·AT&T FTTP

whamel

Premium Member

SMALL cells are UGLY....

Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7

I've started to see these around Columbus OH -- There is one up near St Anne's Hospital in Westerville and I found one mounted to a wooden pole on the west side near a freeway interchange-- I wonder if these are using cable company's backbone for back haul? The ones here are mounted very very close to TWC Trunks.

whamel
Premium Member
join:2002-05-09
Evergreen Park, IL

whamel

Premium Member

The small cells by me use AT&T fiber backhauls that were originally deployed for U-Verse. I see the fiber run to the U-Verse VRAD cabinets.
jades
join:2013-04-01
New York, NY

jades to whamel

to whamel
Who cares! Consider yourself lucky, many people can't get decent cell service in their house

zephyrpete12
@comcast.net

zephyrpete12 to whamel

Anon

to whamel
What provider is using the small cell?

whamel
Premium Member
Evergreen Park, IL

whamel

Premium Member

said by zephyrpete12 :

What provider is using the small cell?

AT&T, hence the article's headline has AT&T named in it as well as in the story.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to Matt7

Premium Member

to Matt7
said by Matt7:

I wonder if these are using cable company's backbone for back haul? The ones here are mounted very very close to TWC Trunks.

Depends on the provider and who they have agreements with. Around Houston At&t uses their own fiber and T-Mobile uses Comcast. Not sure about the others, but I think Verizon might use Level 3 and other leased fiber, don't know about Sprint.
hydnar19665
join:2006-05-23
Martinsville, VA

hydnar19665 to jades

to jades
Amen to that!

NoEyesore
@comcast.net

NoEyesore to whamel

Anon

to whamel
Worse looking than the telephone pole and all those wires? I think not.

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM to whamel

Premium Member

to whamel
You're kidding right??

Towers are ugly, then Microcells are ugly, then people bitch that their phone doesn't have service everywhere.

There are a lot of people that think that the telephone poles are ugly, just to start with.

Where in the hell are they supposed to put the cells, if everyone want's perfect coverage, speed, and capacity, but nobody wants to see any of them??

They can't just build 150' tall flagpoles and fake-looking metal trees on every other street corner, and you can't bury the cell antennas under the ground either.

Got a better idea???

whamel
Premium Member
Evergreen Park, IL

whamel

Premium Member

THEY SHOULD do what other carriers do....put antennas on water towers, or other appropriate places. NOT on telephone poles like this. There is a perfectly suitable water tower a few hundred feet away where they could have deployed antennas.

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM

Premium Member

It's probably TOO TALL, or the municipal authority doesn't want antennas on it's nice looking water tower..

Microcells take advantage of low heights, short range "targeted" coverage, and frequency re-use.

Oh, and using a lot more of them as well, maybe 20 or 25 micro-cells, instead of a few 170' tall "boomer" towers.

Sorry that they're not too photogenic for people that stare at telephone poles all day, but at least the photos can be taken with your cell phone, and you have really good signal around there to upload them to the Internet.

Maybe the POCO could just put some big can transformers up there instead, would that look any better??
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

2 recommendations

Crookshanks

said by K3SGM:

It's probably TOO TALL, or the municipal authority doesn't want antennas on it's nice looking water tower..

Don't waste your time on the NIMBY/BANANA types, they'll never listen.

You'll note that he didn't bitch about the equally ugly wires and transformers bringing electricity into his house, or the HFC/twisted-pair cables (assuming he's on cable or DSL) bringing the internet in for him to post his BANANA ramblings.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386 to whamel

to whamel
said by whamel:

Here is a clue for you: THEY DO. Plus on top of hotels, highrise buildings (if there are any), and several other places. Know what you're talking about before opening your mouth.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to whamel

Premium Member

to whamel
Because the power lines and other wires and pole pigs are just somehow works of art....

Services aint pretty things, This is what I do not understand about our society today. People want more more and more but they do want to see any hint of what brings their more.

They want more selection and lower prices, but they do not want the store in their town to house it. They want less traffic but they do not want a freeway near their town. They want faster data services but do not want to see the boxes or towers. They want more electric everythings but do not want more power plants.

People want us to conserve energy/resources and reduce CO2 but they setup HOAs that ban cloths lines and require green lawns supported by wasteful irrigation.
nlwnola
join:2011-01-19
Metairie, LA

nlwnola to weaseled386

to weaseled386
The new line of pico sites from Alcatel-Lucent look like small metal boxes with three antennas come out. Looks like your home wifi router on a telephone or light pole. They can also be hidden within the facade of a building by using antennas that match the shape of designs in use on it. By all means if it means I get better indoor coverage I'd let them slap one on the side of my house and pay me rent.

TommyT
@144.160.5.x

TommyT to whamel

Anon

to whamel
I'm with you, too... I think electrical outlets and lightbulbs are ugly, too. Geez... now that I think about it, the toilet isn't very aesthetic... I think I'll start using the tree behind the house.
ptb42
join:2002-09-30
USA

ptb42 to K3SGM

to K3SGM
said by K3SGM:

They can't just build 150' tall flagpoles and fake-looking metal trees on every other street corner, and you can't bury the cell antennas under the ground either.

Got a better idea???

These are cell phone "towers" in New Orleans, near Bourbon Street, that are used for stop signs and street signs -- they are only slightly taller and and quite a bit thicker than a normal signpost.

They are about 8 inches in diameter near the base, with a smaller antenna on top.

I wouldn't have paid any attention, except when I walked by one and heard a fan running inside it (it was summertime). A few days later, I was on a tour and the guide pointed one out and explained what it was for.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose to K3SGM

to K3SGM
Streetlight poles, the ones I've seen in Gahanna, OH for their City-Wide WiFi Mesh Network, don't look anywhere as bad as these do.
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
Don't know about their LTE network but Verizon switched to microwave backhaul in some areas for their 3G when that was the newest thing.
WhatNow

WhatNow to TommyT

Premium Member

to TommyT
Just when they get decent LTE coverage 5G will come out and everybody will be pissed again.