how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Xtreme2damax

join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY

Cheap T1 Provider in Central New York

In October I moved out to the country in a mobile home park right in the place behind my parents. By now, after nine years that they lived out here I would have thought something better in the way of internet service would have expanded out this way by now. We're now in 2014 and still can't get wireless through a wisp or 4G out here and were only a short ten or fifteen minute drive outside the city and village. Houses aren't that sparse with houses up the road, down the road and some nearby businesses. When I moved here I was led to believe I could get DSL, Verizon and Earthlink claimed my address was serviced by DSL, when checking my address on their website it showed and still shows I was eligible for DSL. It took a visit from a Verizon tech to verify I am too far away to get DSL service. So in 2014 my options are still dial-up, slow satellite with high latency or 3G, neither of which are really sufficient for online gaming or sufficient for an enjoyable experience and the latter two are plagued with low data caps.

So I was looking into a T1 connection as an option so I can stay where I am. Even though I debate in my mind why is this service so expensive in this day and age when we can get fiber with faster symmetrical speeds than a T1 connection for much cheaper. Then I remind myself that it is a business grade connection and dedicated although the latter doesn't matter so much when decent fiber connections can give advertised speeds 99% of the time.Then again it basically can go anywhere as long as you don't live on the mountains, in the desert with no civilization for miles or sometimes hundreds of miles.

Yes it's expensive but I was going over my finances and after bills are paid I am left with around $300 - $400 every month and I might take up some work to support costs or let my parents bounce off of it if they pay me some money since both me and my parents are looking for better internet out here since satellite on the best days absoulutely sucks worse than even slow 3G. I have a 3G hotspot but my ping is over 100ms to all TF2 servers I try to play on and I lag something wicked. Plus the low data caps makes it frustrating to play games online, stream audio and video.

I've decided to post in search of a low cost T1 provider with minimal setup costs. I will be going over my finances to ensure I have enough to cover costs per month, perhaps no more than $250 /mo at most for T1 service. This is literally my only option for decent internet here and I don't want to move because I like where I am located; rent is cheap, it's quiet, scenic and I am close to my parents.

Thanks to anyone that can help.
--

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY

4 edits
Apologies for the double post. Can someone please provide some information on the subject of this topic? The topic below this one has not received any further replies in four days and my topic below that one has not received any further replies in nearly a month. Today I created a topic in the feedback section about a concerning lack of activity here which ironically hasn't been approved yet and I posted that topic early this morning.

I am located in the Montezuma, NY area with a Port Byron mailing address. The area I reside in is only a short ten to fifteen minute drive from the city/village. I can't for the life of me understand why no better options (not even 4G/LTE, really?) have come out this way in the nine years my parents have lived here. Both myself and my parents are tired of waiting so I'm looking into investing in a cheap T1 line, even 1 - 3 Mbit /s unlimited is still better than satellite or 3G data. Perhaps I'll discuss splitting costs with my parents or see if they'll help pay so much per month and run a line from my place to theirs since I am right behind them.

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY
reply to Xtreme2damax
Heeeelllooooo, anybody here browsing around? Man, what is up with activity at this community as of recently?
--

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
It's been like 18 hours, and you've laid out a pretty specific request...

Only way to get a T1 is through the local ILEC anyways, as it's a facility-based carrier... So whoever your telco is, will be providing the T1, no matter who the service provider is at the other end... May as well start with them for pricing, anyways.

T-carrier pricing is typically distance based, so no one but the telco can give you an exact cost...

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY
reply to Xtreme2damax
Sorry, it just seems that activity on this community is kind of non-existent or dwindling. The thread below has gone five days without further replies and my thread below that hasn't receive any further replies for nearly a month now. In other more active sections questions can go without replies for hours or days. I raised a concern about a seeming lack of activity early yesterday morning in the feedback section, it took half a day for a mod to approve the topic and has went unanswered since then. So I feel if I am not a bit vigilant with bumping but within reasonable means that my question will remain unnoticed and therefore unanswered.
--

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
kudos:1
You realize a T1 is 1.5Mbps right ? A T1 line has 24 channels capable of a max speed of 64Kbs per channel so a max speed of 24 x 64Kb = 1536Kbs. Barely enough for one user to stream Netflix in low def. to one device. For $300 plus per month plus installation costs typically in the 10's of thousands of dollars....

