spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tman852
join:2010-07-06
Columbus, OH

tman852

SSD's, what do you have in your rig?

I'm working on an upgrade in the near future to a new SSD, mobo and CPU. I'm still running an X58 system with an i7 920 and an old OCZ Vertex 2. I've narrowed an SSD upgrade down to a Crucial M500, Kingston Hyper X 3K, or a Samsung Evo 840 (not pro series), any of those in 240GB size.

Just wondering what you guys are using and your opinions on other possibilities different from what I listed above as well. They all seem to be about the same speed wise, so I guess I'm looking at them more from a reputation/reliability point of view and whether or not one is better than another for games, etc. performance wise since I primarily am using this for gaming.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Hey tman,

I use a Samsung 840 (non-Pro) 500 GB in my desktop, paired with a 2 TB Caviar Black. My gaming laptop has an ADATA 128 GB that will soon be replaced with a refurbished 256 GB Dell OEM SSD (bargain buy here on DSLR).

If I bought today, I'd grab either a Samsung EVO, Corsair Neutron GTX, a Kingston, or one of the new Seagates that uses the same controller as the Neutron GTX.
tman852
Columbus, OH

tman852

Anything I've ever owned from Corsair has been awesome, I'll check this one out. Don't know how I didn't see it before.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie to tman852

Premium Member

to tman852
I use a Kingston HyperX 128 GB and it works awesome.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to tman852

Mod

to tman852
corsair 240gb ssd force gt

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to tman852

MVM

to tman852
I have the following SSD models:

Samsung 840 (non Pro) 500GB
Intel 530 240GB
Crucial M4 256GB
OCZ Agility III 360GB
OCZ Agility 60GB
OCZ Vertex Plus 240GB (2x)
OCZ Vertex 2 120GB
OCZ Octane 128GB
Corsair Force 120GB (2x)
Kingston SSDNow V series SNV425-S2 64GB (3x)
SanDisk 64GB mSATA (OEM on Asus Eee Slate EP121 Core i5 tablet PC)

Haven't had any significant problems with any of them yet.

If I were to buy one now I would probably be between either a Samsung 840 EVO 1TB or a Crucial M500 960GB.

pr1mo
Premium Member
join:2003-11-12
Chicago, IL

pr1mo to tman852

Premium Member

to tman852
OCZ Vertex3 - 128GB paired with a WD Black (500GB only, soon to be upgraded though, just not enough space)

Have been using this SSD for a little over a year and a half. Have not had a single issue. Performance has also been awesome.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to tman852

MVM

to tman852
I have a Samsung 840 Pro 500gb drive for my boot drive as well as installations of some games and most apps. I have a 2TB WD Black drive that I use for a bulk of my game installs. This setup works great.
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

gaforces (banned) to tman852

to tman852
2 OCZ Solid 3 128GB good
Crucial M500 240GB very good

They should be making some pci-e v3 ssd cards that would be the next step up in speed.
I saw some pci-e v2 with 700Mbs read and write available now but they are expensive.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to tman852

Premium Member

to tman852
128gb OCZ Vertex 4

Currently, I have Windows, Battlefield 4, and a few other small programs installed on it with ~50gb of free space open.

My wife's laptop has a 250gb Samsung (non pro) installed. So far it's been awesome.
tman852
Columbus, OH

tman852 to Octavean

to Octavean
Well that about settles it. I'm leaning heavily towards the Samsung 840. Thanks guys

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

Another 840!

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

ironweasel to tman852

Premium Member

to tman852
SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB.

It doesn't put up numbers like the 840 Evo does, but it's a "mainstream" SSD and not a performace or enthusiast SSD like the Evo. It performs very well compared to other products in its class, and it has a relatively low cost per GB which is the main reason I picked it when I upgraded to an SSD from my old ass 5400RPM WD drive. I picked it up for $149.99 a couple months ago...but the price has gone up slightly since then, but it's still a good value if you don't need maximum performance.

Astyanax
Premium Member
join:2002-11-14
Melbourne, FL

Astyanax to tman852

Premium Member

to tman852
Samsung 840 Evo 500GB with RAPID mode engaged. Upgraded to the latest firmware EXT0BB6Q too.

It is the sole drive I have in my Intel I7-2600 rig.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
the Neutrons are nuts, but the new gen ones that should be based on the LSI controller should be even better, and hopefully they do a pci-e SSD card for desktops.

due to space limitations i'm actually tempted to pickup a WD black2 drive, 120gb ssd and 1tb traditional, would give my laptop one hell of a bump, just need to figure out how i want to set it up, install to SSD and use spare space or use SSD caching and partition out the 1tb.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to tman852

to tman852
Nothing but Intel shall touch my digital data. Intel 330 SSD.

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

TRU

At the moment, I only have a single SSD in my main PC. It is a Samsung 830 256GB SSD. And I seriously love it.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to tman852

Premium Member

to tman852
Main PC - OCZ Vector 256 GB (this is in an X58 system)
Spare PC - OCZ Agility 3 120 GB
HTPC - OCZ Vertex 4 128 GB
Laptop - Mushkin Chronos 120 GB
PS3 - Intel 320 120 GB

Main work PC - ADATA Nobility N002 60 GB (old Indilinx Barefoot drive)
Spare work PC - OCZ Octane 128 GB

Of the three you listed, I'd go with the Samsung. Both it and the Crucial M500 are great drives, but the Samsung is a bit faster. You probably won't notice the difference on your current PC though.

While Kingston makes good drives, I'd put that at the bottom of my list. The SandForce controller in it is getting pretty dated, and I've had bad luck with SandForce-driven SSDs from various brands - of the six I've set up, three have died. Coincidentally, those are the only SSDs that I've had fail on me.

