Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb

Re: [News] Windows 9 - April 2015

Right-click Start, click Control Panel. Saved a bunch of steps.

The right-click menu on the Start flag was one of the first things I discovered about Win 8 after I was finished poking around Metro. MS said "Let there be quick access to tools," and it was good.

Andy from CA
Premium Member
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

1 recommendation

Andy from CA to DownTheShore

Premium Member

to DownTheShore
said by DownTheShore:

Two clicks to shut down in Win 8.1 with Classic Shell:

Could not agree more except to say those same two clicks will get you any program on your menu. And if it isn't on your menu adding it is easy.

Sure it's not from Microsoft, but neither is Firefox nor Winamp so ...

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to Wily_One

Premium Member

to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

LOL I love all the posts telling me I'm wrong, I had no problems.

w/e

I was not at all trying to show that what you did was wrong, or that you should not have had any problems. If that was how my post came off to you, then I am sorry.

What I was trying to do was to show that the control panel, and all of its features that we used and loved from Windows 7 is still present inside of Windows 8.0/8.1.

--Brian

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to Wily_One

Premium Member

to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

LOL I love all the posts telling me I'm wrong, I had no problems.

w/e

No one has said that you are wrong. You were just being told that others have found faster ways to do some of the things that seem to take longer via your accessing methods.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to Wily_One

Premium Member

to Wily_One
If I recall, NT and 2K wasn't targeted towards consumer. With XP, we saw the NT stability that Windows NT enjoyed.

Windows 7 is a great OS, dare I say, the best they've ever made for consumers.
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen to DownTheShore

Premium Member

to DownTheShore
Two clicks to shut down in Windows 8.1 without any add-ons. Just right-click on the Start button.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore

Premium Member

There you go, no muss no fuss.

Classic Shell adds "Switch User" and "Hibernate" options to that submenu.

Tobester
join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA

Tobester to Dustyn

to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

Yeah,... I agree.
I don't get the Windows 8.1 Metro stuff... it's just not needed on a desktop.

The Metro interface is the only reason I will not upgrade my two desktop computers. Microsoft Windows is trying to be "all tablet" when a high percentage of their users are businesses with desktop machines.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

said by Tobester:

said by Dustyn:

Yeah,... I agree.
I don't get the Windows 8.1 Metro stuff... it's just not needed on a desktop.

The Metro interface is the only reason I will not upgrade my two desktop computers. Microsoft Windows is trying to be "all tablet" when a high percentage of their users are businesses with desktop machines.

Try that on a server!!!

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

said by AsherN:

Try that on a server!!!

Generally speaking I think Server 2012 / Essentials (R2) is perfectly serviceable regardless of the fact that the new UI / Metro is present.

For me, the differences between the Start Menu and Metro are largely transparent. That is to say being familiar with both UI's makes the navigation differences largely irrelevant to me.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

Wily_One to AsherN

Premium Member

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

Try that on a server!!!

Real servers don't need a GUI.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

said by AsherN:

Try that on a server!!!

Generally speaking I think Server 2012 / Essentials (R2) is perfectly serviceable regardless of the fact that the new UI / Metro is present.

For me, the differences between the Start Menu and Metro are largely transparent. That is to say being familiar with both UI's makes the navigation differences largely irrelevant to me.

It's quirky. In ways, it's counter intuitive.

It's funny in a way, it seems that on the server side, MS is kinda saying "Well, that GUI thing was just a fad. Try PowerShell". Saw it first with Exchange starting with 2007. A lot of stuff can only be done through PowerShell. Even the GUI is just a pretty front end on bunch of scripts.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

I guess I am just used to it so it doesn't really seem quirky or counterintuitive to me with respect to the new UI.

However, you make a very good point. Whether you use a shortcut, the new metro UI, search or some added software like classic shell to help navigate to something like powershell the real meat of what gets done is done in powershell. So what difference does it make how one gets there (other then preference or whether or not one even knows how to get there),......???

Need to get to Server Manager, server logs and so on....same difference.

Its sort of the opposite of saying "its not the destination but the journey". So its not the journey but rather the destination in this case. My guess is that if people are getting tripped-up in the journey its hard to see anything else but that.
Octavean

Octavean to chachazz

MVM

to chachazz
This looks mildly interesting,......
quote:
Windows 8.1 Update 1 Preview: Now with More Integration

First though, here's what's leaked: infamous Windows leaker WZor has provided a few screenshots of a recent Update 1 build that show how Microsoft is adding the ability to pin Metro apps to the desktop taskbar, a feature that is currently available via third-party utilities like Stardock ModernMix. For example, here you can see the Windows Store (Metro) app pinned on the taskbar.
Followed by what will likely be a worrisome bit for some if it turns out to be accurate:
quote:
Before signing off, here's one more semi-related tidbit: After someone pointed out that the year-long delta between the April 2014 announcement of Windows 9 and the April 2015 release was only a year, I started asking around about this, and how Microsoft would be planning a major release in such a short time. (An issue that is made all the worse by current uncertainties around the company's reorg and CEO ascension.) Last night, I was told not to expect much from Windows 9 and that it would be similar to Window 8.1 in scope. Fundamental changes are not coming, I was told.

More as it becomes available...

»winsupersite.com/windows ··· egration
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

LOL It took them this long to pin metro apps to the taskbar, talk about some lazy, and half-assed solutions. It's just like they had no idea what they were doing in the first place, and forced a pos half-assed tablet gui on desktop users to get it out in time for the holidays.
quote:
That doesn't seem like much of an addition until those other two features I mentioned—windowed Metro apps and a Start menu—are offered. But since that won't happen until Windows 9, I'm curious why the taskbar pinning feature is being added first. Perhaps it's just a way to show that they're taking steps.
Windowed metro apps, and a start menu, returning to their logical roots in 9. Something they should have done in the first place.

I already know the answer, but without browsing through the folders how do you tell somebody to add a program to their startup folder so it runs when they login? It was buried on win 8.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to chachazz

MVM

to chachazz
Today was quarterly report time and Surface tablet had sales of $893 million, up from $400 million in the first quarter. Microsoft also sold 7.4 million Xbox video game consoles into the retail channel in the quarter, including 3.9 million Xbox One consoles and overall Microsoft posted sales of $24.52 billion, up 14%, besting Wall Street's target of $23.68 billion. It marked its fourth straight quarter of double-digit sales growth, after seven quarters of less or no growth. Looks like Ballmer is leaving a ship that is ticking right along pretty good.

End of January is so much fun, Microsoft reported today (and was pretty good), Apple next week and Google at the end of the month.

Blake
between my Microsoft dividends and equity increase, I'm a happy Microsoft shareholder as well as a happy Microsoft product user.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

Now just think how much better the stock would be doing if people liked Win8.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore

Premium Member

Think how many more people are going to like Win 8 as a result of using all those Surface tablets.