Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ThomasTran

join:2014-01-14
Laval, QC

[Internet] Tired with Bell Internet

Hi all,

I'm so tired with Bell services, I'm with Bell phone since very long time (+20yrs), and with their Fibe 25/10 since 2-3 yrs, but now I'm so tired with their serices, there were too much problems with billing department, we have to call many many times a year to get it fixed. They give a acceptable price and after some months they increase the price. My Internet get disconnect several times a day. I have called them many times, their tech supports repeat always same boring questions like: How many phones do you have in your house ? How far is you phone plug ? etc, either I told them I'm an IT professional, I know how to setup my home network.

I'm looking for a better company to move all my serivces phone and Internet, may be with a cable solution. I'm wondering if cable telephone is as good as Bell land line? The Intnernet must be more stable right ? If you have any suggestion please advice

Thanks very much

Thomas Tran

hlo207

join:2012-11-16
North York, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
Ever since I get the gateway from Bell and use only it, I have no more issue with the idiotic tech support. The one time I did have frequent disconnections like that over 1.5 yrs ago, they sent a tech out quickly and it turned out to be the 2-wire I had with high speed back then.

If you have Fibe 25/10.... Didn't Bell put in a POTS splitter to split the internet from the phone. That particular phone jack will be internet only eliminating the needs for phone filters.

Try to complain in the direct forum. They cannot give you the price discounts but most likely they can deal with the billing and disconnect issues.
--
H. Lo
North York, Ontario
FTTH 50/50
... Hates wifi, nothing beats Ethernet cables and switches. ...

ThomasTran

Laval, QC
Thank you for your reply. I have posted in Direct forum and Bell tech has changed the profile for me. Hope that will fix problem, since I work with RDP a lot when the Internet get disconnect I'm in the trouble. Fingers cross

Regards

Thomas

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
Are you using a residential product for work? While the residential side of tech support generally is a phone call through all nine circles of hell, the business side is better and doesn't dick you around as much. Not to bash but would you run a bike courier service using tri-cycles because they are cheaper than two-wheels?

Generally speaking I prefer POTS over cable phone because the equipment need on my part to insure it works consist of one very old phone that doesn't need an AC adaptor to work. The modem for a cable based phone includes a battery that only lasts for a few hours, once it is dead your phone doesn't work and if you require service for longer it is necessary to spend money on either a long running UPS system or a generator. Such long interruptions are rare, however I feel the 4 to 6 hours you get out of the cable phone are too short IMHO.

I should mention that people that have actual fibre to the home (amazing enough it does exist in Canada though to a limited degree and area) also have the same battery problem, however in these systems as soon as the power fails their internet also fails, the modem is designed to kill internet in order to maximize the battery life for the phone service. Again one can spend money to correct this deficiency.

hlo207

North York, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
said by Thane_Bitter:

Generally speaking I prefer POTS over cable phone because the equipment need on my part to insure it works consist of one very old phone that doesn't need an AC adaptor to work. The modem for a cable based phone includes a battery that only lasts for a few hours, once it is dead your phone doesn't work and if you require service for longer it is necessary to spend money on either a long running UPS system or a generator. Such long interruptions are rare, however I feel the 4 to 6 hours you get out of the cable phone are too short IMHO.

I should mention that people that have actual fibre to the home (amazing enough it does exist in Canada though to a limited degree and area) also have the same battery problem, however in these systems as soon as the power fails their internet also fails, the modem is designed to kill internet in order to maximize the battery life for the phone service. Again one can spend money to correct this deficiency.

The backup for the FTTH ONT lasted 16 hours roughly. I knew the number because of the Ice Storm 3 weeks ago. The internet pot will be killed in minutes but then what is more important in a blackout, phone or internet? One can always use the smart phone for internet during emergency. I used my Samsung Galaxy S4 heavily for Toronto Hydro reporting, twitter, and news. I have a USB output in the car so I can charge the phone there.

