uniqs
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon

Premium Member

iOS 8 wishlist?

I'm bored this morning, and it's been about 6 months since iOS 7 was first previewed. It's about the time to start an iOS 8 wish list. What features do you hope they announce?

What I would really like is a private iCloud service to be added to OS X Server, combined with support in iOS. With all the NSA crap, it'd be nice to have all of my data stored in house, so it's harder to get to with a secret warrant. I know that you can combine bits and pieces together, many in OS X server now, but it would be nice to have a turnkey solution. There are also some things you can't do now except with iCloud, like automatic cloud backups of iOS devices. At the moment I have a free google apps setup for mail, but would migrate it to my wish list service in a heartbeat.

A few other smaller things:
-Safari extension support. Mobile ads are getting out of control. I actually run a ad-blocking proxy server at home to remove them on iOS traffic

-Less complicated AirDrop. I never use it because it's too hard to explain to others how to get it working. I just iMessage them whatever instead.

-A newsstand window that doesn't take up the whole screen. I typically get out of folders by tapping the screen instead of using the home button. Newstand requires an extra button press, which just slightly annoys me.

-automatic fallback to cellular on bad wifi. They were working on this, but I think the API was removed in an iOS 7 beta. (or was it iOS 6?)

-support for manual routes in Maps. Sometimes I want to do multi-point routing, or I just know a better way around town and want to drag the route to match the way I want to go.

-a better landscape turn-by-turn layout too. 1/3 of the screen is taken up by toolbars.

-less stupid photo stream setup. All photos should go into photo stream and stay there forever. Just eliminate the camera roll for all intents and purposes and put all photos into a single stream across all devices (of course, allow alternate setups for people who don't want cloud photos, too)

-wake on LAN magic packet sending by iOS devices to wake computers they sync with. iTunes Wifi syncing is great, but the computer has to be awake. This is annoying for laptops we don't keep awake at night. If the phone could wake the machine to sync, then sleep it again, that'd be awesome.

-power shaming like they did in Mavericks. A way to see apps that are draining your battery the most would be nice, because it would prompt developers to make them more stingy.

MgA_ODEN
Excessive
Premium Member
join:2002-12-28
Spring, TX

2 recommendations

MgA_ODEN

Premium Member

said by Daemon:

What features do you hope they announce?

It comes with a iPhone 6

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

1 edit

haroldo to Daemon

to Daemon
I'd love if the Bluetooth and WiFi tools were available from the Control Center (CC). It's nice that you can turn these on or off from CC, but it takes a few clicks to get to the settings screen.
If it were up to me, a tap of the icon toggles WiFi (or Bluetooth) on and off, but if you press and hold the icons, a screen asks if you want to adjust the settings. If the phone is locked, you get an unlock screen.

I wish the screen would re-orient if held upside down. Some apps do (Waze, for example), but not iOS nor Apple Maps. If you use a charger (for example in the car) or the audio output jack, the phone has to balance on the wire connectors. If you put the phone upside down (with the wires coming out of the top), the screen doesn't flip so it can be easily read.

I wish Apple Maps would work with older car Bluetooth systems. In my car, Waze broadcasts in "old" Bluetooth, but Apple Maps needs the aux jack to work through the car's sound system

Jehu
Premium Member
join:2002-09-13
MA

Jehu to Daemon

Premium Member

to Daemon
a revolutionary new UI that is a revolutionary UI

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

2 recommendations

Ctrl Alt Del to Daemon

Premium Member

to Daemon
A magical and revolutionary way to transfer a damn file from my laptop to my iPhone without needing iTunes or a wire. Maybe they can call it something like AirDrop.

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium Member
join:2000-12-14
Uranus

Homunculus to Daemon

Premium Member

to Daemon
Quick Reply for text messages a la BiteSMS. It's stupid that Apple hasn't done this yet.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious to Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

to Ctrl Alt Del
I use »itunes.apple.com/us/app/ ··· 113?mt=8 quite happily.
rugby
I think I know it all.
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

rugby to Daemon

to Daemon
Support for a 4k 5.7" screen.

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

pike to Daemon

Premium Member

to Daemon
Why not jailbreak? Many of these items have already been addressed by the jb community.

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO

The Dv8or to Daemon

Premium Member

to Daemon
Flash!
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to pike

Premium Member

to pike
said by pike:

Why not jailbreak? Many of these items have already been addressed by the jb community.

Every time I jailbreak, my phone starts crashing, flickering, running slowly, features stop working and/or any combination of the above. Jailbreaking was worth it ca. iOS 3, but hasn't been worth the headache since, IMO.

