spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Baroness
join:2013-11-19
Canada

Baroness

@ Sign not working VERY strange

OK so here is my issue, from time to time the @ sign will disappear from the french layout of my keyboard.

Some facts:
-Still works on english layout (shift-2)
-No food stuck under (in french it's altcar-2)
-The anti-spyware and antivirus dont see anything
-Google seems uable to give me an answer.
-It's not the keyboard

Please help me with this because I never know when it will happen and switching the layout to english then back again is really annoying.

I hope Someone can help solve this wierd thing
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

1 edit

19579823 (banned)

I dont know what it may be but if you press ALT+64 it will produce the same as Shift-2

Good luck

Baroness
Canada

Baroness

Thanks for the go around. It's slightly shorter to type than alt-shift-2-alt-shift.

I would suspect it's a symptom from a virus but I don't know where to look for it.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by Baroness:

I would suspect it's a symptom from a virus but I don't know where to look for it.

»Security Cleanup

READ FIRST: »Security Cleanup FAQ »Mandatory Steps Before Requesting Assistance

Baroness
Canada

Baroness

I won't download 5 different programs if it isn't a virus. What will those scans show that Avira AND Adaware couldn't find with a full system scan?

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

Just trying to help.

Good luck.
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

Gem to Baroness

Premium Member

to Baroness

Re: @ Sign not working VERY strange

Do you have a backup image of your OS? If so, restore that backup image or do a full clean reinstall of windows.

See if that will help you. Believe it or not, it might solve your problem.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to Baroness

Premium Member

to Baroness
Which version of Windows?

Baroness
Canada

Baroness

Win7 Ult is my OS. I believe that a clean install would work but I was hoping for a known reason for the problem or a shortcut. If reinstalling windows is the shortest path I guess I'll have to do it at some point

M_
join:2010-05-01
Vancouver, BC

M_ to Baroness

to Baroness
System restore.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to Baroness

Premium Member

to Baroness
Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator
»msdn.microsoft.com/en-us ··· bb964665

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

1 edit

mmainprize to Baroness

to Baroness
there are a few places to set the Language in Windows. Some programs will change the Language when run and change it back when closed.
Since you are a French Keyboard user i would look at the Language setting after you open programs and when you are having the problem. If you find the settings changed, then close programs until it changes back and that is the program that caused it.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Baroness

Premium Member

to Baroness
I don't suppose this is a virus; or if it is, it's a particularly pointless virus.

(I'm a programmer - and my first reaction to weird behaviour is never "it's a virus"; my first analysis is usually "it's a bug")

I'm inclined to the explanation (as per mmainprize See Profile) that the language setting is getting changed somehow. But I can't tell you much more, since I don't know much about it.

Baroness
Canada

Baroness

I can confirm that it has nothing to do with the language settings being changed. Contextually or not to a program running

The most probable cause up to now was an intermittent issue with the right "alt" key

Dave: I have seen a case where the french accents would double tap when you hit the key only once. Making any attempt at typing è into `` .
After some troubleshooting we found out that the problem would only occur in non-windows apps. The notepad and searchbars (windows) would not be affected.
After a while, it turned out to be a virus called Zbot.

I know that the nature of the problem is a little different but it was why I suspected a virus.