how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

swanlee

join:2013-12-05

1 edit

[Business] Business class option for getting around the Cap for Comcast

So I'm throwing around some numbers to see if it makes sense to go to business class internet. Because of bundles and bundle discounts this makes things confusing but after talking to a business class rep it look like I'd only be paying 30$ more a month to split packages and I'd get a little faster internet.

Who here has gone to business class and broken up their triple play package? Was it worth it to get around the data caps and did it really not cost much more once you split up your bundle discounts?

Edited to add topic group category. sortofageek See Profile

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

Re: Business class option for getting around the Cap for Comcast

I went from Comcast residential internet only to Comcast business, and my cost was decreased. For some reason, Comcast doesn't charge sales tax on business lines in my state. Though there is a sales tax charge on residential.

I've tried Comcast, Dish and DirecTV. So far, I'm increasingly moving toward internet sources for entertainment.

My GP of data use went from 20 to 60 then to 80 then 100 then 140 then 200 ... almost every year or so ... currently I'm using slightly over 400 GB per month. Mostly it's smart TV's, Amazon, Netflix, Youtube and Hulu+. Interestingly my Samsung smart TV's can even play Hulu (not plus) via their browser. If Aereo wins in the Supreme Court, and if they ever get smart TV support, I'll be a full cable / satellite cutter.

I wouldn't go to residential and have caps is at all possible to avoid.
--
Congress could mess up a one piece jigsaw puzzle.

FirebirdTN

join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to swanlee
I too have considered this.

My questions are: Do they allow customer owned EMTAs like they do with residential, or do you have to have one of their business class routers and a separate Comcast provided EMTA?

I am a "double play" subscriber. Blast HSI+voice.

-Alan

cybiko123
Premium
join:2008-12-01
Chicago, IL
You definitely don't need one of their routers; we use our own SB6141 on business class. Not sure about the EMTA.

Streetlight

join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to swanlee
How "much" Internet are you using per month and what is your current speed tier? Is there a reason you might need multiple fixed IP addresses? Are you planning on setting up your own servers needing access to the Internet?

Right now, depending on where you live, there are no bandwidth caps but there seems to be a good possibility that there will be a ~300 GB/month cap with $10 per 50 GB or fraction thereof over the 300 GB, so you need to know how many GB you use now and expect to use in the future. If you do or plan to do a lot of video streaming, gaming, etc., because there are multiple simultaneous users in your household, it might make sense to go Business Class, but 12 or 16 Gb/s downstream speeds may be too slow for a satisfactory experience for everyone. Higher speed tiers cost more. And there are installation fees so you need to figure how long it'll take to recover them if ever. All this must be taken into account in your cost benefit analysis.
--
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.

Sherlock Holmes in
The Boscombe Valley Mystery
A. C. Doyle
Strand Magazine, October 1891

patryan9

join:2004-06-16
Bolton, CT
reply to swanlee
Make sure to consider that you'll need to sign a business class contract and if you cancel for any reason (including moving to someplace that doesn't have Comcast) you'll owe them a cancellation fee.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

1 recommendation

reply to swanlee
I haven't been going over the cap so I haven't looked into this. I can tell you my brother has went through this. He had the preferred TV package (everything but premium channels and sports package) and Blast internet. Getting blast internet in business class was a lot more expensive. So he bought performance internet and the preferred TV equivalent and only pays $20 more per month than he did with his double play package. (About $130 a month and he signed a 2 year deal).

He has no caps now and has the right TV package he wants and its a great deal for him.

I believe the only caveat is that you have to get business TV and phone as well as internet. You can't get residential TV and phone, and then get the business internet at the same address. At least he had that problem when he initially signed up, but that was 3 years ago. Things could have changed on this front.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

ResTV_BizHSI

@comcast.net
said by Nightfall:

I believe the only caveat is that you have to get business TV and phone as well as internet. You can't get residential TV and phone, and then get the business internet at the same address. At least he had that problem when he initially signed up, but that was 3 years ago. Things could have changed on this front.

~3 years ago when I first got Comcast Business Class HSI, I just added the BC HSI to my existing residential TV connection. I actually tried to get Business Class TV service (it was cheaper at the time with a bundle), but I was told that I could not get Business Class TV service unless I had a business that had a waiting room for customers, and/or a canteen/lounge area for employees (my installation is in a home office environment). Of course, like most things that Comcast offers, the rules vary in each franchise.

swanlee

reply to swanlee

Re: [Business] Business class option for getting around the Cap for Comcast

I'm in a capped area, 300gb cap using the blast plan 50mb dl speeds. I can use anywhere from 200-500gb a month which will only increase. I don't want my family to have to restrict or use of the internet. I don't want to have to worry about going over. We stream alot of hd netflix, hd amazon prime and I have an Xbox one where games I download are 20-45gb in size.

The business class is 75/15 which is an upgrade over blast.

I would be removing phone and internet from my current triple play package and putting both of thos on the Business plan while keeping TV and Home alarm with residential Comcast.

So has anyone done this and how did it work out.

swanlee

reply to Nightfall

I talked to a business rep and they would not give me TV only internet and phone. Speeds were 75/15 and I got a bundle discount for phone.

swanlee

reply to swanlee

Re: [Business] Business class option for getting around the Cap for Comcast

Well never mind, comcast is so lame so removing my internet and phone from my triple play package ups the price horribly. I'd end up paying 350$ a month for an uncapped internet plan, Tv, phone, home alarm compared with 250$ right now.