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

TRU

Like I said, I only have 1 single SSD in action at the moment. I'm surprised, just as much as you probably are, that it is ONLY 1. I know that many PC users out there have since moved onto multiple SSD's in their systems.

I think the reason for the slow SSD adoption for me, personally, was that I spent a good chunk of change back a couple years ago for this Samsung 830 256GB SSD drive. It was expensive and I still nearly got it for over $100 off it's retail price. Regardless, it was still expensive for what is basically 240GB of super fast drive space.

I've since been biding my time until my next inevitable SSD purchase. I've been waiting until the perfect moment where prices become manageable AND storage capacity increases to match something of a normal HDD(1TB for $250-300).

Cat5
join:2013-04-26

2 recommendations

Cat5

said by TRU:

I've since been biding my time until my next inevitable SSD purchase. I've been waiting until the perfect moment where prices become manageable AND storage capacity increases to match something of a normal HDD(1TB for $250-300).

I'm the same.

For me SSD's are still more of a luxury item. Whilst its awesome having Windows boot super fast, turning my PC on of an evening then going to cook dinner, isn't causing me grief at all. Likewise, it'd be nice having games loads up that little bit faster, but it's hardly a "must have" thing for me.

Currently the price of an SSD for the storage it offers just isn't worth it.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

said by Cat5:

said by TRU:

I'm the same.

For me SSD's are still more of a luxury item. Whilst its awesome having Windows boot super fast, turning my PC on of an evening then going to cook dinner, isn't causing me grief at all. Likewise, it'd be nice having games loads up that little bit faster, but it's hardly a "must have" thing for me.

I look at storage generally in terms of three basic metrics which are speed, reliability and capacity. So not necessarily in terms of price but higher speeds and higher capacities can obviously correlate to higher prices.

Anyway,......

for typical non-abusive use i don't expect to have any problems with my Samsung 840 (non-Pro) TLC based 500GB SSD. However it stands to reason that there are and will be longevity differences / discrepancies between MLC, TLC and SLC. As well as what comes beyond that,....

I guess my point is that those of whom only consider price or consider price to be the largely dominant metric may also have to accept a shorter lifespan of the product (or potentially) because of the type of NAND that is likely to be used in cheaper SSD units.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to Cat5

MVM

to Cat5
said by Cat5:

i absolutely can't live without my ssd and the storage level is really why most people are running the ssd/hdd combination.

i virtualise and run winders inside of a vm, either on my linux mobile workstation or my macs (2011 mba and 2012 mbp-retina).

i can't handle the bootup times on spindles when i start a vm. vm's and o/s are on the ssd -- bulk data on the spindly ones.

q.
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth to tman852

to tman852
I using a kingston ssdnow 300 120gb ssd in my acer aspire 1.

I just got another one with the laptop upgrade kit from my mothers laptop. ($90)

Hopefully that will spur my wife into doing the same with her laptop.

Eventually I want to get 240gb model more my own desktop machine. (not sure what make or model i'll get yet)

I've really please with the one I put in my acer aspire one, it boots very fast...

vliktor
join:2005-07-27
Philippines

1 edit

vliktor to tman852

to tman852
Just got an Intel SSD 335 180 GB. So far, performance is pretty good; getting 450 MB/s sequential reads/writes on CrystalMarkInfo. It's primarily an OS/apps drive, but I also included BF3 and BF4, and load times are a a lot better for them as a result.

Can't go wrong with Samsung, Intel, or Kingston. Been hearing good things about them.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Indeed, although, I would add Crucial to that list too,....

Also to be perfectly honest I haven't had any problems worth mentioning with any of my OCZ SSD models.

I did have a small problem with a Corsair Force series SSD whereby I couldn't update the firmware. That might have been due to the software not being tested on a X79 based system.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to tman852

Premium Member

to tman852
Gaming PC - Vertex 3 240GB
TV PC - Vertex 2 120GB
Laptop - Intel 320 120GB

The gaming PC and TV PC are always full with games.

Those TB Samsung EVO's are pretty tempting, even if the 500 or 750GB would be enough part of me just wants a terabyte SSD just because...it's a terabyte SSD.
migel_prado
join:2014-01-17
CA 94509

migel_prado to Thordrune

to Thordrune
said by Thordrune:

While Kingston makes good drives, I'd put that at the bottom of my list. The SandForce controller in it is getting pretty dated, and I've had bad luck with SandForce-driven SSDs from various brands - of the six I've set up, three have died. Coincidentally, those are the only SSDs that I've had fail on me.

Yes SandForce had some reliability issues in the past, but guess its all good now. SandForce is faster compared to M4 and samsung, But samsung is a good buy as well... Even my SSD is also Sandforce based ie, Intel 520 120g, Never had any kind of issues or drop in perfomance.

Alakar
Facts do not cease to exist when ignored
join:2001-03-23
Milwaukee, WI

Alakar to tman852

to tman852
I bought a PNY XLR8 PRO 240GB SATA III in December and couldn't be happier with it. Performance has been good and the price was awesome (paid $159 plus a $30 mail in rebate).

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 20178453

fluffybunny
@cipherkey.com

fluffybunny to tman852

Anon

to tman852
always buy intel only.
i have 2 x intel 320s on the servers which get bashed 24 x 7 x 3 years straight serving 3 million requests/day. no failures as of todays date.
i also have samsung and vertex ssd drives. the samsung is starting to go bad after 4 years and the ocz vertex went bad after 1 year with silent data corruption resulting in the windows install getting slowly trashed and losing massive amounts of data. avoid ocz (like the plague), samsung is ok but intel is the best.

Black_Mage
Premium Member
join:2012-09-12
USA

Black_Mage to tman852

Premium Member

to tman852
New PC I just ordered = 2 Samsung 840 Pros in RAID 0
Playstation 3 = Crucial V4