uniqs

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

1 edit

garys_2k

Premium Member

[Electrical] New Construction: How 2 Stub for CATV Service?

My new house's sheathing is up and electric meter in (with temporary construction panel). I'm running the LV wiring and want to put in the RG6 main feed to be connected to the cable service.

The electric service (installed underground from the pole to the meter) installers left an unused 1" conduit open adjacent to the meter, possible to be used by a future cable or phone line. If I assume the future cable will either be installed through that conduit, or would otherwise be able to have the cable terminate at the meter, I would like to provide a pre-wired house connection for them.

The room framing is up on the other side of the wall where the meter is located, no drywall yet, but I do want to be ahead of the game and provide an RG6 to connect to. The face of the wall on the outside will be brick. My thought and question:

I could put a stub, say 4-6" long, of PVC 1" conduit through the sheathing and have it prewired with a 3' length of cable. I could even put a downward facing elbow on the outside end of the conduit to prevent rain and water intrusion. How could I anchor the stub to the sheathing? It's not running ALONG the sheathing, but penetrating through it at 90 degrees. Is there some sort of flange or trick to rigidly mount that short piece of conduit strongly enough to have the mason brick up the wall without it breaking loose from the sheathing?

Edit: I could possible mount an LR type fitting to one of the studs to be used to hold the drywall inside, and run the stub out through the sheathing attached to that LR.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

Just talk to the brick mason so they can mortar the conduit in while they are building the wall. That way they just have to knock off the corner of one brick rather than trying to cobble around a pipe that will inevitably land in the middle of a full brick.

I take it this house has no basement?

garys_2k
Premium Member
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

A walk-out basement, the room behind the electric meter is going to be finished. I'm probably going to have to put the conduit in before the brick guy gets there because the drywall will likely go in first.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

You are putting the panel in a finished room?

garys_2k
Premium Member
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

Nah, I'm putting an ATS on the outside wall adjacent to the meter, that includes a service disconnect. The panel is going a few more feet down the wall from that on the inside.

wa2ibm
Premium Member
join:2000-10-10
San Jose, CA

wa2ibm

Premium Member

It's hard to visualize just what you're dealing with, but I have to ask where this stub is going to be in relation to an accessible (after drywall) wiring area inside the home?

If it were me, I'd run a 1" (electrical - gray) conduit (with sweep joints) from the outside stub location all the way to an accessible area where the rest of the house wiring is going to be pulled. This will provide a path to pull whatever wiring will be needed in the future (be it CATV or Phone or Internet or whatever). I couldn't just put RG6 in the wall and feel that's enough. But, that's just me.

Edit: If you don't like rigid conduit, go with some smurf tube. Join a short section of rigid to it to penetrate the wall, putting a weather head on the end.

garys_2k
Premium Member
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by wa2ibm:

If it were me, I'd run a 1" (electrical - gray) conduit (with sweep joints) from the outside stub location all the way to an accessible area

I was also planning to pull a CAT 6 cable in with the RG6, but I do like the idea of "pullable" conduit routed all the way to an accessible location. Thanks!

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by garys_2k:

I was also planning to pull a CAT 6 cable in with the RG6, but I do like the idea of "pullable" conduit routed all the way to an accessible location.

The conduit is the only way to go. There's no telling what you will need in the future. It's highly likely that in many instances you might even end up pulling fiber. You'd also be smart to have conduit or Smurf tube run to the critical locations within your home such as where the entertainment center will be, etc.

garys_2k
Premium Member
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

Yeah, I'm definitely putting in conduit to the entrance point. I can clamp the conduit to the studs for the interior wall and won't have to worry about my original question.

The house is a ranch style with a full basement and only a fairly small part is finished. The main TV areas are over the unfinished parts and it will be no problem upgrading any of the wiring to those (and most other) locations.

It was my bad, in a hasty moment, that the electric meter ended up where it did. I kick myself every time I think about doing that and do NOT want to compound that error with any short sighted actions I'll regret later.