uniqs
share rss forum feed

jojosuburban

join:2003-04-18
Prairie City, IA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

[CenturyTel] Acess to Zyxel pk5001 Modem

I turned the wireless part of this modem off and turned the router portion into a passive device. I did this to use a new Apple Airport Extreme Router I bought while continuing to use the Zyxel Modem part that was provided by CenturyLink.

It all works well except I can not access the Modem control panel any more. Does anyone have any insight into why I can't or how I might be able to?

TAZ

join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ
kudos:3

Connect directly to it and set your IP to something in the 192.168.0.x range.

Midniteoyl

join:2013-11-22
Knox, IN
kudos:1

That has never worked for me.. If I connect directly to it, I simply get an IP from CL, as my DSL is Dynamic IP.. Never could get into a bridged gateway

TAZ

Tucson, AZ

Disable DHCP (set it static on your computer) and it should work.

gapmn

join:2013-11-10
Saint Paul, MN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to jojosuburban

When using a DSL modem in bride mode, is there any other way besides a direct PC connection to the modem. It is such a a pain to set the PC to static IP etc... to look at one little thing on modem. Is it possible to telnet in without a direct connection ?

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

said by gapmn:

When using a DSL modem in bride mode, is there any other way besides a direct PC connection to the modem. It is such a a pain to set the PC to static IP etc... to look at one little thing on modem. Is it possible to telnet in without a direct connection ?

If you have your routing setup correctly in the bridged router, yes.
I have my modem set to an ip address of 192.168.10.1, my pfense router is configured to get to that address via the router's WAN port.

gapmn

Saint Paul, MN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

Okay, so if my bridged modem is 192.168.0.1 and my router address is 192.168.1.1, and is hooked up to the modems WAN port. Then, I should be able to log into to the modem, through the router (both hard wire and WIFI), to gain access to the modems GUI by opening IE and going to address 192.168.0.1 . Does that sound correct?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

No. It's possible on routers that allow mulitple addresses on the WAN interface. With most consumer routers, you cannot reach the modem in bridge mode through the router. You need a direct connection.

The easiest way is to add a second ethernet port. I use a USB to ethernet adapter, but a pci card in the pc would work the same. Your primary port connects to the router and provides the internet connection. The secondary port connects directly to the modem with a static IP (like 192.168.0.2). No gateway or DNS entries are necessary on the secondary port. If your modem only has one port, then a switch would be necessary to make that work.

TAZ

Tucson, AZ

said by billaustin:

No. It's possible on routers that allow mulitple addresses on the WAN interface. With most consumer routers, you cannot reach the modem in bridge mode through the router. You need a direct connection.

Yep and as usual, the best solution is to not use consumer routers. (But most users asking about this are, so it's easier to just tell them to direct connect.)

gapmn

Saint Paul, MN

So what is a good commercial router that is not a nightmare to setup?

TAZ

Tucson, AZ

EdgeRouter Lite. It's only $100.

It has some configuration wizards now for basic setups. I haven't used them though. And it does support the setup mentioned in this thread (I have it set up; just assign a 192.168.0.0/24 IP to the WAN interface, which also has a PPPoE subinterface.)

I can send you my config if you want.

toby
Troy Mcclure

Seattle, WA

EdgeRouter Lite is really good, very capable, a lot of it is configured from the command line.

I use pfsense, a little more user friendly, but the hardware costs more.

TAZ

Tucson, AZ

I think you can actually get by now with a full GUI configuration, including PPPoE with the configuration wizards. I use the CLI, however.

IMO it's overall a superior solution to pfSense or similar on a PC, in almost every way. Lower cost, lower power usage, lower heat, smaller form factor, better performance (supposedly gets up to about 200 Mbps now with PPPoE enabled, presumably with 1492 or 1500 byte packets; once Ubiquiti finally implements PPPoE hardware acceleration, that should get up to the same 1G/1M PPS). For my uses (20M DSL where acceleration isn't on the priority list), the only fault I have is the lack of CoDel support so far, but that's supposedly being worked on. In the meantime, I just set a rate limiter and limited the queue size (SFQ). That keeps the bufferbloat down to ~70ms max, vs. the 3000ms (at 896K; yes, seriously) of buffering on the ZyXEL Q100.

I've had mine for awhile and have been really happy with it, as the regulars here have probably noticed.

toby
Troy Mcclure

Seattle, WA

I use UniFi wireless from Ubiquiti which I really like, I was reading about this router of theirs just the other day.

The only reason I went with pfsense was to use MLPPP, it just works. And hopefully if the 20/2 CoreConnect install goes as advertised tomorrow I won't be using that anymore. I'm hopeful although realistic.

gapmn

Saint Paul, MN
reply to jojosuburban

Thanks for the info. I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Therefore, it's probably easiest to just make the "direct connection to the modem.

toby
Troy Mcclure

Seattle, WA

said by gapmn:

Thanks for the info. I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Therefore, it's probably easiest to just make the "direct connection to the modem.

Be aware when you do this, that the internet connection will sometimes stop working on all devices connected to your 2nd router.

I experienced packet loss, it seems the DSL Modem Router got confused and didn't know which LAN port was actually bridged.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

As long as both interfaces have different IP's, there should not be a problem. One connection is sending traffic through the bridged modem to the internet, and the other is sending traffic directly to the modem.

toby
Troy Mcclure

Seattle, WA

On my system, they had two different IP addresses. It worked most of the time, just not all of the time. As soon as I unplugged the 2nd lan, it worked perfectly.