And the reason that this forum is near dead is because ppl almost never post here so there's no traffic=no interesting content = no traffic.

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY

3 edits
reply to Xtreme2damax
Well I can stream from Youtube and from other video streaming services fairly well with my Virgin Mobile 3G connection, only problem is low data caps and ping over 100ms with terrible latency so online gaming suffers. I think I only ever experienced videos buffering once or twice but that was typically whenever the signal and speed would drop. I was surprised at this since Youtube streaming worked much better over my 3G connection than it did when I had Fios. My fastest speeds over 3G:

1.5 mbps downstream
0.45 mbps upstream
100ms - 200ms ping

Myself and my mother looked into a company offering 3/3 mbps T1 for around $270 /mo but I was wondering if that is the cheapest price I could expect or is anyone offering cheaper?

As I said I don't have any other choices. Satellite internet is a joke with it's high latency and low data caps, 3G is lower latency but even more limited and dial up is just slow period. I am not going to move just for internet service, where I am my rent is cheaper than anywhere else even cheaper than an efficiency apartment in the city. I am close to my parents and I've known the landlady here for a while since I was living out here with my parents prior to moving a few years back. Also speed is not so much an issue, pretty much everything except dial up is going to be better than satellite internet service. If I have to wait a while longer for files to download there is no problem, I am a patient person.

I really want to get on Verizon's or the cable and cell companies cases and persuade them to extend affordable high speed, low latency broadband to us but I would probably be wasting my time and always get the same scripted response. I've been debating on walking around the neighborhood, up and down the roads to see if I can get signatures from anyone that wants better broadband service out here. It's pathetic that with the short distance outside the city and village, where we live that we can't even get 4G/LTE service.

Semaphore
Premium
A T1 is 1.5Mbps. 3x3Mbps might be a pair of bonded T1's also called a T1-C. A T2 is 6x6. Availability of a T1-C does not ensure the availability of a T1-C, T2, or T3.

I haven't used a T circ for so long I can't give you a decent current price, but I would think that $300 is probably the bottom end. In 2009 I paid $15K for installation in town, at 7 blocks from the Central Office, and $1,700 per month for a T1.

Most likely Your biggest cost, by far, will be installation.

The decision to service an area by large ISPs or 'common carriers' typically works on a factor called 'cost per home passed' and the level of interest in an area is of almost no value in that formula so a petition is going to get you nowhere with them.

You might consider looking into a Fixed Wireless ISP - there may be one in your area and for the cost of a T circ install you could build a good sized tower and maybe entice them to service the area. If they are good at what they do your Ping will be as low as DSL and the speeds can be very high »www.speedtest.net/my-result/3219460689

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY

1 edit
reply to Xtreme2damax
As I said there are plenty of homes and some businesses here as well as town offices, I am located a short ten or fifteen minute drive at most outside the city and village. I'm sure there are equal or smaller establishments around the country with less houses per mile with access to better options than us. It's mostly just a case of isp's and cell carriers in the area being retarded (excuse me for that term) with their service availability in some areas. There isn't any options, not even wireless other than 3G. Someone else suggested this to me and I had to tell him I looked into other options. The only high speed broadband we can get is satellite or 3G, the former is plagued by latency and low data caps, the latter even though latency is better than satellite is plagued by even lower caps. There is no 4G/LTE/Wimax or any other high speed wireless with higher data caps that reaches here. You want to know a pisser? Apparently TDS serves the road running right by us only 300ft - 500ft away but we can't get service down our road in the mobile home park we live in.