--
H. Lo
North York, Ontario
FTTH 50/50
... Hates wifi, nothing beats Ethernet cables and switches. ...

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
How new was the installation, curious to know the age of the battery?

hlo207

North York, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
Installed Aug 31, 2013.

Came out of new looking boxes/packaging for the ONT, power unit and the battery. It could be all refurbished but why should I care as long as it works. After all the battery lasted around 16 hrs and I hope there will not be another blackout like that ever again.

hogtownhog

join:2013-08-23
Toronto, ON
said by hlo207:

Installed Aug 31, 2013.

Came out of new looking boxes/packaging for the ONT, power unit and the battery. It could be all refurbished but why should I care as long as it works. After all the battery lasted around 16 hrs and I hope there will not be another blackout like that ever again.

So far I haven't seen any refurbished FTTH stuff in the GTA. I don't think I will either, since the idea is that once installed, the ONT and UPS are not going anywhere.

ThomasTran

Laval, QC
reply to ThomasTran
My profile has been changed and it works for about 20hrs and now it disconnects again, no luck at all .

hogtownhog

Toronto, ON
said by ThomasTran:

My profile has been changed and it works for about 20hrs and now it disconnects again, no luck at all .

If so, the installation hasn't been done correctly or you've got a problem with your equipment. Call for a technician to visit.

ThomasTran

Laval, QC
Thanks for your advice. He has changed it again and made a request to disable the robot who did the revert setting. Hope it works now. It seems this problem sync-no-surf is well known, a lot of peoples have it

hogtownhog

Toronto, ON
said by ThomasTran:

Thanks for your advice. He has changed it again and made a request to disable the robot who did the revert setting. Hope it works now. It seems this problem sync-no-surf is well known, a lot of peoples have it

Supposedly, moving you to an interleaved profile resolves the sync-no-surf-issue.

zhuyyu

join:2013-12-14
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to ThomasTran
I'm in same situation for past 3 month, no choice, buy a new modem SMART RG 505, it will be stable. Bell will never give up Sagecom, I guess they still have a lot in their warehouse, and also sagemcom help them save the usage, because you can't BT or do any heavy network stuff. Tricky ! Your plan is 350G, but with Sagemcom, you wouldn't use over 100G. Tom, check your own usage, you will find what I say is true.

hogtownhog

Toronto, ON
said by zhuyyu:

I'm in same situation for past 3 month, no choice, buy a new modem SMART RG 505, it will be stable. Bell will never give up Sagecom, I guess they still have a lot in their warehouse, and also sagemcom help them save the usage, because you can't BT or do any heavy network stuff. Tricky ! Your plan is 350G, but with Sagemcom, you wouldn't use over 100G. Tom, check your own usage, you will find what I say is true.

I've heard rumours that there is another modem waiting in the sidelines.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to ThomasTran
I heard rumours that 2 new modems are being "field" tested right now to make sure they are compatible with all scenarios...to be released in the near future. Just a rumour mind you.
--
My Canada includes Quebec.
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.

ThomasTran

Laval, QC
My modem is dead today, call the support and they confirm that SagemCOM is still the latest one available. luckily, I still have the previous old modem when Bell exchanged for me for the disconnection problem, I use it and it works, the other is dead, can not either reset to the factory default.

kurb

join:2013-12-19
Nepean, ON
reply to ThomasTran
I feel the same way. More precisely I felt like a billable account rather have a customer. I recently moved from Bell 15/10 to Teksavvy 15/10 and from Bell Home Phone to Ooma VOIP. So far I am really glad I did.

btech805

join:2013-08-01
Greely, ON
kudos:11
reply to Glen1
Didn't know they were in field testing yet but that's good news. Full roll out cant be far behind.

Still not sure where theyre going to find room in our ford transits for all these modems we're going to have to carry
--
My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions or wishes of BCE or any of it's subsidiaries.