Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to tman852

Re: SSD's, what do you have in your rig?

Main PC - OCZ Vector 256 GB (this is in an X58 system)
Spare PC - OCZ Agility 3 120 GB
HTPC - OCZ Vertex 4 128 GB
Laptop - Mushkin Chronos 120 GB
PS3 - Intel 320 120 GB

Main work PC - ADATA Nobility N002 60 GB (old Indilinx Barefoot drive)
Spare work PC - OCZ Octane 128 GB

Of the three you listed, I'd go with the Samsung. Both it and the Crucial M500 are great drives, but the Samsung is a bit faster. You probably won't notice the difference on your current PC though.

While Kingston makes good drives, I'd put that at the bottom of my list. The SandForce controller in it is getting pretty dated, and I've had bad luck with SandForce-driven SSDs from various brands - of the six I've set up, three have died. Coincidentally, those are the only SSDs that I've had fail on me.
--
KI6RIT

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
Like I said, I only have 1 single SSD in action at the moment. I'm surprised, just as much as you probably are, that it is ONLY 1. I know that many PC users out there have since moved onto multiple SSD's in their systems.

I think the reason for the slow SSD adoption for me, personally, was that I spent a good chunk of change back a couple years ago for this Samsung 830 256GB SSD drive. It was expensive and I still nearly got it for over $100 off it's retail price. Regardless, it was still expensive for what is basically 240GB of super fast drive space.

I've since been biding my time until my next inevitable SSD purchase. I've been waiting until the perfect moment where prices become manageable AND storage capacity increases to match something of a normal HDD(1TB for $250-300).

cat666

join:2013-04-26

2 recommendations

said by TruSm0ke:

I've since been biding my time until my next inevitable SSD purchase. I've been waiting until the perfect moment where prices become manageable AND storage capacity increases to match something of a normal HDD(1TB for $250-300).

I'm the same.

For me SSD's are still more of a luxury item. Whilst its awesome having Windows boot super fast, turning my PC on of an evening then going to cook dinner, isn't causing me grief at all. Likewise, it'd be nice having games loads up that little bit faster, but it's hardly a "must have" thing for me.

Currently the price of an SSD for the storage it offers just isn't worth it.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
said by cat666:

said by TruSm0ke:

I'm the same.

For me SSD's are still more of a luxury item. Whilst its awesome having Windows boot super fast, turning my PC on of an evening then going to cook dinner, isn't causing me grief at all. Likewise, it'd be nice having games loads up that little bit faster, but it's hardly a "must have" thing for me.

I look at storage generally in terms of three basic metrics which are speed, reliability and capacity. So not necessarily in terms of price but higher speeds and higher capacities can obviously correlate to higher prices.

Anyway,......

for typical non-abusive use i don't expect to have any problems with my Samsung 840 (non-Pro) TLC based 500GB SSD. However it stands to reason that there are and will be longevity differences / discrepancies between MLC, TLC and SLC. As well as what comes beyond that,....

I guess my point is that those of whom only consider price or consider price to be the largely dominant metric may also have to accept a shorter lifespan of the product (or potentially) because of the type of NAND that is likely to be used in cheaper SSD units.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
reply to cat666
said by cat666:

i absolutely can't live without my ssd and the storage level is really why most people are running the ssd/hdd combination.

i virtualise and run winders inside of a vm, either on my linux mobile workstation or my macs (2011 mba and 2012 mbp-retina).

i can't handle the bootup times on spindles when i start a vm. vm's and o/s are on the ssd -- bulk data on the spindly ones.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

migel_prado

join:2014-01-17
CA 94509
reply to n_w95482
said by n_w95482:

While Kingston makes good drives, I'd put that at the bottom of my list. The SandForce controller in it is getting pretty dated, and I've had bad luck with SandForce-driven SSDs from various brands - of the six I've set up, three have died. Coincidentally, those are the only SSDs that I've had fail on me.

Yes SandForce had some reliability issues in the past, but guess its all good now. SandForce is faster compared to M4 and samsung, But samsung is a good buy as well... Even my SSD is also Sandforce based ie, Intel 520 120g, Never had any kind of issues or drop in perfomance.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
said by migel_prado:

Yes SandForce had some reliability issues in the past, but guess its all good now. SandForce is faster compared to M4 and samsung, But samsung is a good buy as well... Even my SSD is also Sandforce based ie, Intel 520 120g, Never had any kind of issues or drop in perfomance.

Maybe faster than an 830 or plain 840 (the first one is debatable), but not an 840 Evo or Pro. The M4 is an older drive as well, and one that has been less problematic over the course of its life.

One thing you have to remember about SandForce drives is that they vary in performance depending on if the data is compressible or not. Depending on the type and amount of NAND used in the drive, those two metrics can result in a rather wide difference in performance. While it was a novel way to increase performance and reduce write amplification, modern controllers meet or exceed its performance regardless of the data coming in or going out. One other big negative is that it slows down when paired with over 240 GB of NAND.

At the time, it was a phenomenal performer, firmware issues aside, and it has remained relevant for a very long time in SSD terms. Intel's done a ton of work with the firmware as well. I feel that it's time to move on to other, newer controllers though. I don't see much of a reason to get a SF drive when there's other equivalent or faster drives for the same price.

One other thing to throw out there - one of the dead SF drives I dealt with was an Intel 335. It worked for maybe an hour before giving out. One of the other SF drives lasted maybe 15 minutes, and the third for two years.

said by Ghastlyone:

said by Black_Mage:

New PC I just ordered = 2 Samsung 840 Pros in RAID 0
Playstation 3 = Crucial V4

You actually installed an SSD in a Playstation 3 with a SATA I port?

LOL

I take it you haven't tried it before (and before I continue, one other thing I need to shout out there - just because something uses 1.5 Gbps SATA does NOT mean an SSD doesn't help. IOPS are key with an SSD, and they deliver on that with any interface speed).

It depends on the game; some have more of a benefit than others. I tested my Intel 320 with the Hitachi Travelstar 7K200 I used prior to buying the SSD. In Gran Turismo 5, it reduced the time from launching the game, navigating the menus (they are horrendously slow), and entering a race by 44%. It would have been even more compared to the original 80 GB 5400 RPM drive. Considering how much time I've spent playing that game, it was totally worth it for me. The Crucial V4 is a fitting drive for a PS3 as well.
--
KI6RIT

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
said by n_w95482:

I take it you haven't tried it before

Nope. I wouldn't waste my time and money.