I'm sure if I am persistent enough a petition and calling Verizon or the cable company regarding service on a daily basis it might be enough. At least it might persuade them if they see there is enough genuine interest for their services out here.

Semaphore
Premium
It's hard to believe that there isn't a WISP in that area.
You've tried this ? »netforum.avectra.com/eweb/Dynami···rgSearch

I've worked in/for/with Telecom for 25+ years. I know how they are built and how they 'think'. Even 5 thousand people mean less than nothing in a market of 50+ million and calling them daily will do nothing to escalate your case although you might hospitalize yourself with the stress. Good luck.

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY

2 edits
reply to Xtreme2damax
Well I am sure I'm not the only one that wants service here. Perhaps if I and several other people in the area start calling for service they might see there is a potential market here or get sick of the constant calls and finally decide to extend service to everyone here. Are you referring to 50+ million for the entire country or just the area around me? If it's the latter you are referring to, the city in my county has less than 30,000 residents and Fios, cable, wireless, dsl, 4G/LTE is available. Even fewer residents in the nearby village and cable, dsl, wireless and possibly 4G/LTE is available. Even if it's 50+ million country wide there are local numbers to reach Verizon and I am sure local tech support for the area is not handling 50+ million customers. Even quicker would be to call the corporate number which most normal customers don't call. So every time we have to have a tech come out or we see Verizon employees selling service in the area we make it a point to mention their lack of service in our town and ask when they plan on offering us service. A few years back we heard, "We plan on offering service in your area within the next couple years." It's now 2014 and still no signs of anything else other than dial up, satellite or 3G. I guess they don't think anyone here wants to or has the need to run an online business, work online or take college classes online. Hmm.. I wonder what happened to all those plans and funding from the Governor for broadband expansion in CNY? Probably in their pockets as usual. Someone said it went to the satellite companies and I had a laugh, didn't believe the cook. I mean how ridiculous is that, why would it go to satellite companies when they already offer service pretty much everywhere. But then I realized no one elected into office has their head on straight and priorities in order and it all made sense. What we were fighting for was low latency uncapped or reasonably capped terrestrial or wireless broadband, not the crappy satellite service we can already get.

It probably won't even cost them much, hell I am sure the wiring/infrastructure runs right through here and it's a matter of running fiber or cable to the poles then hooking up houses. They could recoup costs rather quick and even pull a profit if the wiring is already there.

I'm really getting tired of these greedy isp's especially with how pathetic the state of broadband (availability, speed, price) is compared to some less wealthy, less advanced and less fortunate countries. This is ironic considering the USA basically invented and/or laid the foundation for modern day internet.

quote:
It's hard to believe that there isn't a WISP in that area.
Well you better believe it. I checked high and far and there is nothing else. Yes I can get wireless but it is slow 3G with low caps and typically 100ms -200ms ping which gets me wrecked in online games. That 100ms ping actually feels double that on a good day and I get spikes up to 750ms sometimes. Who would have thought I couldn't get 4G/Wimax/LTE here? When I get my hotspot re-activated at least I can see where the cutoff for Sprint 4G is (and weep) when I go for a ride into the village or city.
--

Semaphore
Premium
said by Xtreme2damax:

If it's the latter you are referring to, the city in my county has less than 30,000 residents and Fios, cable, wireless, dsl, 4G/LTE is available. Even fewer residents in the nearby village and cable, dsl, wireless and possibly 4G/LTE is available. Even if it's 50+ million country wide there are local numbers to reach Verizon and I am sure local tech support for the area is not handling 50+ million customers.

In Telco, Local Tech support has no input of any weight on build.

You may not have a grip on the OPEX and CAPEX required to deploy something like DSL let alone fibre. The companies with the easement rights and the financial capability to do FIOS or Fibre have a national market. That Market is 300M+ people. Of the three largest in the US they have 40-70M customers each. In the big picture they don't look at 5K people. They look at millions.

