spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Blazing

join:2014-01-13

Downgrade Dlink Dir-655?

Hi everyone. My Dir-655 has become very instable with the latest 1.37 firmware. I want to downgrade it, but cannot find the 1.31RU firmware anyware (most links are expired from 2009/10). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dlink_RU

@comcast.net
Interesting, but even ftp://ftp.dlink.ru/pub/Router/DIR-655/Firmware/REV_A/Old/ does not have either version 1.31 or RU specific firmware.

However (if the RU is not an absolute requirement), you can find a 1.31 firmware release at ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir655/Firmware/

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to Blazing
I would give this a try and see if it helps stabilize your router:
»forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=54498.0

Others are using v1.37 with success and it's working well for them.
What unstable about your router? Explain more?
Problems maybe else where and may have not been exhibited until you updated or there is a mis-configuration.

What FW did you have before? What was the reason for updating?
Please follow this for doing any FW updates:
»forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=42457.0

It's not recommended to use FW from other regions, as they are different and could imped proper operation and you could be missing some features that your region sees vs the NA region.

Blazing

join:2014-01-13
reply to Blazing
Sorry for the lack of information. The router itself is a few years old, it a revision A3. I've had it since the 1.11 days. It has had 1.37 since release. Only started to screw up now.

It still covers most of the house perfectly fine ( i get reception across the street most of the time too). The issue is that it sometimes refuses to give internet connection to certain devices at a time, or simply kicks all devices off, or just doesn't give any network connection. The modem always works fine - a 10 second unplug fixes the issues. (the modem's connection was measured a few years ago from splitter inferference, it is fine).

I will try the tips in the two links!

BTW the RU firmware I spoke of was modified, and allowed one to return to a pre 1.31 firmware. However, it doesn't work after 1.35, which I am past.

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to Blazing
There maybe interferences and such that maybe causing the disconnections. Use InSSIDer to find out whats near by and if you can find a clean unused channel set a manual channel. Set WiFi modes for devices that you need and support. If A or B modes are not being used, theres no need to broadcast that signal if it's not being used. Helps the routers WiFi signal as well. Try using mixed G and N modes, WPA2/Mixed TPIK and AES or try single mode N and WPA2/AES only. Try disabling Short GI as a test as well.

twixt

join:2004-06-27
North Vancouver, BC
reply to Blazing
said by Blazing:

Sorry for the lack of information. The router itself is a few years old, it a revision A3. I've had it since the 1.11 days. It has had 1.37 since release. Only started to screw up now.

It still covers most of the house perfectly fine ( i get reception across the street most of the time too). The issue is that it sometimes refuses to give internet connection to certain devices at a time, or simply kicks all devices off, or just doesn't give any network connection. The modem always works fine - a 10 second unplug fixes the issues. (the modem's connection was measured a few years ago from splitter inferference, it is fine).

I will try the tips in the two links!

BTW the RU firmware I spoke of was modified, and allowed one to return to a pre 1.31 firmware. However, it doesn't work after 1.35, which I am past.

-

If 1.37 has been working properly for some time - and suddenly you have problems - the highest probability is it's not a firmware problem.

"Suddenly having problems getting an internet connection" may be the result of NAT Table exhaustion. Have you started running a Bittorrent client with unregulated diversity? New game console for Christmas? Has someone attached themselves to your wireless connection who is running the stuff mentioned above? This commonly causes NAT Table exhaustion - leading to the inability for newly-repowered devices to connect.

"Suddenly kicking off everyone" is a typical symptom of a spontaneous modem reboot. If you can catch the modem "in the act" at the point where kickoff occurs - and you see the modem lights going through a startup cycle - you've found your problem.

-

Things to check:

1. Temporarily shut down your Bittorrent client. Shut off your game console. Kick the offending user off your wireless network. If the problem goes away - you've found the cause of your problem - and now you need to figure out how to reconfigure whatever/whoever is causing NAT Table exhaustion so you don't overwhelm your router.

Note: Continuously running Bittorrent can induce the "Suddenly kicking off everyone" problem - because you're running the modem continuously at a high load - thus creating a lot of heat inside the modem and stressing the power supply to the max. See the following items.

2. Those "wall wart" power supplies used for all routers have a tendency to become unreliable over the years. When they become marginal - they will spontaneously power-down and then power-up again almost immediately. The router - having been deprived of power even for just a second - goes through a normal startup cycle just as if you had unplugged and then replugged the modem. Solution: Replace defective power supply.

Note: I had this problem with a Trendnet TEW-611 BRP. Drove me nuts until I chanced to notice the modem lights going through a restart cycle just around the time I was "kicked". Replaced the power pack - deadbolt reliable again.

3. As modems age, they tend to get plugged with dust and lint in their ventilation holes. This can cause the internals of the modem to overheat - leading to spontaneous reboots caused by chip overheating inside the modem. Solution: Disassemble the modem and clean out any dust/debris/whatever found inside - that may be interfering with proper cooling airflow.

Note: Try running the modem without its cover. If the problem stabilizes - you have at least proven the problem is cooling. If the problem remains, temporarily put a fan near the modem - with the airflow pointing at the modem circuitry. If the problem stabilizes then - you again know the problem is cooling-related - but of a more severe nature than can be solved without active cooling.

4. As modems age, their heatsinks tend to debond from the components upon which the heatsinks are mounted. (Thermal expansion/contraction over the years causes this.) The solution is to redo the heatsink mounting with fresh thermal glue. This procedure is fraught with risk for users without experience - because you can damage the underlying chip when removing the heatsink from its original mount. You can also damage the chip when cleaning its mounting surface for reapplication of thermal glue - and you can mess up the reapplication of the thermal glue if you don't know what you're doing.

5. Operation of a modem that is thermally unstable - without fixing the problem promptly - can lead to damage to the modem's chipset which causes intermittent operation to become a permanent problem until the offending chip is replaced. Since the chipset is usually factory-soldered using surface-mount technology - there is no practical way for a user to replace the chip themselves - and thus a new modem is the logical choice to solve the problem.

6. Inexpensive used-but-in-good-condition Dir-655s are commonly available on Craigslist. If yours is thermally intermittent - a replacement from there may be the most economical way of solving your problem - in the absence of the significant technical skills required to perform operations 3, 4 and 5 above.

-

Hope this helps.