channels, one for their entertainment nonsense and one for 24 hour weather coverage in my opinion.

Cable has hundreds of channels, it's no longer 40 channels on most systems. I think the Weather Channel has gone the way of MTV where they've gone from playing music videos to shows like Jersey Shore and 16 and Pregnant. But MTV has sub channels like MTV hits and MTV 2. Same with CMT, the original CMT has jumped the shark but they have CMT pure (formerly VH1 Country).
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

ralph peek

@206.47.249.x
when u say weather channel, do you not mean "The Weather Network"?
Expand your moderator at work

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
reply to ralph peek

Re: [DIRECTV] Weather Channel Carriage Dispute

I think the Weather Network is in Canada. Here in the states it's The Weather Channel.

Jeremy W

join:2010-01-21
reply to IowaCowboy
No surprise here. Comcast owns The Weather Channel, so expect another long and drawn out fight with the channel getting dropped for a while.

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA
For me Comcast can keep it! I get enough Weather info from the internet already

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member

join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL
Reviews:
·Knology
reply to IowaCowboy
I stopped watching the Weather Channel years ago when they stopped airing weather! All that reality crud and documentaries are not weather. I could care less if they drop it.

They did add Weather Nation right next to them in the lineup. So far they are much better. Weather Channel tried something that bit them in the butt and now they want to blame D*. Drop 'em and move on.
--
Certified Jenius!

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy
I was wondering what was going on with the weather channel the past few weeks. I could not finds one minute of weather, it has been all stories about random stuff.

Weather nation seems to have the weather, but it is really slow moving and takes a long time to get back around to my area if I just miss it when I tune in.

At this point I would say let weather channel get blown away, but I will miss those fools standing out in the hurricane winds getting beat up.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Seriously you watch Doom and Gloom scare them to death sensationalizing anything WX Channel for REAL weather information?
--

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium
join:2010-09-13
Irving, TX
reply to Jeremy W
said by Jeremy W:

No surprise here. Comcast owns The Weather Channel, so expect another long and drawn out fight with the channel getting dropped for a while.

Comcast as the parent of NBC Universal is part owner of The Weather Channel, in a joint venture with the investment firms Blackstone Group and Bain Capital. And yes, those investment firms do know how to negotiate.....

So, regardless of exactly who's pushing TWC into an "entertainment channel", I'd prefer just a wearther channel.

I stream Weather Nation TV on Roku.

And Weather 4 Us.

What pisses me off about the "new" Weather Channel is that they do not constantly show the current temp. in the information at the bottom of the screen. I have to wait for the current temp. to be displayed. When they're giving information at the bottom of the screen, I want the current temp. embedded.

I wish America could have 24/7 weather channel.

Then maybe they could have to focus on the weather, and not just focus on the weather persons.
--
A La Carte Cable Choice is the ONLY Choice I'm Interested in ! ! ! ROKU 2 XS (3100R) ~ Motorola SB6141 ~ TWC STD 15 Mbps ~ Vizio 29" Dexk Monitor

devolved

join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD
reply to IowaCowboy
Haven't watched The Weather Channel since Comcast (NBC/Universal) bought them out.

Even when they are doing weather (about 4 hours a day) all their focus is on areas where NBC has "owned and operated" network affiliate stations.

They never did mention the devastating October blizzard in South Dakota that killed 75,000 head of cattle in western South Dakota.

Unlike what they want people to believe, they're not providing people with a vital service if all they're showing is "weather related movies" on Friday nights, and endless hours of reality TV that looks like it belongs on The Discovery Channel.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to IowaCowboy

quote:
The weather channel has become garbage so I wouldnt blame them if they did.......

WEATHER NATION (361) IS MUCH BETTER!!

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..

1 recommendation

reply to Unbundled

said by Unbundled:

So, regardless of exactly who's pushing TWC into an "entertainment channel", I'd prefer just a wearther channel.

The WX channel was doing entertainment a year or two before the family sold it.

Much like all the other channels who left their core programming, the WX channel will get further and further away from it. The consultants say so. So, what the consultants say, goes.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to ilikeme
said by ilikeme:

Have not heard anything about it. Have not watched the channel in years anyways.

I used to use watch it as a callow ant back in the (19)80s on my parents' cable TV in east coast. I always wanted to be a meteorologist on TV with those old fashion stick on U.S. map.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

said by Unbundled:

Much like all the other channels who left their core programming, the WX channel will get further and further away from it. The consultants say so. So, what the consultants say, goes.

It seems like very channel/station is doing that too like The History Channel, Discovery, MTV, etc.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 recommendation

Makes a lot more money.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by CylonRed:

Makes a lot more money.

Yeah, that sucks. I miss the old days. Hence, why I don't have cable and satellite TV services.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to antdude
said by antdude:

said by ke4pym:

said by Unbundled:

It seems like very channel/station is doing that too like The History Channel, Discovery, MTV, etc.

What may end up happening is the ratings for the Weather Channel will plummet and WeatherNation will pick up the pace. Maybe a few Weather Channel personalities will flee to WeatherNation like Jim Cantore, Dr Greg Forbes and Mike Bettes. Or more likely the Weather Channel will buy Weather Nation and learn from their mistake and move all the entertainment garbage to a sub channel.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

quote:
Yeah, that sucks. I miss the old days. Hence, why I don't have cable and satellite TV services.
I really dont blame ya my friend!!

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
reply to IowaCowboy

Where can Weather Nation be found on Verizon Fios? I've never seen that channel.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
said by obeythelaw:

Where can Weather Nation be found on Verizon Fios? I've never seen that channel.

I wish I could get Verizon FiOS. We're not that lucky in Western Mass.

DirecTV it's channel 361.
--

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

1 edit
reply to IowaCowboy

quote:
I myself think the weather channel should be split into two channels, one for their entertainment nonsense and one for 24 hour weather coverage in my opinion.
Up until they got those stupid WHITE MAPS I still watched them sometimes...... NOW ITS HARD TO LOOK AT,ITS HORRID!!!!!! (Too bright)

The weather channel has really gone to crap!!

I emailed the guy who setup »www.keeptheweatherchannel.com and left my feedback on the matter

drjenkins

join:2005-03-30
Bealeton, VA
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

DirecTV it's channel 361

It was until 12:01 this morning.

»The Weather Channel Gone From DirecTV

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member

join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL
Reviews:
·Knology
said by drjenkins:

said by IowaCowboy:

DirecTV it's channel 361

It was until 12:01 this morning.

»The Weather Channel Gone From DirecTV

I think you mis-read. WeatherNation, what the poster was referring to, IS on 361 on D*. TWC was on 362 but now WN is being aired there as well.

BFWIW, I too haven't watched since I never see weather there when I turn - it's all reality crud. I now get my weather from my local stations weather app, Accuweather or now the WeatherNation. TWC tried but failed. They need to shutup and be glad anyone still wants 'em!
--
Certified Jenius!

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to IowaCowboy

I have since heard weather nation IS NOT LIVE but on a 3 hour delay!!!!

The weather channel also has a channel WITH JUST WEATHER,its called WEATHER SCAN!!

»weatherchannel.wikia.com/wiki/Weatherscan

Why doesnt DirecTV carry them?? -- I THINK ITS ALL ABOUT $$$$$ -- WEATHER NATION IS CHEAPER AND IS NOT AS GOOD IF IT INDEED IS NOT LIVE!!