Smaller companies might not be able to make any money doing your area (presumably so) due to easement and latching fees. Do you know what it costs to get onto a pole in your area ? Can new infrastructure be built or are the CLECs forced to co locate at the incumbents (typically) ridiculous fees ?

A commonly held public opinion is that the big ISP's are greedy or stupid, or.... and so they won't serve area X, and those may be reasons in a few cases but most of the time it's because they have determined that it is not financially viable to do. Harassing front line employee's, or even 2 and 3rd level will not change that. Like any other business if they don't make money they go out of business and the people responsible for those decisions are so far removed from the front lines your comments will never come close to reaching them. Honestly I've been up and down and around almost every level of that business many times.

IMHO Your best bet to draw attention is that the muni political level. Telco's are somewhat sensitive to politics. Particularly if your Muni decides to build it's own :-0 .

From the energy in your compositions I'd guess you are relatively young, so something to be prepared for is that you'd probably be better heard if your spokesperson at the muni level was mmmmmm maybe 40 to 50 years of age. "Damn kid" Blinders happen a lot in muni-politics in my experience. Preferably that's someone that has business ties in the town. Get the ear of a few of your council in private. Meet with them with your spokesperson befor taking it public. Warm them to the topic. Sell economic development, and then take it to the full muni level (council?). That's where you petition might help - fill the council chamber with 200 bodies and the politicians might listen. Be prepared for a VERY slow moving process.

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY
reply to Xtreme2damax
Well I guess my only hope is for reliable high speed terrestrial or wireless broadband to eventually be declared basic utility like electric or phone service. Only then will areas like mine that aren't tens of miles out have access to better options.
--

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY

4 edits
reply to Xtreme2damax
Well embarrassingly I am 30 but I suppose that is still fairly young? I would eventually like to see something better come out here. Nine years of waiting and nothing has changed, if someone doesn't do something soon nine more years or longer will pass. Even though there are likely other people wanting better broadband service out here no one else is going to attempt to convince these corporations to extend service to our area. I feel like it's up to me to try doing what I can to push for better broadband service in my area since no one else is going to bother taking any sort of initiative. I could only hope I get a large backing from people in the area, other people outside the area that feel sorry for us and want to show their support. One can only dream of catching the notice of someone important that actually has the power to do something.

I could forgive lack of service if I lived tens of miles into the country, on the plains, in a desert or on a mountain with houses few and far between with the nearest (sub)urban area a half hour to an hour drive away. When I only live a short ten minute drive, six to eight miles outside two very close (sub)urban areas the lack of reliable broadband service is pushing past the point of ridiculousness. When someone resides in an area that is a fifty mile drive away from a grocery store or a post office the lack of reliable broadband service is completely understandable and forgivable. These are the areas where satellite should be the only option for broadband, not places similar to the area where I live. If these corporations are unable to offer us fiber, cable and DSL service we should at the very least have access to 4G/Wimax/LTE/Wireless with reasonable monthly caps. TDS offers service on the roads running parallel to our road 500ft away in each direction but won't come down our road. TDS claimed they won't come down our road into the mobile home park because someone else (Verizon) maintains the lines.
--

Goliath2k
Premium
join:2013-12-28
united state
reply to Xtreme2damax
Have you tried spending a few hundred dollars on an antenna and amplifier setup in order to boost the performance of your wireless connection?

We spent a couple hundred dollars on an amplifier and it makes a HUGE difference in the performance of our 3G Internet.

