vobguy
A fool with a tool is still a fool
Premium Member
join:2003-01-21
Mineral, VA

vobguy

Premium Member

Pantech MHS291L?

I have heard that this is/will be the new hotspot that Mcom is shipping. I have also heard they are backordered currently.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I am really hoping they are more reliable than the 4620L . I have to micromanage this thing almost as much as I had to do with my old DirecWay sat

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Never have to touch my 4620L. It's in another room we don't use so we never even look at it.

Are you planning on purchasing a Pantech from Millenicom to replace your 4620L?

diugo
join:2014-01-13
Yuma, AZ

diugo to vobguy

to vobguy
I got my MHS921L three days ago and it's been totally solid so far---none of the probs reported with the 4620. Plus it has a working Usage Meter.

diugo --- no longer anonymous

vobguy
Premium Member
Mineral, VA

vobguy to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
Hoping to if they have one, and I dont hear any major negatives. I never touch my 4620 either, I do all the rebooting and disconnecting remotely lol.
bcltoys
join:2008-07-21

bcltoys to vobguy

to vobguy
Does this puppy have a external antenna port.
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24

said by bcltoys:

Does this puppy have a external antenna port.

It has two. Another poster in the verizon forums indicated he used two antennas and got better reception than just a single antenna. Both ports are located on either side of the unit

vobguy
Premium Member
Mineral, VA

vobguy

Premium Member

Is there a Verizon forum for the MHS291L , my google-fu has proven weak in this case.
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24

»Verizon Wireless
bcltoys

bcltoys to vobguy

to vobguy
Is this the device that Millenicom is selling now for shur.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

yes it is
bcltoys

bcltoys

Thanky
bcltoys

bcltoys to vobguy

to vobguy
What's the web site that sell's antenna adapter's the right one's not the 3g store.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

»www.wpsantennas.com/
bcltoys

bcltoys

Thank's again me forgot.

murfeez_law
join:2013-03-29

murfeez_law to vobguy

to vobguy

Speeds are a bit slower but better performance hands down over the 4620

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Novatel 4620LTE

diugo
join:2014-01-13
Yuma, AZ

diugo

MHS291L

vobguy
Premium Member
Mineral, VA

vobguy

Premium Member

Well it is on the way. I hope it gets decent signal without antenna because I probably don't have an adapter that will work for it.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

the adapter to use with the MHS291L is this one:

»www.wpsantennas.com/WA-1 ··· ble.aspx

vobguy
Premium Member
Mineral, VA

vobguy

Premium Member

So far so good. Havent had any DNS issues since connecting, and it didn't take hours to switch to LTE, it went to LTE immediately, unlike the bad firmware 4620L I am replacing. Speed is about as good on this Pantech without an antenna as with the antenna on my 4620L, but I just ordered a new antenna anyhow.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

what antenna did you order?

vobguy
Premium Member
Mineral, VA

vobguy

Premium Member

Ordered the only one that WPSantennas returns on a search of their site for the MHS291L. Not sure if it is the best or not or even works, but havent been able to find much info out there on any antennas for it.

Going to be problematic since I don't have any metal to mount the thing but apparently it needs to be mounted magnetically to work. SO I didn't order rush shipping since I still have to figure out what I am going to do for a mounting base. Perhaps a repurposed cookie sheet?
vobguy

vobguy

Premium Member

With the MHS291L I almost feel like something is wrong. I havent had to manually disconnect/reconnect or reboot the jetpack at all yet. Normally I had to manually connect every morning and afternoon, and do a manual disconnect/reconnect once or twice a day, and reboot every other day, with the 4620L.

Plus since I am now using the antenna from my BMI u770 , that connection has also improved to 4-5 bars and pretty speedy for 3G. I used to have to switch back and forth every 20-30 minutes between the connections, even when I was the only user, to try and keep the net working.

But now both my connections (Jetpack Verizon and u770 Sprint) work. Time will tell I guess, but so far I am exceedingly happy. If you are someone who has had issues with the 4620, perhaps because you live in an area of marginal signal, you might consider trying the MHS291L.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

My 4620LTE has been on and connected for days with no disconnects or reboots. My wife and I are using it and have no issues.

I only have 3 bars and no antenna but performance is excellent. I'm happy with it.

LumbermanSVO
@myvzw.com

LumbermanSVO

Anon

If only everyone could have the great experience you do with the 4620. The only task my 4620 DIDN'T fail at was acting as filler in my trash can...
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

the Sim from the 4620 paired with a UML290 in a Cradlepoint MBR95 is a rock solid connection. A really great combo