Even though my internet and phone would still be with Comcast they would still break up the bundle and charge me 130$ alone for cable plus 20$ for the cable box.

Ugg I hate this wish google fiber was in my area. My only other choice is 6mb ATT DSL with a 250gb cap and that is not going to work.

train_wreck

join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
welcome to corporate oligopolies.i know in my area, i was paying ~$99 for 50/10 residential, and going to business class w/no static IPs brought that up to ~$149. i didn't have or want TV service on residential, but when I moved to business class, insanely enough it was cheaper to ADD TV service - that brought the bill down ~$15. figure that one out.

have you checked to see if there is a local ISP in your area? often they can be quite competitive.

swanlee

Nope no other high speed internet in my area besides 6mb dsl. So lame

scooter360

join:2005-01-22
Portland, OR
reply to swanlee
Here's my deal. I have Comcast Business Class Internet access. I have my own modem. I have my own router and DNS server. I pay about 110 per month for 22/6 but I actually get typically 70mb x 40mb connection. I never really have any problems. I do not use Comcast for TV in any fashion I only use them for internet access. The only requirement they have for modems is it has to be docsis 3 compliant other than that, they could care less. They do not scan you for content nor do they cap you in business class. They do not tell you to eat it if you have your own dns, dhcp, router, modem when you call them for support and their techs are quick to respond if there's an issue. I work for a phone / cable company so i can troubleshoot my own IW problems when or if those issues arrise.

catnapped

join:2010-11-22
Elizabethtown, PA
reply to swanlee
Have they removed the requirement that you pretty much have to have one of the Motorola modems that are on "the list"?

Have to also keep in mind that residential caps are still in the slim minority of subscribers (has anyone complained here about getting hit with overage yet)? Almost seems like they'd start to expand them one the upcoming speed doubling becomes widespread.

WestMIservic

@comcastbusiness.net

1 recommendation

reply to swanlee
I have been communicating with Business Comcast reps for a week now.

200 Mins, over a dozen reps and one supervisor, 8 hang ups with NO RETURN calls or emails.

We have had Comcast Business Class internet and phone for over 2 years now. The service and rates were very good, quality of services great and no problems. We had the 2nd tier above the starter package with a static IP and 1 phone line with voice mail.

UNTIL I noticed speeds dropping and I followed up by looking on their website and noticed all of their internet packages had changed.

We were getting speeds of 22.XX Download/3.XX Upload and when running the speedtest I noticed we were constantly getting 18.XX Download/2.XX Upload and that is in line with their newest starter package 16/2. A couple of the reps could not understand what I was complaining about. I was getting better speeds than the new plan allotted 16/2.

So I asked why my speeds were lowered to a starter package speed and not the 2nd tier package at a higher rate? Finally I got a rep to see what I was telling them and suggested I downgrade to the new monthly cost at 16/2 Starter at a savings or upgrade to the Deluxe 50 package 50/10 for the same price. Then the rep asked if I had voice mail, and I said yes, well then it will be $5.00 more per month. Voice mail is not included in the price of the phone now.

I agreed to the Deluxe 50 plan with voice mail for $5.00 more per month for all the same services we had before and at a higher 50/10 speeds. Digitally signed the contract for two years and was told to wait overnight and restart the router and we would be on the new speeds. GREAT!!

So at 7:30 am I did restart the router and NO CHANGE. I waited until the afternoon, just to give them more time to make the changes.

Then as of today, NO CHANGE in speed. I made 3 calls yesterday, dropped twice (one by a supervisor) and a nice person tried to switch it as I waited on the phone. He found out my AREA does not have it available. He took my number to call me back today to see WHEN these Packages would be available in our area.

It's 5:30 PM EST at the time of this writing and NO CALL, EMAIL or otherwise from anyone at Comcast.

NOTE: One of the reps said "You was no longer in contract and I should just tear up the new contact and find another company for my services" WOW~!~~~~~~~~~~~

No that's a way to keep your company in business and keep your job.

I know this does not directly relate to the subject "Business class option for getting around the Cap for Comcast" but I wanted everyone to be aware of Comcast Business Class packages and their changes.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
Are you sure what you were noticing wasn't the fact the Powerboost is no longer active?

ResTV_BizHSI

@comcast.net
reply to catnapped
said by catnapped:

Have they removed the requirement that you pretty much have to have one of the Motorola modems that are on "the list"?

Not officially, but the list has expanded to include the Cisco DPC3008 along with the Arris/Motorola SB6120, SB6121, and SB6141.

OTOH, many have reported being able to use the WalledGarden site to activate a wide variety of modems for BCI. I have an old D-Link DCM202 that I activated (before it was declared EOL) on my BCI account for use as a hot-swap spare (it would have been better than being down until my primary modem could be replaced); but if that had been my only modem I strongly suspect that had I called support with a connectivity problem, the DCM202 would have been automatically blamed as the cause of the trouble (even before it was declared EOL).

In summary, a BCI dynamic IP account can likely use any of the DOCSIS 3 modems on the full compatibility list (if it will activate using the WalledGarden), but I would suggest purchasing and activating at least two modems (so that you can tell support that you have already swapped modems before calling) just in case you needed to place a service call.

FureverFurry
Premium
join:2012-02-20
Wyoming, MI
reply to patryan9

Also consider that the CC business class contracts renew. There are alot of unhappy business customers whose contracts renewed without (supposedly) any notice.