uniqs
share rss forum feed

matt221

join:2013-04-21
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TELUS

[AB] non-telus VDSL modem possible?

I currently have Telus Internet 6 in Alberta, using my old Thomson 516 in bridge mode.

Now upgrading to Telus Internet 25, and this means giving up bridged modem.

Are there options to keep my home network the same?

Is the "secret" root password still an option these days to activate bridge in the currently issued Telus modem/routers?

It was posted by "Qcuser" here that he bought the Huawei HG610 to install in bridge mode, but I couldn't find any feedback in the forum if this actually worked. And I suspect that his results may not be valid in Alberta as he appears to be in Quebec.

Any other options out there?

alwaysjoe
Premium
join:2009-04-12
Joe

If you are on the new firmware... (xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.11) ... bridge mode is not possible... if you are in old firmware ( .57 ...) you can into bridge mode... ( just hardreset your modem and go fast to root )
For vdsl... Qcuser it's me ( just found one old premium account i have make in the past ) ... yes huawei HG610 work great for me... but again and i am not sure... if telus qc and telus in west are the same things ( vlan etc... )
I have already sell this modem... for one reason... my stats line are excellent... but with the huawei... i get some crc cv error i don't have with the v1000h... and get some pixelisation...
Now i use a alcatel alu and don't have any problems...
You can buy a xyzel too ( and put in bridge mode ) ...

Darhole
Premium
join:2005-06-14
Edmonton, AB
kudos:1
reply to matt221

Bridge mode is indeed possible on the newest firmware.
It's not 'publicly' available as of yet. But I'm sure it will leak out eventually.

jed
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Alberta, Can
Reviews:
·TELUS
·EastLink Interne..
reply to matt221

There are a few places that sell the Zyxel, but its still going to kick the hell out of 200 beans for you to get bridged access. For me it'd be worth it.

Other alternative is to google, telus darknet bridge and read. Just make sure you aren't plugged into the phone line when you do the reset.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to Darhole

said by Darhole:

Bridge mode is indeed possible on the newest firmware.
It's not 'publicly' available as of yet. But I'm sure it will leak out eventually.

:)

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4

Hehehe guys. I'm working on a present for all of you
--
Telus 50/10 V2000H+E2000 WAP

ttvtech

join:2013-10-10
reply to matt221

Ask your installer for an ALU. They're still in our storerooms, I try and keep one on my van for the people who ask. Although its super rare for anyone to ask. Another tech called me a few months ago as he had a customer asking about bridge mode on the Zyxel, so I delivered them the ALU.

matt221

Calgary, AB
reply to jed

I figured the Zyxel purchased could be an option, but too expensive for me. I already saw the darknet blog, but it was not clear to me if those passwords to work.

jtl999

In the GVRD

What firmware does your Actiontec have?
--

matt221

Calgary, AB

I'm getting installation on Wednesday, and I believe the modem will be the Zyxel based on the email I received from Telus technical.

jtl999

In the GVRD

Oh so you don't have service yet. If you have the Zyxel it can be bridged easily I think.
--

matt221

Calgary, AB
reply to ttvtech

That would be super if I can get that. The customer service mentioned that would be only possible if I got a business account but you are giving me hope!

ttvtech

join:2013-10-10
reply to matt221

The Zyxel is the standard modem for single line HSIA. If you have TV, get an Actiontec, and any bonded line needs an Actiontec v2000.

jed
Premium
Alberta, Can
Reviews:
·TELUS
·EastLink Interne..
reply to matt221

And just remember, Telus CSR's know nothing about bridge mode. So, I'm of a mind that if I do this, and I have trouble, I'm on my own. For that reason, I have a spare unit to help troubleshoot. Extra cost yes, but then Telus cannot berate me for having my own networking gear, and them not being able to help as they don't know the configuration/setup.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to ttvtech

said by ttvtech:

Ask your installer for an ALU. They're still in our storerooms, I try and keep one on my van for the people who ask. Although its super rare for anyone to ask. Another tech called me a few months ago as he had a customer asking about bridge mode on the Zyxel, so I delivered them the ALU.

The ALU's are garbage, they don't support G.INP or PhyR properly - they also cook themselves to death on a regular basis. I have had four modems die on me so far, YMMV.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

WhosTheBosch

join:2009-12-02

said by pfak:

The ALU's are garbage, they don't support G.INP or PhyR properly - they also cook themselves to death on a regular basis. I have had four modems die on me so far, YMMV.

I've had mine for over 3 years and I'm on Optik 50 and have had not one problem. It's also in a cabinet with little airflow. I did put it up on it's side so it's vertical though so that might've helped.

Also, if you do get one look for the custom firmware, I believe it adds support for G.INP and PhyR.

jed
Premium
Alberta, Can
Reviews:
·TELUS
·EastLink Interne..
reply to matt221

WTB is correct, my ALU has G.INP and Phy.R enabled with its current firmware. I've found more issues with the wall warts than the devices themselves. And that includes consumer routers. If they get flaky, its tends to be power related, alot of the time.

matt221

Calgary, AB

Thanks guys for your feedback. The installation is this afternoon, I'll see what happens!

matt221

Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to ttvtech

Thanks for the advice, I was able to get a ALU installed. Essentially just swapped the SpeedTouch 516 and everyting else just worked as before, just faster! Looked for the "custom firmware" but all the links are dead. Not sure it would help me much, but if anyone has information on that would be appreciated.

jtl999

In the GVRD

I only have a copy of the Actiontec firmware. Sorry. Maybe try asking someone on the forum. pfak may have a copy.
--

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
reply to matt221

You don't need custom firmware on the ALU. My ALU has stock firmware and it runs flawlessly and fast.

matt221

Calgary, AB

I will stick with the stock firmware. I can't imagine it's that bad given these modems are given to business customers.

bimmerdriver

join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC
reply to pfak

I've had the same alu for several years, not a single problem.