spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder

Star Wars EU canon

It's been announced that Disney has ordered a complete review of Star Wars extended universe canon. There will be no more tiers of canon. Material will either be canon or non-canon as decided by official canon keepers in the Lucas division.

The only EU stuff I'm familiar with are the KOTOR games and Clone Wars. Never read any of the books or comics. So is this good or bad news?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Link please.

Just on what you've posted, it sounds like they are getting their house in order for the last three episodes to ensure it doesn't conflict with anything deemed canon.
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder

Here's a few.

»news.cnet.com/8301-17938 ··· y-group/

»www.cinemablend.com/new/ ··· 032.html

»arstechnica.com/gadgets/ ··· niverse/

»www.geek.com/news/disney ··· 1581803/

I originally read the Ars Op Ed which is where I saw the news.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to Zoder

Premium Member

to Zoder
I think it's to keep Abrams happy. My understanding is he got "upset" because CBS/Paramount wouldn't stop or pull the original Star Trek stuff from the stores. He felt it caused the fans [new and old] to get confused, etc.
Bottom line, I think it's a money issue. Abrams as well as Disney wants to maximize their money from all things Star Wars. So by "pruning" the branches from the canon, they regain more control over the product.

The first two KOTOR games were fun, as was the Clone Wars TV series.
Wouldn't the Force Unleashed series be part of the EU?

Edited to add link:
»www.thewrap.com/movies/a ··· ns-91766
quote:
How the Battle Over ‘Star Trek’ Rights Killed J.J. Abrams’ Grand Ambitions

The franchise's licensing and merchandising rights are split between CBS and Paramount which created headaches for the multihyphenate's production company Bad Robot

A struggle over the U.S.S. Enterprise's past and future helped sour J.J. Abrams on the "Star Trek" franchise and may have contributed to his decision to take on the "Star Wars" universe.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Zoder

Premium Member

to Zoder
Watching football last night, Disney is doing a fair bit of advertising (March break no doubt) and they've already integrated Star Wars into their parks.

They've become cartoon figures.