spc
Search similar:

uniqs
vktr
join:2012-11-03
Pasadena, CA

vktr

Intermittent disconnects

My internet has been dropping periodically throughout the day which has persisted for at least a month now. The internet will drop and then recover after about 5 seconds.

What might be the problem?

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Unfortunately, not nearly enough information to say for certain.
- How often does it drop (Like, once per hour, once every few minutes, a few times per day... )? Is it a regularly repeating pattern (like, once every 5 minutes almost exactly, or exactly two hours apart, etc.)?
- Do you have a router? Have you tried bypassing the router (connecting your computer straight to the modem) to see if the issue persists?
- Do you have multiple computers connected? Do they all disconnect simultaneously?
- Is anyone talking on the phone when it happens? Does the phone ringing, or someone hanging up a call, seem to make any difference?
- How do you know the internet is disconnecting? (Not saying that I disbelieve you - it's an honest question. Example: Are you seeing the 'internet' light on your modem or router go out? Are you in the middle of watching a video or a computer game and it starts lagging, or are you on a VoIP (Skype, Ventrilo, MagicJack, etc.) call and it cuts out? Do you see an icon on your computer say something like "Network Cable Unplugged" or "Unidentified Network" that goes away after 5 seconds? Do you get a pop-up on your computer notifying you that connection was lost? Do you try to access a website but get a message that server is unavailable or it times out, but a retry 5 seconds later loads the page?)

As you can see... lots of questions, heh. Lots of possibilities to narrow down. I'm not in the office tomorrow, but send me an IM with your account info and I'd be happy to take a look into it on Monday and see if I can determine what's going on. (Alternately, you're welcome to call in at any time, of course. 866-491-7221)
vktr
Pasadena, CA

vktr

Hey Nick, I made this topic a few months ago and hadn't gotten a chance to deal with my internet problems until now due to school and other things. I'm still experiencing intermittent sync(?) I think that's what it was called. Please help!

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Hey vktr, glad you've got time now. I'll give you a call on the landline - if you've got a better contact number, go ahead and send that to me via PM.
vktr
Pasadena, CA

vktr

Unfortunately, it seems I'm still dropping throughout the day.

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Even with the better phone cord? Hmmm. I'm still seeing the improvement in the readings, but if your connection is still dropping then something else is also a factor. Did you happen to notice if the DSL light on the modem is dropping or flashing now, when your connection drops?

I'm going to run some more tests on my end here, but if you could check for that it would greatly help troubleshooting.
vktr
Pasadena, CA

vktr

I managed to catch it. The status light turns off completely then resumes with its solid green.

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

You're using a D-Link modem, right? Assuming it's a 2320B model, need you to check the DSL light specifically, rather than status. (If you're using a different model modem, then let me know what you're using, but usually modems have different LEDs for status vs. sync, and it's the sync I'm worried about at the moment)
vktr
Pasadena, CA

vktr

Just checked and it stays solid green. The DSL light I mean.

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Very pertinent information, thank you. That info, combined with the test data I'm seeing here, suggests there may be some data corruption on the line - possibly the remote terminal you're connected to, or possibly the modem itself. Our shipping department is closed for today, but I'm going to put in a request to ship out a replacement modem for you tomorrow. Will verify address via PM.