join:2007-07-25
Chatham, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·TekSavvy Cable

Cable in Chatham and Slow speeds

Hello Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone in Chatham is noticing really slow speeds tonight. I have done tests each hour since 5PM and I am getting 18-22Mbps down and 4Mbps up. I am on the Ultimate 60 plan, so that is why I am wondering. I heard from the call centre reps that node work is being done to fix this issue this month. Is that true or not.

jmarlatt2

join:2006-09-20
Chatham, ON

Fix is scheduled for today as far as I know. My modem is unable to connect this morning so I'm not sure if that is the issue or not.

Keaters
Premium
Chatham, ON

Just got up an hour ago and I am not noticing anything different. Speeds are fine right now during non-peak hours, but we will see later on this evening. If am I am pulling 60 down and 4 up starting at 5PM, I will be happy!

Keaters
Premium
Chatham, ON

Just called Cogeco about the upgrades to fix the congestion issue and was told there is an alert as there are delays in getting it done today. I was also told there is no eta and they are still working on it

jmarlatt2

Chatham, ON

That sucks, another slow night I guess.

Keaters
Premium
Chatham, ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·TekSavvy Cable

Interesting, called into Cogeco Support and asked for an ETA on the congestion fix. Was advised that the node split was completed today and that the status is set to "Carry Over". According to the tech that means that the activation of the new node will take affect tomorrow. Now, I asked is that for my node, and he said yes. I am over by the College, which is good news for me!! I asked about the rest of Chatham and was advised that node splits were done today as well, but the activations of these nodes will not happen until Monday at the latest. Again, I heard this from a Cogeco Support Tech, so who knows if they are 100% accurate.

Keaters
Premium
Chatham, ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Keaters

Ok, so as per my last post, everything is not fixed. Now, during non peak hours, I am getting 35-40Mbps on the Ultimate 60. During peak hours, I am getting 18-20Mbps. On Wednesday, I was told by a rep that the issue would be fixed yesterday as node splits were completed on Wednesday and the work to active the new nodes was slated for Thursday and I would be up and ready to go. I am confused. How could this work make my connection worse. I am still directly connected to the modem, and all ping tests and trace routes come back clean with no packet loss or latency. Pinging the modems 192.168.100.1 IP is coming back with a 0ms latency and no packet loss. Pinging my network card's IP 127.0.0.1 is showing 0ms and no latency. I am about to rip my hair out. Yes, I don't need 60Mbps,but with the cap structure and the fact I am now watching all my TV through video streaming, I need the cap space and the Ultimate 60 is the only package that has close to 400GB of usage. I need this fixed. I have Peter from the Office of the President on my case, but I have left 2 voicemails this week with no return call. It is like I am being ignored. My issue about all this is that I am paying for a package to get speed. Even if I got 85% of the speed via hardwire, I would be accept, but getting half to less than half, now I am frustrated and upset. This needs to be fixed. Someone help, please.

Keaters
Premium
Chatham, ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·TekSavvy Cable

Well, it is 2:30PM on Monday and here is my speedtest:

We will see at 6PM when I run the test again during the congestion time.

Keaters
Premium
Chatham, ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·TekSavvy Cable

Well, it is 6:09PM and here is my speedtest:

I am going to test again at 8PM to see if it drops below 50Mbps. So far, I am surprised and happy to see that I am close to 60Mbps.

n3k0

@teksavvy.com

said by Keaters:

I am going to test again at 8PM to see if it drops below 50Mbps.

Could you post your 8PM speed test, please.

Keaters
Premium
Chatham, ON

n3ko, I fell asleep last night and did not pay run a test. When I get home from work tonight, I will run the test again and see.

elitedev

join:2013-05-05
Chatham, ON
reply to Keaters

Here's my 35 that Cogeco insists no issues with slow speeds in my area!

