Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Raltron

join:2014-01-14
puerto rico

4 edits

Starting a WISP from scratch

Hi, I began to read in several forum and ended here. Looks I'm in the right track. I have this big dream in my head to start a business. I need advice ( diagrams, equipment, software, routers, switch, connections ) necessary to build the backhaul. There is a lot of competition out there. I had worked before with Ubiquiti as point to point, and my actual competitors are using it to connect theirs customers to their APs. Also have seen Ubiquiti AirFiber 24 Ghz MW radios for point to point main stream backhaul. I will like to hear from you the equipment used today and the basic configuration to begin with 300 customers ( where I live ). I will have only one competitor and I know I can beat their rates. I have read some forums with basic "How to start a WISP" to have the idea, but when they talk about equipment I know they are not the newest technologies. Now these days I had heard about Mikrotik router and switches, what is the main used of a Mikcrotik router? where occurs the billing ( software? ) and authentication ( Radius Server?). where do I enter user/pass/MAC, firewall, set bandwidth management for customer depending in each one data rates? customer connection or disconnection? Heard about Ubiquiti AP and CPE gears as well as a work horse. I need some ideas on how to dimension my network and build a basic WISP for 200 customers.

Right now I don't need to do a ring or several hubs. I just have to ask for a dedicated high speed business server from a business WISP provider, right now there is no fiber to home or cable company , only local telco/DSL provider and is bad, bad, bad, poor service, old copper, 17,000ft of distance from the hub, many use reach ports. No more than 2.3Mbps. The only choice is to use WIPS, or LTE/4G from cellular carries and will be limited.

Let says I will offer plans from 512Kbps up to 3Mbps, maybe 5Mbps. What it the minimum data rate I need to request to my ISP provider so my servers can work and customer can experience a good service and low latency.? Assuming my WIPS provider have a low latency, where in my case will be created? between the AP and CPE's? Air interference?

How I may implement a basic WIPS?

I will began the business in home to get this running and manage all my potential 200 customers/neighbors approximately. I know this is the right time to start my WIPS.

Thank in advance

Chele

join:2003-07-23
kudos:1

2 recommendations

Raltron
I really think you will have to keep reading through the forum for the info you need. Unfortunately for you, many people post asking for a "prepackaged solution" for 300 clients using the latest and greatest for the least amount of money! You have already seen UBNT and MTK gear mentioned here, they are great solutions for the "least amount of money" portion. Keep reading about those two and you will be well on your way. Ask specific questions and you're likely to get some responses.

Edit added:
BTW, you wouldn't want to start with 300 clients even if you already had them lined up and ready to get connected--there is a learning curve to this industry, and trust me, you will need time to learn about this business. Additionally, if you really want to get into this and don't drink, you might want to start:)

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18

said by Chele:

.... Additionally, if you really want to get into this and don't drink, you might want to start:)

$%#@! I Spit beer out my nose on that one

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to Raltron

»[Equipment] Starting A WISP

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to Raltron

said by Raltron:

How I may implement a basic WIPS?

Thank in advance

By keep up the wipsing until knowledge improves.

Having a few less five hour energy drinks would help as well.

Raltron

puerto rico
reply to Raltron

Ok guys, leaving the cold welcome of some, I know some are willing to help instead joking, all of us were newbies at the beginning. I know I have to keep reading and some YouTube. If there is a prepackage solution, that is what I want to hear, common basic setup to start a one man WIPS company. Here are the specifics questions:

Short term 60 to 80 customers, what MK model router do I need?
I have ham radio 80ft tower Rohn 25, LOS with all customers
How the billing is implemented?
What questions I have to ask to my ISP provider? I requested a quote for 20Mbps through a Cambium PTP licensed radio.
Is BPG need? How does it works?, with a pool of IP's?
Do the router does most of the features and setting to establish a basic WIPS?
What is the minimum of equipment needed?

Thanks in advance

Chele

join:2003-07-23
reply to Raltron

Raltron
Joking is what keeps us sane! The best advise I can offer is: Do not sign any long term contracts; keep your overhead as low as possible; READ, educate yourself.

