spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pghpooh

join:2003-03-05

[Need Info] Tech visit to determine if I can get a signal at my house

HI My daughter tried to have Direct tv installed at her house over the weekend and the tech said that since there is a high hill and trees behind the house getting a good signal will be hard to do. He didn't do the install and left.
My question is, I live on the same street but my house sits at the very top of the street (higher). After looking on line I got a good idea of where the dish would point. There is a hill and some trees but a big gap between the trees. If I were to call Dish or Direct and ask them to send a tech to actually tell me if and what can be done will they do that? Preferably without charging me!! LOLOL

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

She should call DirecTV back and ask for a supervisor to come out and reevaluate. I've seen some crazy installs. Including antennas pointed directly at walls 6 feet in front of them and they work great.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to pghpooh

He should have tried from a couple locations and use a sighting device. That is what our dish guy did - he tried a couple of places and got us a signal.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to pghpooh

There are a couple of iPhone apps for determing line of sight. Just search "Satellite Finder" in the App Store and there are several.

I have Dish Pointer and Sat Toolz DTV.

You'll need to find the 99, 101, and 103 satellites. The 110 and 119 DirecTV does not use much anymore. I've seen the slimline 3 dish on newer installs.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to pghpooh

said by pghpooh:

...and some trees but a big gap between the trees

Remember, trees grow. If the only shot is through that gap in the trees, most techs will refuse the job and rightfully so.

I do agree that she should have them come back out and try again. Call DirecTV directly, not a reseller, and they won't charge you anything for looking. Until they hook you up and you have service working, they won't charge you anything (and that will only be the monthly fees).

marcpilot1

join:2014-01-15
usa

2 edits
reply to pghpooh

If you wafnt to, you can get a 5 dollar compass from Wal-mart. Then you can look yourself. If theres trees at 101 degrees, or at 149 or wherever the website says the satellites are at your address, then they have to be growing pretty high in the air to block a signal. See, the compass will show you EXACTLY where the satellites are. But, it cant show how high up they are. Thats where the inclometer the techs use come in to play. Those give height readings, 49 degrees high, 31 degrees high, etc. And they will never charge y'all a dime to come out if its actual direct tv or dish network (if its a "mom and pop", maybe a small fee) Those are the ones that do those crazy installs. But if the tech works for actual direct tv or dish net then theyre not allowed to do a "crazy" install. Oh, and just because one cant get it doesnt mean the other one cant. And remember, if its just a little tree or a big ol bush or something, chop it down. Ive actually chopped branches at some of my installs just to be able to get the customer a signal. AND theres DEF good techs, bad techs, lazy techs, eager techs, and thats why a line of sight verification ALWAYS gets scheduled for a supervisor when a tech calls in a NLO. (no line of sight) And you dont even have to be there for them to double check. Sometimes if its 4 or 5 in the afternoon and its a big house, a tech will 'blow off a job' in a minute. They dont want to do a 4 room install at 4 in the afternoon and be there till 10 at night, sometimes. Sometimes you will get the right tech. He wont care if he's there till 2a.m. Or he may call another tech to come help if its gonna be a late night install. Good luck y'all!! (in my 20th year as sat tech).

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

3 edits
reply to pghpooh

It would help to know where you are too. The farther north the lower the look angle and the more critical trees and hills are.

For instance way down here at the southern most point in the US by 600 miles to most but rest of FL we look much more straight up... and only the most intense rain storms have impact and then fo just a few min as they pass over

Far north it can be one 30 miles away and for much longer period as you are looking sideways through it vs more straight up.

More severe than in might be because we are fringe of the foot print (but for local spot beam always last to go) in clear weather rarely any transponder over 70-80% (again except spotbeam local) but looking more straight up again very rare weather outage over 5 min and only when torrential rain.
--

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

1 recommendation

reply to pghpooh

Have a phone/tablet with GPS and a compass?
Try one of these types of apps: »play.google.com/store/apps/detai···eLocator

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

If he's installing the system himself, an app like that is great. If someone else will be doing the work, it may just lead to second guessing... The OP uses it and thinks things should work based on what the app says, but the tech knows and says otherwise.

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

yeah, but it would let a reasonable person make a decent estimate of the chance that it was a lazy installer (I have an old story about the installer that showed up for the 2-4 PM appointment at close to 6 PM that wanted to run the cable through my patio door. Once I told him that wasn't going to fly, he took a second look at my LOS and all of a sudden it wasn't going to work).

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Yes, you will run into "bad" installers, I agree. I'm sure that a company can keep track (even if it's from memory) where tech "A" rejects a job for no-line-of-sight and a customer gets a 2nd opinion and there is in fact LOS. That installer won't last long....

I guess my point was, just because the app says it will work isn't going to force the installer to do it.

pghpooh

join:2003-03-05
reply to pghpooh

HI
Thanks for all the info!!!! Sadly, I do not have a tablet or smart phone so the apps are out. Went to WalMart to buy a compass last week and the sales people could not find them!!!! LOLOL I agree about having a tech come late and not wanting to do extra work, etc. Years ago before I retired I had FIOS installed in my old house. Gave the tech coffee, helped him pull coax and when necessary stayed out of his way. The guy spent 4 hours doing a fantastic job with location of the onit, wiring, etc.
About a year before that called Comcast to check the drop due to the drop being over 20 years old and bare spots in the wire and the tech just blew me off. I have used some of the on line sites that show my house and the line of sight needed and it looks iffy. Both Direct and Dish said to sign up and then they would send a tech to do the install. Dish said billing starts when service is activated. For me,,, service has to be 100% dependable or I will not accept any install. I can see me fighting with the tech now!!! LOLOL Wonder how much coffee it takes to get a perfect install??? LOLOLOL
Thanks again!