spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Squirrelly
join:2000-10-24
Harrisburg, PA

Squirrelly

Shed foundation on top of blacktop

So I want to build a shed 12x24 for storage. Where I want to build it I have some blacktop, can I just build a wood frame and fill it with stone or should I dig up the blacktop.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

I'm quite sure that your local building codes will require that the foundation for that shed be extended below the frost line in your area. It will obviously be more work but produce a much better product in the long. You're going to spend a good bit of money building it anyway so you might will do it right.

Squirrelly
Harrisburg, PA

Squirrelly

It does NOT need to be below the frost line.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to Squirrelly

to Squirrelly
Click for full size
This is the shed support I have: as you can see it's fully adjustable, so if the ground shifts, or if I don't get it perfectly leveled -- no biggie.

The green arrow is pointing to am 18"x18" paving stone at the very bottom, flash with the surface. Obviously, on a blacktop you don't need a big paving stone on the ground.

The pink line indicates the highest water level...
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to Squirrelly

Premium Member

to Squirrelly
said by Squirrelly:

... depends on local ordinances .... nothing like building a structure and finding out you have to tear it down ...

Squirrelly
Harrisburg, PA

Squirrelly

said by kherr:

said by Squirrelly:

... depends on local ordinances .... nothing like building a structure and finding out you have to tear it down ...

I know, I already checked.