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY
I was thinking about it. My only qualms with mobile data is the ridiculously low caps, lag in online game and 3G isn't all that fast. It seems that I would have to be dead centered in the city to get 4G coverage with a decent signal. The further away I go from downtown the 4G signal tapers off and eventually cuts out right outside city limits. I am only six to eight miles outside the city and village and wish there was some way to get a 4G signal at the very least if none of the service providers want to expand cable, fiber or DSL out here.
--

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY
reply to Xtreme2damax
Btw, is there anyone out there offering an "unlimited" 3G plan? I know Cricket does but I don't think I can get Cricket service here and I used cricket in the City and speed was very poor. I need a prepaid provider since I won't pass the credit check that contract carriers perform. Perhaps service based on the Sprint network since the tower is close and I get excellent reception.
--

jbrewno

join:2010-01-21
Port Byron, NY
Reviews:
·TDS Communications
Hey i live in Montezuma too, In a trailer park. I have had millenicom for like 3 years now on verizon 20 gb cap a month. It was working good up until about 2 -3 months ago when i moved down the road to here. Cant get anything wired like dsl, or cable or anything good. U find any other options yet? I used to game on it pretty regularly , playing like counter strike and stuff like that. I might have to try that amplifier thing. Where do i get one ?

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY

3 edits
Heh, by any chance is it Bennets Mobile Home Park? I live there, technically it's located in the town of Monetezuma or right outside the town but we have Port Byron mailing addresses. I am maybe a half mile to a mile or two from the bridge by the Wildlife Refuge, the state thruway is just down the road. It would be something if we are in the same park because the only other Mobile Home parks I know of are either in Port Byron or close to Auburn.

I was looking into Millenicom but atm I've been using my parents satellite internet via wifi or using my Virgin Mobile 3G hotspot. The former makes playing most online games impossible and is slow as molasses at loading even the simplest of web pages sometimes, the latter option I can use to play games online but suffer from severe lag with high ping times in excess of 100ms. The 3G feels more snappy at loading web pages and streaming videos but mostly sucks for online games, that is probably due to the inherently higher latency common with satellite internet that makes 3G feel much faster than it is.

Someone from a Wisp that offers 4G Wimax/LTE said LTE via Sprint towers is in the area but not officially rolled out where I'm located as of yet. I did some research and evidence suggests the closest Sprint tower that my 3G device connects to is currently in the process of being upgraded to 4G LTE. If and when 4G LTE is deployed, with a proper LTE device could mean speeds on par with or faster than the basic cable internet plan offered from Time Warner. The Wisp I am looking into offers an unlimited plan for $100 /mo and that includes 3G data and 4G LTE data.

The wireless service provider is referred to as TBBroadband on the forum here and their website is www.tbbroadband.us. He mentioned they currently serve the Port Byron area but are also focusing on semi-rural and rural areas around Port Byron and Auburn. My parents spoke with a Verizon rep selling service at a kiosk in Walmart and were told that they were planning on expanding Fios to Union Springs and elsewhere. They might eventually expand Fios to cover some semi-rural areas here in Cayuga county outside of Auburn and Port Byron. I am optimistic and hopeful this will eventually happen but I doubt it. I sure hope it'll happen since my parents have been here nine years now with their only options being dial up or satellite and more recently 3G coverage. With us only being six to eight miles at most outside the city and village, a short ten or so minute drive internet options should not be so limited, truly rural folks on the other hand is another story.

Edit: As for a signal amplifier and antenna they can be quite costly. Might be able to purchase cheaper by shopping around. Here's a list of some devices on Amazon:

»www.amazon.com/s?rh=n:2407782011···41786011

Btw, with your Millenicom, can you pick up any 4G/LTE signal with it or only 3G? Do you get a constant signal strength or does it continually vary and moving the device boosts signal temporarily, what is your average signal strength? Apparently coverage maps for Verizon are lit up with 4G/LTE coverage around the thruway up the road a bit but when someone visited me with his Verizon 4G LTE phone he was only able to receive a 3G signal.

