join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

Nest...

»www.wired.com/business/2 ··· est-buy/
quote:
Google Buys Nest for $3.2 Billion in Cash

Google is getting its house in order.

Today, the web giant announced that it’s spending $3.2 billion to acquire Nest, a successful home hardware tech startup founded by Tony Fadell, one of the fathers of the Apple iPod.

Today, Nest makes internet-connected thermostats and fire detectors, but the plan is to extend its reach even further into the home. In a Google blog post, Fadell said that, with Google’s support, “Nest will be even better placed to build simple, thoughtful devices that make life easier at home, and that have a positive impact on the world.”

The announcement sparked much discussion across the web, as many joked about Google+ integration with Nest’s products and Google Ads showing up when you turn off your smoke alarm. But according to a statement Fadell delivered to TechCrunch, Nest will only use customer information for “providing and improving Nest’s products and services,” indicating it will not be used for Google’s larger advertising schemes...
Not sure why Apple didn't buy them, it seemed they'd be a natural buyer, considering it was founded by alumni. Nest can be an enormous opportunity for Google to 'wire the home'
Between this missed opportunity and Waze, it seems that Apple isn't keeping their eye on the ball...(IMHO)

Squirrelly
join:2000-10-24
Harrisburg, PA

Squirrelly

I would rather Apple buy »www.allure-energy.com

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero

Premium Member

I agree. I own two nests and love them but if I had seen the Allure first I would have bought their product!

I will definitely NOT be buying any Nest products in the future now. Guess it's a good thing I was just putting my house up for sale, now i can say the Nests are staying

haroldo
USA

haroldo to Squirrelly

to Squirrelly
Looks interesting.
Is there any payback? That is, do you think you're saving money with it, or is it an ultra-high tech toy (sure to impress all who see it)

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
I just got a Nest for Christmas. Had I known this was going to happen I would not have purchased one. Looks like Nest sold out.
I agree, that model by Allure looks awesome.

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
More than pissed that the Don't Be Evil Empire of Google is controlling a product that I was an early adopter of (I preordered the first version).

Google...you'd better not fuckitup™ and make it an Android preferred product.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
said by obeythelaw:

Jeezus a $400 dollar thermostat?! I don't think so. I had a hard enough time shelling out $195 for my nest a couple of Black Fridays ago ...
dharel1705
join:2009-06-09
Merrick, NY

dharel1705 to haroldo

to haroldo
That Allure thermostat looks very intriguing. Almost like they deconstructed a Nest and added a few things. However there is still one issue in that it still requires a C wire, where the Nest does not.
Expand your moderator at work

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to Squirrelly

Premium Member

to Squirrelly

Re: Nest...

Now that is pretty slick. I really like all the features it has.

Squirrelly
join:2000-10-24
Harrisburg, PA

Squirrelly

Yes it is expensive and does require a C wire. I hope in the future they make the C wire optional and lower the price by $100. I have a basic Lux Pro programable thermostat I installed about 7 years ago and paid for itself after two months. It was only $120.

Also check out what Allure announced at CES to work with it
»www.electronista.com/art ··· onitors/
Expand your moderator at work
System

to haroldo

Anon

to haroldo

Re: Nest...

Friendly warning

Recent particpants in this topic are warned to be aware of site and forum posting rules. Warning cause: 'Personal attacks' (posts)

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to Squirrelly

Premium Member

to Squirrelly
Very nice. It's amazing where even simple devices like thermostats are heading. I love this type of stuff.

Count Zero
Premium Member
Milton, FL

Count Zero to Squirrelly

Premium Member

to Squirrelly
said by Squirrelly:

Yes it is expensive and does require a C wire. I hope in the future they make the C wire optional and lower the price by $100. I have a basic Lux Pro programable thermostat I installed about 7 years ago and paid for itself after two months. It was only $120.

Also check out what Allure announced at CES to work with it
»www.electronista.com/art ··· onitors/

Requiring that C wire will probably be among the biggest problems for them. My upstairs and downstairs are on separate HVAC/furnace systems and neither uses a C wire. I imagine that it's relatively expensive and difficult to add a C wire to an existing setup, no?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Could you go this route?

»www.amazon.com/Venstar-A ··· 013LVDQA

Count Zero
Premium Member
Milton, FL

1 recommendation

Count Zero

Premium Member

I have no clue but the reviews make it seem like it would work perfectly!
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
Specs state it weighs 4 pounds

Sucker must be pretty beefy...

RiseAbove
Premium Member
join:2004-01-30

RiseAbove to not quite right

Premium Member

to not quite right
said by not quite right:

said by obeythelaw:

Jeezus a $400 dollar thermostat?! I don't think so. I had a hard enough time shelling out $195 for my nest a couple of Black Fridays ago ...

I agree with your Jeezue a $400 dollar thermostat remark and I am also wondering why it needs to have speakers so you can stream music? How many people need music coming from their thermostat?

haroldo
USA

haroldo to Count Zero

to Count Zero
said by Count Zero:

I agree. I own two nests and love them ...

Have you guesstimated how much the Nest saved you?

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right

said by haroldo:

said by Count Zero:

I agree. I own two nests and love them ...

Have you guesstimated how much the Nest saved you?

You don't have to guess because you get a monthly report ...

haroldo
USA

haroldo

Does anyone know the results of these monthly reports?
(simply put, do these things save money...in the long run?)

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Simply put: Yes.

»Nest Learning Thermostat: My experience and return on investment

Obviously it will depend on your heating needs and how well you regulated the temperature before getting the Nest, but it does seem to work pretty well.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601 to haroldo

to haroldo
I had one that saved me a lot of money over the course of 18 months. More than paid for itself, unfortunately it wasn't compatible with my new HVAC system so I had to give it up.

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
I have had my Nest since December 25 and have noticed that my bills are less over the last 3 months compared to last year. With this really cold weather I am surprised by the savings. I would say Nest does help you save some money.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

great, thanks!
Final question...if you had to do it over again...would you go Nest or Eversense?

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig to kes601

MVM

to kes601
said by kes601:

I had one that saved me a lot of money over the course of 18 months. More than paid for itself, unfortunately it wasn't compatible with my new HVAC system so I had to give it up.

Why didnt it work - was the new system 12 volts??

I added a 12 volt relay system so my pellet stoves would work with my nest's.

As haroldo's question.. YES I would choose the nest over the others - design, style, support - maybe its the apple fanboi in me

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by dellsweig:

... YES I would choose the nest over the others - design, style, support - maybe its the apple fanboi in me

Even though they were acquired by Google (boo! hiss!)