spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Doug Huffman
join:2007-07-27
Washington Island, WI

Doug Huffman

Can 7550 Xmitter be offed remotely?

I just stepped away and came back to a locked up computer. OK, it happens (Fedora-20), rebooted, and saw no network. Kicked the network manager and for abut ten minutes it looked like the 7550 was off despite rebooting it and watching normal light sequence - except talking to my computer.

Any explanations? Does the 7550 have an internal system log?

Strider7Sfga
@frontiernet.net

Strider7Sfga

Anon

You have to dig a bit deeper in the Netgear 7550 for the diagnostics, logging feature, but it's there.
As to if the wireless features can be turned on/off remotely, yes it can, but the person would have to have network access to the modem, the web based GUI IP (192.168.254.254,)your acct. login & password to change any settings. Since that is doubtful, I'd recommend checking this thread concerning the firmware update addressing wireless connectivity issues.

Thread URL: »[DSL] Netgear 7550 Wireless issues Firmware update V.06.05.02 .

This was one of several that had a working link for the firmware update.
I haven't used any Fedora / Linux OS's in some time, but I have fiddled a bit with the latest flavors of Ubuntu 13.x (32bit & 64bit) and it plays fairly nice with wireless as well as hardwired connectivity.
I flashed the firmware in both of the latest frontier branded, Netgear 7550's as well as the previous westell 7500 as more a precautionary process, not that I had any issues, but prefer to have the latest firmware that's available in case I have to take my Actiontec GT784WN ADSL2+ Modem/Gateway out of service and use one of the, IMO, inferior 7500 or 7550's.
I hope this helps get you pointed in the right direction and can avoid the call to tech support, or a response from FTRTech.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

Hank

Premium Member

said by Strider7Sfga :

I flashed the firmware in both of the latest frontier branded, Netgear 7550's as well as the previous westell 7500 as more a precautionary process,

So you flashed the firmware intended to correct the RF problem in the 7550 to a 7500 without any consequences. Have you thoroughly tested the 7500 to confirm that it works flawlessly? I wasn't aware that the circuitry was so similar.

Strider7Sfga
@frontiernet.net

Strider7Sfga

Anon

Actually, in my haste Hank, I erroneously included the Westell 7500. It was two, Frontier branded Netgear 7550's that I flashed with the firmware updates. Both were tested, but not extensively. Since the Westell 7500 is pretty dated and only handles up to wireless G, I'm fairly certain that if I had tried to flash it, it wouldn't allow the update, or it would 'brick' it. As stated previously, my primary gateway/modem is the Actiontech GT784WN, so the flashing of the firmware was more a maintenance procedure than anything else. I don't have a very high opinion of these mass produced, Chinese Pieces of junk that Frontier is shipping out to customers. I only mentioned the firmware update and the link to Smith's thread with a live link to the download in the event that this was the potential cause for the wireless disconnection's that were mentioned. If it isn't, Mr. Huffman may need to have another one sent out, or look into purchasing a better, more reliable gateway/modem as a replacement. Another thought would be to check the Fedora members forums for any known issues with wireless drop-outs after a system hang, etc... I certainly have no regrets in my purchase decision. Plays nice with Windows 7sp1, 8 & 8.1 as well as, in my case Ubuntu Linux.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

Hank to Doug Huffman

Premium Member

to Doug Huffman
Doug - I am wondering if you did not have a power issue that caused both problems. The power supply supplied with the 7550, although regulated, is not the highest quality and can be problematic if the conditions are right. I have all my network equipment on a UPS.

As stated it could also be caused by the firmware, but since both had issues at the same time I would look for a common cause.
lawsoncl
join:2008-10-28
Spirit Lake, ID

1 recommendation

lawsoncl to Doug Huffman

to Doug Huffman

Ditto on upgrading the firmware. That solved the sporatic wireless failures for me. Also what Hank mentioned, is that the power supplies are crap. The new 7550 Frontier sent me kept rebooting about once an hour. It stopped intermittently rebooting when I swapped the power supply with the one from my Westell 327W.

I'm currently waiting for an ActionTec GT784 to show up in the mail, so I can ditch both the 327W and the 7550.