NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to darcilicious

Re: iOS 8 wishlist?

said by darcilicious:

Huh, I play that game a lot and I have never had it ignore the DND setting...

Mine is the paid version, is yours the paid version as well?

Not that it *should* make a difference and it would be totally insane for the free ad supported version to respect the DND while the paid version didn't but I've heard of weirder things.

NefCanuck

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

Yup, paid version. On both the iPhone and the iPad, however, I do have the iPad pretty much permanently on mute (side switch) since video playback always overrides that setting and that's the only time I do want sound from that thing The iPhone, however, is on DND over night every night and I play with a lot of night owls and with folks in Europe, no problems.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1
reply to haroldo

said by haroldo:

When I play (not during DND hours), I click the app and then mute my iPad. The onscreen display shows the mute icon..but as soon as the app fully loads, the volume is back on again (a really obnoxious app!) requiring me to mute it again
I wish my friends would play the Scrabble app, instead. It's amazing, an ad filled app that ignores your desire to have quiet...is more popular than a respectful one without ads (Scrabble)...

No adds in my version. I paid for it, like I did Scrabble. Furthmore, my WWF app adheres to the sound settings on my iPad and iPhone. If I'm muted, no sound at all from the game.

Do folks realize that DND is only active if you're not actually using the phone? In other words, if you're using any app on the phone during a DND schedule period you will still get sound. Makes sense to me.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state

1 edit

said by Nezmo:

Do folks realize that DND is only active if you're not actually using the phone? In other words, if you're using any app on the phone during a DND schedule period you will still get sound. Makes sense to me.

Not exactly...there is an option Do Not Disturb / Silence that asks either Always or Only while iPhone is locked.
Many, instinctively will choose the second (as there's no need to DND if you're using it), but if you don't want to disturb a sleeping partner while using your iDevice, for example, you might choose the 'always' option.

NefCanuck

Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Nezmo

said by Nezmo:

said by haroldo:

When I play (not during DND hours), I click the app and then mute my iPad. The onscreen display shows the mute icon..but as soon as the app fully loads, the volume is back on again (a really obnoxious app!) requiring me to mute it again
I wish my friends would play the Scrabble app, instead. It's amazing, an ad filled app that ignores your desire to have quiet...is more popular than a respectful one without ads (Scrabble)...

No adds in my version. I paid for it, like I did Scrabble. Furthmore, my WWF app adheres to the sound settings on my iPad and iPhone. If I'm muted, no sound at all from the game.

Wait a sec...

So because I use my iPad as an alarm clock overnight (Including displaying the time @ night) that the DND setting is useless?

Gah....

NefCanuck

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

said by NefCanuck:

said by Nezmo:

said by haroldo:

Wait a sec...

So because I use my iPad as an alarm clock overnight (Including displaying the time @ night) that the DND setting is useless?

Gah....

NefCanuck

That I'm not sure of. Haroldo did explain above that what I said is actually defeatable in settings anyway.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to NefCanuck

said by NefCanuck:

No.

I use my iphone with DND set over night and my alarm goes off before DND is scheduled off -- works fine. AND I don't get buzzed or anything else form WwF.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

haroldo

united state
reply to NefCanuck

said by NefCanuck:

Alarm Clock ignores DND (as it should)
I use it regularly, it works.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
reply to darcilicious

said by darcilicious:

said by NefCanuck:

No.

I use my iphone with DND set over night and my alarm goes off before DND is scheduled off -- works fine. AND I don't get buzzed or anything else form WwF.

I read, perhaps mistakenly, that the poster was using a third party alarm app like those that display various clock formats, etc. If that's the case then I assume you'd need to set the device settings appropriately as Haroldo had mentioned earlier.

If the poster meant the built in alarm app then your statement is relevant.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

NefCanuck

Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms

said by Nezmo:

said by darcilicious:

said by NefCanuck:

No.

I read, perhaps mistakenly, that the poster was using a third party alarm app like those that display various clock formats, etc. If that's the case then I assume you'd need to set the device settings appropriately as Haroldo had mentioned earlier.

If the poster meant the built in alarm app then your statement is relevant.

I use the alarm function from TuneInPro on my iPad, which also gives me a clock display that I can read at night without my glasses on.

NefCanuck

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
reply to Daemon

I want ability to require (or not) passcode in order to initiate Airplane mode or Turn Off.

haroldo

united state
reply to Daemon

Amazingly Mail still can't handle group distribution lists.
I'm not a geek, so I can't imagine the complexity involved, but if you can create and use mailing lists in OS X I don't understand why it's not possible in iOS.

haroldo

united state
reply to BellBoy

said by BellBoy:

Another thing would be to get Siri to have the ability to interact with apps in use--my thoughts are primarily with the traffic side of Maps. If the info was solid enough, she could warn you when congestion was encountered and give you an alternate route before it was too late.

This already exists with the Waze driving app. It automatically changes your route to avoid traffic. It works great.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to haroldo

This looks like a bit of a work around, but maybe it'll be enough:

»email.about.com/od/iphonemailtip···Ipad.htm

Have you ever tried that? There's a link for creating the "group" contact there as well.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

AppleGuy
Premium
join:2013-09-08
Canada
reply to Daemon

Ability for phone to not notify you of incoming texts while on the phone.
I hate when I'm talking to someone, then you hear notification and the phone buzzes. Should be silenced when on the phone.