To say nothing of the cloud of distrust after the chinese app store they included in the recent jailbreak, their excuses and attempts to explain it away notwithstanding.

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy to Daemon

Premium Member

to Daemon
I'd like to see a bit more transparency with apps and what type of resources and how much is being used. In OS X, when an app starts crashing at least you get a beachball or an application isn't responding message on the icon menu. That would be a help in knowing what apps get the privilege to survive on my phone.

Another thing would be to get Siri to have the ability to interact with apps in use--my thoughts are primarily with the traffic side of Maps. If the info was solid enough, she could warn you when congestion was encountered and give you an alternate route before it was too late.

Speaking of Siri (no pun intended), I wish her recognition would be as good as the dictation is currently. Seems I can speak normally and the dictation works better than when I want something from her.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to Daemon

Premium Member

to Daemon
A more refined iPad OS, sometimes I feel there is so much wasted space with the apps and folders only.

Landscape home screens with iphone

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Daemon

Premium Member

to Daemon
said by Daemon:

said by pike:

Every time I jailbreak, my phone starts crashing, flickering, running slowly, features stop working and/or any combination of the above. Jailbreaking was worth it ca. iOS 3, but hasn't been worth the headache since, IMO.

To say nothing of the cloud of distrust after the chinese app store they included in the recent jailbreak, their excuses and attempts to explain it away notwithstanding.

I've been jailbreaking since iOS2, and only on the iPhone 3G which was severly underpowered in terms of memory, did the jailbreak cause it to suffer if you loaded too many tweaks...

I'm not a themer or do crazy stuff, i do like things that improve the functionality of the phone, remove crazy apple restrictions or as in the case of iOS7 some real pain in the ass visuals like the stupid blurs everywhere... bunch of tweaks to fix that ugliness...

haroldo
USA

haroldo to Daemon

to Daemon
An option for iCloud based syncing of folders between iOS devices. User can opt to sync, so on each device, the folders contain the same apps and the apps are in the same location within the folder. It won't be perfect as some apps may not be installed on both devices, but it's better than remembering which folder an app is in based on the specific device.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to Daemon

Premium Member

to Daemon
Also ability to choose default apps

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

YES.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to Daemon

to Daemon
I'd like a Do Not Disturb function that actually totallymutes the flippin' iPad.

When I set a DND for between 12AM & 8AM I want the damn iPad to be dead stone silent, I have an iPhone and can allow favourites through in case of emergency...

NefCanuck

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Just curious: what makes noise when DND is turned on?

haroldo
USA

haroldo to Daemon

to Daemon
I'd love to see Do Not Disturb settings allow for weekend (5 day/2 day) times.

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

1 edit

miataman to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
Alarms from the clock app.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by miataman:

Alarms from the clock function.

Can you explain further? Currently I tap on Clock and then I tap on Alarm and set alarms from there.

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

The question was "what is not silenced in the DoNotDisturb active" mode. My alarm still sounds even in DND active mode.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Ah (not obvious just from your post, sorry).

I certainly wouldn't want DND to override my alarms... but I suppose an option for that would be useful.

haroldo
USA

haroldo to miataman

to miataman
said by miataman:

The question was "what is not silenced in the DoNotDisturb active" mode. My alarm still sounds even in DND active mode.

That is by design.
Why would someone set an alarm to ring...but not want to be disturbed?
I like this feature as DND was set a year ago and has been a reliable tool...but on the rare occasion that I need an alarm set, I don't need to turn DND off (and then get disturbed every time emails, texts, etc. arrive).
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Just curious: what makes noise when DND is turned on?

Oddly enough the app "Words With Friends" is the worst offender.

If I don't remember to leave the players waiting on my move before going to bed, sure as shooting, despite the DND being on, I'll get woken up at some godforsaken hour (for me) by someone expecting me to make a move.

NefCanuck

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Huh, I play that game a lot and I have never had it ignore the DND setting...

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by darcilicious:

Huh, I play that game a lot and I have never had it ignore the DND setting...

Same here.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

When I play (not during DND hours), I click the app and then mute my iPad. The onscreen display shows the mute icon..but as soon as the app fully loads, the volume is back on again (a really obnoxious app!) requiring me to mute it again
I wish my friends would play the Scrabble app, instead. It's amazing, an ad filled app that ignores your desire to have quiet...is more popular than a respectful one without ads (Scrabble)...

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to Daemon

Mod

to Daemon
Stability, stability, stability, stability, and stability.