Connection drop outs.
I'm on Uverse 3MB, internet only, I live pretty far out so this is the fastest speed possible at the moment. Three weeks ago my NVG510 died, wasn't even accessible on the LAN. Had a tech come out, replaced it and said the previous installer cut corners so he wired in a filter to the wall jack and re-wired a few things at the NID, all the way out to the utility pole.
It was fine up until this past weekend, I noticed about every 5 minutes the connection would drop out, then come online and back off again. It would do this a few times and then go back to normal after a period of time (maybe 30 mins?). It started doing it again last night while it was raining pretty hard out, maybe just a coincidence.
Logs on the NVG510 show this at the time of disconnect:
My stats are currently this:
As of last night when it was raining, the attenuation and SNR were both almost half of what they are now. It's supposed to rain again tonight so I'll see if it happens again, which will rule that out.
I also noticed on some threads that AT&T had a pretty serious outage this weekend when all of my issues started, and is still ongoing in some regions. That DNS message in the log made me weary, the only downside is you can't change the DNS servers in the NVG510 because it's so locked down. Doesn't matter what I configure my WRTGL DNS servers as, the NVG510 still uses AT&T DNS to sync up the modem.
I'm at a loss at this point, any ideas?
Well I just stopped home on lunch and checked the connection box out on the utility pole where the line running from my house is tied into the line up on the pole. The rubber seal on the bottom of it was popped out, the box was filled to the brim with water and dead ladybugs covering all the line connections. NEAT
Time to call AT&T again. If attenuation goes down, that should be an improvement. Did you mean attenuation doubled?
I should've got some, I was too annoyed to think about it at the time. I cleaned the box out and checked the connections. So far the attenuation hasn't budged and the SNR is a lot more stable, it's a steady 32 where as before it was fluctuating by 2 or so. I'm pretty far out so it doesn't surprise me the attenuation is that high. I'll know for sure if it worked tonight when the rain comes through.
Noise margin looks good, regardless of those small variations.
If still accumulating CRC-errors and Errored-seconds, that's a problem.
|reply to tman852 |
Those crc errors are killing your signal, also you mentioned he wired a filter to the wall jack? he was suppose to filter a dedicated pair for the modem from the jack to the nid and have a filter at the nid not the jack.
That's what I meant, I didn't word that correctly. It's a dedicated cable going straight to the jack where the modem plugs in from the NID. CRC errors are almost non existant now, all of those accumulated last night while the connection was having issues. Ever since I cleared that bug/water filled box out today it's been rock solid.
Just because you drained the water from the box, doesn't mean you're out of the woods just yet. There is a physical phenomenon known as "ionic migration" that can occur in electronic devices that have been subjected to high humidity. While primarily an issue with old tech glass epoxy circuit boards, it no doubt is still applicable to modern devices under the right conditions. What happens is that microscopic paths develop in materials due to the voltage potential differences at certain points... hence "ionic migration". They cause flaky and intermittent problems after a time... which means that everything can be fine for several days/weeks/months and then slowly but surely, things start going wonky. The best bet is to replace any devices that have been subjected to such moisture.
If it starts to happen again I'm just going to pull some of the slack up in the phone wires, strip the sheathing off and redo the connections further down the line that was untouched by water/bugs. I'm not dicking around for days waiting for techs to come out and do the same, it's easy as hell.