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX
kudos:3

said by AppleGuy:

Ability for phone to not notify you of incoming texts while on the phone.
I hate when I'm talking to someone, then you hear notification and the phone buzzes. Should be silenced when on the phone.

Definitely.
--
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

haroldo

united state
reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff:

Have you ever tried that? There's a link for creating the "group" contact there as well.

Yeah, not easy to work with. Hoping for an Apple-esque elegant solution, however.

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
reply to Daemon

Built in IR emitter to allow for apps that can control my television

haroldo

united state
reply to Daemon

I know Apple hates buttons and I hope I don't get in trouble for suggesting it, but I really wish they'd add a button so you can EASILY add a reminder.
It's frustrating trying to figure out how to add one. I don't use app that frequently and this morning it took me five swipes and about fifteen seconds to find the empty line. What's wrong with adding a plus sign button?

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA
reply to haroldo

said by haroldo:

said by BellBoy:

Another thing would be to get Siri to have the ability to interact with apps in use--my thoughts are primarily with the traffic side of Maps. If the info was solid enough, she could warn you when congestion was encountered and give you an alternate route before it was too late.

This already exists with the Waze driving app. It automatically changes your route to avoid traffic. It works great.

Perhaps...but my thoughts are here is that Siri TELLS you why you're being rerouted.
--
"When the day comes that anyone can bend our country's laws and lawmakers to serve selfish, competitive ends, that day democratic government dies." -- Preston Tucker, June 1948

JustLikeThat

join:2014-02-21
reply to Daemon

I would like to see a guest/child account option in IOS 8.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
reply to haroldo

It seems complicated but it really isn't. You do it once and then it is done.

haroldo

united state

I know, I did it,...but let's say there's a list of 20 people and you send to all but one or two (I do this regularly). Not fun having to edit that address on iOS.

haroldo

united state

1 edit
reply to Daemon

I wish you could use the iPhone upside down. The screen reorients properly when used upside down with certain apps, not all of them, however, not the home screen...yet, somehow, iPad can be used upside down for all apps

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Daemon

Better flexibility in Date & Time / Calendar / Phone # display. I don't want to have to choose whatever "Region Format" that Apple thinks everybody in my region should use, or select the least-bad option from another region.

For example, I like to see info displayed like this:
01-Mar-2014 (Not March 1, 2014)
2014-03-01 (Not 3-1-14 or 1-3-14 or ... )
21:33 (Not 9:33 PM)
SMTWThFSa on Calendar (Not MTWThFSaSu)
1-311-555-2368 (Not 13115 552368 ... )

Since 2001, I have found "short dates" very confusing, and this problem won't resolve itself even partially until 2032!
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

2 edits

You can easily set iDevices to use 24 hour time now (settings>>general>>date & time).

If you could live with the Monday thing, then the UK regional setting seems to be what you want. To get around the Monday thing, I recommend using Fantastical as a calendar replacement -- much better than the default one anyhow.

As far as phone numbers in contacts go, it looks as though those are always displayed in their native format (I have relatives in Australia and Sweden) which is actually probably best anyhow.

--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

I appreciate the suggestions.

said by darcilicious:

You can easily set iDevices to use 24 hour time now (settings>>general>>date & time).

Yes, I already do that.

said by darcilicious:

If you could live with the Monday thing, then the UK regional setting seems to be what you want.

Yes, I already do that. Meaning, I use UK, occasionally schedule stuff on the wrong days, and live with it.

said by darcilicious:

To get around the Monday thing, I recommend using Fantastical as a calendar replacement -- much better than the default one anyhow.

I will check that out, but I stand by my request. Apple should allow a la carte selections, not enforce regional preference hegemony.

said by darcilicious:

As far as phone numbers in contacts go, it looks as though those are always displayed in their native format

Usually, but not always. I have had some issues with wrong formats in certain screens but I can't recall off the top of my head.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

haroldo

united state
reply to Daemon

I wish the display would show the category (work, home, etc.) for the incoming call.
At times, I might ignore certain calls...unless, for example, the person is calling from a cell phone at a time when they would typically be calling from work.
Minor issue, but thought I'd throw my wish into the mix

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX
kudos:3
reply to ArgMeMatey

said by ArgMeMatey:

Better flexibility in Date & Time / Calendar / Phone # display. I don't want to have to choose whatever "Region Format" that Apple thinks everybody in my region should use, or select the least-bad option from another region.

Good point. For example, I'm like the one of the few Americans that prefers the metric system but changing iPad's regional setting to Canada so that the weather widget displays temperature in celsius also impacts everything else and I will start to get results from Google Canada and such. Argh.
--
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA
reply to Ctrl Alt Del

said by Ctrl Alt Del:

A magical and revolutionary way to transfer a damn file from my laptop to my iPhone without needing iTunes or a wire. Maybe they can call it something like AirDrop.

I have a couple apps (from the App store) that can do that with photos and sound files (and video I think). On the laptop you open a browser to an address the app tells you of and files go both ways. Music D/L even draws from Dropbox.

Just look, you'll be surprised by the serendipity.