It would be cool if you live in the same park as I do. I have a boat load of games and I am always looking to make some new friends since I have such a lackluster social life, none of my current friends are the gaming types. I tend to play Team Fortress 2 more often than other games but also own Counter-Strike: Source, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Left4Dead, Left4Dead2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, TES: Skyrim and other games.

jbrewno

Port Byron, NY
Reviews:
·TDS Communications
reply to Xtreme2damax
Hey, yea, we live in the same park (bennets). I only have the 3g through Millenicom. Ill do some speed tests in a minute and post below. My gf has verizon 4g on her phone and it sometimes picks it up but most of the time its in 3g. Millenicom offers the 3g/4g now but idk if it would be worth my time to update to it because he phone is always going to 3g. I been playing Insurgency, Day of defeat source, and Counter strike source on it a little bit since i moved here but somtimes the ping just spikes. Its weird because when i try to tether with my iphone instead (on the same verizon network) It seems to work better at times. Are you going to try that TBROADBAND? I would love to see Fios come out here. I used to live on the other road up the street, (Fuller RD) for 4 years and it seemed like the 3g connection was better towards that way. TDS also gave me the run around when i first moved in there. Had Wild Blue for a couple weeks, got out of it before contract go stuck on me. I think i just been throttled this month through millenicom because when i hooked my computer up at my new place (bennets) steam had updated all the games and i used 14gb that month. Which i get 20 but idk they are shady about it. Lol keep it touch with me!

Joe

jbrewno

Port Byron, NY
Reviews:
·TDS Communications

Im not really sure how to test signal, honestly

Today is a pretty good day for it, it seems, LOL ik but im being serious!

add me on steam --- Jbrewno86 . .. my name comes up as stealth

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY

2 edits
reply to jbrewno
Alright, I will let you know. Hopefully I will get set up with TBBroadband sometime this much so I after I used their service for a brief while I'll be sure to post some kind of review. TBBroadband currently only offers 3G here through Sprint towers but once LTE is officially rolled out and I've tested the LTE service I'll report back.

I live over on Pinetree, moved back here in October and rented the trailer once the previous tenant decided to move. I was living with my parents up until a few years ago, I moved into the city and lived there for a few years and moved back here once the trailer became vacant.

Yeah it's too bad about cable and Fios. What ticked me and my parents off is apparently TDS goes down Fostervillle and Fuller or just Fosterville (not sure), just not down Carner. I guess this is what my mother found out from TDS or someone else so I am not sure how accurate that claim is.

Edit: Well that seems about right for 3G. For signal how many bars of service or signal percentage if your device shows that information?

With my Overdrive Pro through Virgin Mobile I was sitting between 20% to 80% signal strength. Although signal was sporadic and I had to keep adjusting the position of the device to boost the signal back up.

The fastest speed I tested with the service was 1.5Mbps download and 0.45Mbps upload. For the most part download speed was constantly above 1Mbps. When I finally switch service I hope that doesn't change for the worse and my speed either remains the same or increases.

jbrewno

Port Byron, NY
Reviews:
·TDS Communications
reply to Xtreme2damax
It depends on which program i use. If i use the novatel wireless program it comes up all 5 bars excellent signal... But if i use the Verizon Wrieless program it comes up with 2 bars. So im going to say its prolly like 2-3 bars of signal. My iphone on the same network is always stuck on 3 dots of signal. I live on Carner rd.

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY
reply to Xtreme2damax
Yeah sounds about right. I had a DroidX phone I tried out here a couple years back and only got between 1 - 2 bars on Verizon towers. On Sprint towers it's between 2 - 4 bars, 20% to 80% signal.

I really hope TBBroadband service is unlimited or offers a much higher cap at the very least. Between Steam, Windows updates, some Youtube videos a measly six GB or even a twenty GB cap is not enough. It may be enough only for those that do some light browsing or Facebook and check their email but not for my needs. Eventually, sometime after my 2yr contract is up with Dish Network I want to switch over to Hulu Plus or Netflix for television shows and movies.
--

jbrewno

Port Byron, NY
Hey do some speed tests if u get a chance wanna see what your working with

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY
reply to Xtreme2damax
Will do but I have to renew my 3G service or set up service with the new provider I was planning on going through. Btw I added you on Steam, my profile name is currently DemoDemopan.
--

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY
reply to Xtreme2damax

That's my current speedtest.

Edit: Also tested on a closer server in Syracuse, NY..