Keaters
Premium
Chatham, ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·TekSavvy Cable

3 edits

I just got home not too long ago and ran some tests here are my results starting at 10:30PM

First Test:

Test #2:

Test #3&4 while in safe mode with networking:

Test #5 while back to regular mode:

From this, I am concluding that the issue with the Ultimate 30 and 60 speeds in Chatham is not resolved. GRRRRRRRR

Keaters
Premium
Chatham, ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·TekSavvy Cable

Well, just got up this morning before work and did another test to see if I am getting full speeds during non-peak hours, and here is my result:

I guess, when everyone is at work, I can get my service. I will see when I get home around 10PM and run the test again. This still blows my mind. This is proof there is a problem in Chatham. The fix....increase the frequency on each channel for each node and change the nodes to be 8 channel down and 4 channel up. Do not need to do any infrastructure upgrades for this. Could be done in 72 hours across Chatham.

that_easy

@torservers.net

Wow just that easy ? if it was, do you think they would have done that, more then 72hours ago?

What if there is something occupying the the channels that are needed to expand? You just shut down whatever is running and done?

Im curious how "increase the frequency on each channel" would work?

So you want them to just move the frequemcy the modem locks on?

You might need to understand HFC and DOCSIS a bit more to full understand how it all interconnects.

Keaters
Premium
Chatham, ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·TekSavvy Cable

I understand how HFC and DOCSIS work. The problem in Chatham is that we have the capacity on the nodes to make the changes I mentioned. Case in point - when a buddy of mine, who works for Rogers in Toronto, said to me 3 years ago that customers on the old Rogers 75Meg plan were having slow speeds issues, even through the node was under capacity, they could not figure out why because signal levels were fine, the computers were fine, and the modem was fine with T3 and modem flaps. At the time, Rogers was running 3 channels downstream and 1 channel upstream on a frequency of 400-450MHz for each channel (which is the current situation in Chatham on Cogeco). After some testing with the 75Meg plan on 1 node by changing the frequency for each channel to 600-650MHz, and moving the channel bonding to 4 down and 4 up, speeds were consistent during all hours (between 70-75Mbps on the downstream). Once this was realized, all nodes in Toronto were moved to this same structure in 72 hours and the slow speeds problems were resolved. At the time, for the Cable TV side, Rogers had eliminated all but 35 analogue stations.

In Chatham, we currently still have 31 analogue stations. The nodes have already been split here in Chatham so that each node is handling 125 accounts (confirmed by a Cogeco Field Tech). There is enough bandwidth and capacity on the network, for each node, to add the additional downstream channel (at least) and up the Frequency and this should resolve the problems on the Ultimate 60. At this time, when no is home and using their internet services, I get a full 60 if not higher. When everyone is home and using their services, it drops like crazy. Cogeco has told me time and time again that there is no congestion, so time to start looking at the frequency and channel bonding to figure out the problem. There have been enough node splits in my area to allow for this change. Of course, the work needs to be done at the POI (CMTS) and nodes and we are good to go. Of course there is pre-planning that has to be done, but the actually implementation does not take long.

I have worked for a Cable Company who went through this same problem 4 years ago and this was same fix done by them, so I have been through this myself before too.

Oh, for everyone's delight, here are my speeds again at 10:30PM:

Test One:

Test Two:

Test Three:

Still having the same problem once again!!! We will see how long this takes to be fixed!

funstopper

join:2012-06-20
Chatham, ON

Here are mine on TekSavvy Keaters.

1:

2:

3:

Keaters
Premium
Chatham, ON

Well, I guess your node is better than mine....Now, I am really wondering what the hell is going on.

elitedev

Chatham, ON

More than one node in Chatham.

funstopper

join:2012-06-20
Chatham, ON

Pretty sure there is yes.

elitedev

Chatham, ON

1 edit

Good ol' friday night speedtest!

10:30PM

And for comparison, here is the speedtest from 10:00AM the following morning:

I have no idea why I still give my money to this company.

jmarlatt2

Chatham, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Keaters

Slow here tonight again aswell, but I'm with teksavvy over cogeco's lines. Chatham is way oversubscribed by the looks of things and the only solution is to wait for cogeco to do more node splits or open up more channels if it's possible.

