Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Re: Holyoke Mall

said by IowaCowboy:

Verizon does not have that issue.

Come to the Broome County Arena during an AHL game and try making that statement. The LTE network drops to less than 200kbit/s, if you're lucky, sometimes you can't even open Google's homepage to do a search. Same story in bigger cities, I had the privilege of going to the Superdome to see a Saints game back in December and couldn't even send an MMS, let alone surf. I had the theory that it was a small-medium sized city issue but the Superdome experience torpedoed that. If the Superdome doesn't rate picocells which venue does?

I've never seen Verizon have issues with voice or SMS (whereas I have seen those issues on other carriers) in such situations, so there's that at least, but the data network grinds to a halt more often than not. Doesn't annoy me TOO bad, I didn't go to the Superdome to play with my phone, but it's still kind of sad.....

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Try the Big E (state fair type event), even VZ can't handle the load.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

VZ offers events like this COWs to handle those events if they think they'll need them for visitors. I'm not sure if AT&T has them but I'm pretty sure they did. They're pricy, but yes they are possible.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
I've never seen VZW have an issue with voice, with the exception of a natural disaster (floods in 2011) wherein they lost several cell sites.

The biggest event I've ever personally taken my phone to was the first inauguration of Barack Obama and my VZW phone worked flawlessly. Of course it was just voice and data, didn't have a smartphone then, but I was ahead of my friends with the other three carriers who couldn't even get texts out.

I've seen COWs at some events (every year when the PGA Seniors Tour comes to town), though I'm not sure if they're still voice/sms only or if they use them to supplement data nowadays.
nlwnola
join:2011-01-19
Metairie, LA

nlwnola to Crookshanks

to Crookshanks
Actually AT&T installed a DAS in the superdome with the capacity of over 30 macro cells before the Super Bowl. Never had a problem in the dome since.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband
VZ, AT&T and yes even Sprint have them.