MBAM Pro
@sky.com

1 recommendation

MBAM Pro to DownTheShore

Anon

to DownTheShore

Re: Blocking PUPs

said by DownTheShore :

Is there any instance in which a user would not want a PUP checked? I was reading that link and was wondering why people were going through lists of PUPs, deciding whether or not to check them. I've never had one turn up, maybe because I pay attention when I install software, so I'm unfamiliar with them. Is there the potential for false positives, or are certain normally used programs commonly listed as PUPs?

I believe it is 100% a legal/Liability based decision.

PUPs by their very nature are borderline as whether anyone would want them but they are someones software, someones business model etc.

If you go unloading someones software you need a very rigid defence
for doing so should they seek damages after the fact.

By making PUP removal/protection opt in only then you are differentiating between the handling of malcode and PUP detections at source.

This is why all commercial AV/AM's have PUP as Opt in option and not enabled out of the box to treat the same as malware.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

1 recommendation

DownTheShore

Premium Member

Thanks to you all for your responses.
Cronk
join:2005-07-16

Cronk to MBAM Pro

to MBAM Pro
said by MBAM Pro :

This is why all commercial AV/AM's have PUP as Opt in option and not enabled out of the box

I've just looked through Norton Internet Security options, cannot find anything like this. Do you know where it is located?

MBAM Pro
@sky.com

MBAM Pro

Anon

said by Cronk:

said by MBAM Pro :

This is why all commercial AV/AM's have PUP as Opt in option and not enabled out of the box

I've just looked through Norton Internet Security options, cannot find anything like this. Do you know where it is located?

My apologies as there was a mistake in my statement and it should have said those commercials vendors that choose to include PUP detections have them as opt in only.

In the case of Symantec/Norton there seems to be a policy not to detect PUP's.
Cronk
join:2005-07-16

Cronk

OK thanks