Our only other option is 6mb DSL from bell but that won't work for me. Some areas in Chatham have 15mb available but that's just areas on the south side.

I guess I can alway tether from my iphone since even 3G is faster than my 30mb connection from 7pm till around 12.

jmarlatt2

Chatham, ON

You know your area is in need of a node split when it is so overwhelmed it won't even respond to your modems discover request.

Keaters
Premium
Chatham, ON

But Cogeco swears it is not congestions as all nodes are at 60% or less capacity....I call horse shit on that one.

Keaters
Premium
Chatham, ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·TekSavvy Cable

Just called into Cogeco Tech Support today, again, to figure out the situation regarding the issues with 30 and 60Mbps speeds in Chatham. I was advised that my account has been upgraded to 120Mbps. I said WHAT???? When did Chatham get the node upgrades to allow for that. Tech said they were going to look into it. After 10 minutes on hold, they said they are going to put in a request to get my node updated as they said Chatham was due for 8 channel down and 4 channel up last year, but it was never done. I said, "What crack are you smoking, Chatham Cogeco cannot even get their act together with the Ultimate 30 and 60 packages that you expect them to upgrade nodes to allow for 120Mbps...You are beyond stupid". Then the agent put me on hold again and came back and said that his supervisor advised that the service will be coming but that the highest package I can get is the 60Mbps speed. I said, no shit, now what about the issues with 30 and 60 speeds....I was told that there is no update as Chatham has too many subscribers on the D3 speeds that they did not see this coming. I advised fix it now....now on hold with Customer Service to get my account fixed....this blows my mind! I wish Bell would get their act together and upgrade all of Chatham to VDSL so I can get off of this horrible network. I know that Cable is a shared network, but keep with your subscription rate so that these issues do not exist. Lucky us in Chatham.

jmarlatt2

Chatham, ON

Yep, with no competition they don't have to rush to fix this. As long as your modem stays connected they don't seem to care.

I will be doing hourly speed tests tonight aswell. Results are posted in the Teksavvy dslr forums.

jmarlatt2

Chatham, ON

speeds are looking good so far tonight, will keep testing hourly.

Keaters
Premium
Chatham, ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Keaters

Well, got a call from the Office of the President this week to keep me updated on the slow speeds issue in Chatham during peak hours. I was told that the nodes need to be upgraded and the plans are being escalated for this. As such they said that they do not have an eta as to when it will be finished. They said they cannot tell me what is being upgraded with the nodes....now time to call and ask for a price break until fixex.

Keaters
Premium
Chatham, ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Keaters

Hello Everyone,

After my long battle with Cogeco regarding these slow speeds, I see this on the Cogeco website regarding Phase 2 of the Digital Migration (aka: Analogue Elimination):

Chatham
Before April 15, 2014

Be sure you have received your digital adapter or receiver to avoid any service interruption.
Please contact Cogeco at 1-866-675-9145 to let us know if you need any additional Digital Adapters.
To avoid any interruption in service please refrain from installing your new digital equipment until the following date:

On April 22, 2014

Install you digital adapter(s).
The Classic Cable TV service you currently subscribe to will no longer be available and will be replaced by the new Classic Pack.
TV sets not equipped with a digital adapter will no longer be able to receive service, which means you will lose the channels you currently receive.
Please contact us at 1-877-675-9145 to let us know if you need any additional digital equipment.

Does the above mean that around that day, the issues in Chatham will be resolved with D3 speeds, and maybe, the increase in upload speeds and download speed? Here is hoping

jmarlatt2

Chatham, ON

I could see it fixing the slowdowns a bit if more downstream and upstream channels are opened up, but with their 60mbps package bumped to 120mbps I'm not sure. 10mbps upload sure would be nice tho.

Guess well have to wait and see.