Search similar:

uniqs
hruodland
join:2014-01-14
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

hruodland

[Connectivity] Power recyles regularly every hour on 327W

I'm in Brooklyn, and use an old Westell 327W modem. For the last month or two DSL had been dropping connection what seemed a dozen or more times a day and then coming back in a minute or two with a new IP address. I tried resetting the modem, and also swapping it out for another 327W of about the same vintage. No luck either way.

I watched more closely and it turned out that every hour within a minute of the half hour the power light was turning red so the 327W was recycling. I found I could improve matters greatly by bringing out an old Westell Wirespeed modem we had lying around, connecting with DSL using that, and using the 327W as a router only. With that change loss of DSL connectivity is much less common, the IP address seems to change only 3-4 times a day, and I don't lose wifi connectivity nearly so much.

Any idea what's going on? Why would both 327Ws recycle regularly once an hour when used as a modem as well as router?

UPDATE: After a couple of days the same thing started happening even when the 327W was used as a router only, so I exchanged it for an old DI-514 router. The Westell Wirespeed/DI-514 now seems to be giving me a stable connection but who knows if that will last.
hruodland

hruodland

Thought I should mention: a new Netgear G54 N150 Wireless Router ($26 on ebay, shipping included) solved all problems. Stable connection, and better connectivity and security than the old DI-514.