I have ham radio 80ft tower Rohn 25, LOS with all customers---

>>great

How the billing is implemented? --
>>for 60-80 customers you can do it manually

What questions I have to ask to my ISP provider? I requested a quote for 20Mbps through a Cambium PTP licensed radio --
>>can you resell the connection? Get it in writing! You are talking about a licensed link when you don't even have done a site survey, meaning you might not have any noise to worry about. A licensed link will set you back at the very least $8K, average price, with labor, for us is $20k. Do you have that kind of money laying around? If you do, callllllllll meeeeeeeeeee!

Is BPG need? How does it works?, with a pool of IP's?
>>BGP read up on it, and then you tell me. How much will they charge you per IP? Many providers are not giving IP's away anymore.

What is the minimum of equipment needed?
>>An AP and a MTK(just about any MTK)

Do the router does most of the features and setting to establish a basic WIPS?
>>read up on it.

Keep reading this forum, you will be amazed at the amount of free, and for the most part, correct info you will find here. This forum is fairly vendor agnostic without many fan boys(you'll learn to spot those!). The range of knowledge and experience here is truly amazing, most of the guys here are hands on kind of people. You will have to show you have done some research if you want your questions answered. Yes, you are a newbie, we all were, but that won't save you from reading tons of crap:( The more you know the better questions you will be able to ask and you'll be better prepared to understand the answers you get. Later on you will realize how naive these questions are, and I don't mean any disrespect with that comment!

Raltron

puerto rico

3 edits
reply to Raltron

Chele kindly thanks for your reply to my posts. Regarding the licensed PTP radios, I don't know yet the cost, but I found a couple of these radios in ebay in the range of $6.5K wao!. Still don't now the terms of my ISP, if the lease includes the radio path rent still waiting their quote. How is this ISP business and terms where you live? I can request unlicensed radios but you get what you pay. Being a important path between the IPS and me, maybe the guy quote me robust PTP 600. Yes they told me is a business plan rate for this purpose, I bet the (4) WIPS here are connected with them. This ISP have one of biggest backhaul for last mile customers, have double redundancy, good customer service. Thanks again for the quick tips to get this going..

I'm waiting this quote, this will give a dimension to get going. This is the big chunk here the ISP rent. Of course will look for a open contract to keep the cost to the minimum.

Cheers

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
reply to Raltron

said by Raltron:

Ok guys, leaving the cold welcome of some, I know some are willing to help instead joking,

You would do well to read the rules of this forum prior to posting. I've posted some excerpts to help you out:

About this Forum:
Forum regulars run WISPs ranging from a few to several thousand customers. These people are a valuable resource and are to be treated with respect. If you ask a question and receive an answer, be grateful that someone took their time out from a busy schedule to try and help you, even if it was not the answer you were looking for. If you have patience, you can get the answers you need.

Do Your Homework Before Posting:
Check the forum resources and forum links before posting questions like "What is the best equipment to use to start a WISP?" Please use these resources to learn the basics, as questions like the above will likely not receive an answer. After learning the basics and understanding most of the principles behind running a WISP, if you have a question that can not be answered by using Google, by all means ask it here.

Conduct:
This is a professional forum, and it is expected that you will conduct yourself as a professional. Flaming, trolling or harassment of any kind of other members will not be tolerated and will result in your user ID being banned from posting.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
reply to Raltron

»[Equipment] Starting A WISP

Justin (WHT) already pointed you in the right direction. That is why the moderators made that topic a sticky. Read it, read all of it. Then come back and ask questions.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Raltron

Ignore my "Stuffed animals don't count" link.

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL
reply to Raltron

What's worse is he apparently already has 4 WISPS in the area.

Pick a different profession is my advice
--
»www.wirelessdatanet.net

Raltron

puerto rico

To clear out, 4 WISPS in the whole island were I live, only one near by with poor LOS

Raltron

puerto rico
reply to wirelessdog

NP!

Rhaas
Premium
join:2005-12-19
Bernie, MO

1 recommendation

reply to gunther_01

said by gunther_01:

What's worse is he apparently already has 4 WISPS in the area.

I don't think I'd want to compete against Gino
--
I survived Hale-Bopp!

Raltron

puerto rico
reply to WHT

Good info here.... thx

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL