Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cat666

join:2013-04-26

2 recommendations

reply to TruSm0ke

Re: SSD's, what do you have in your rig?

said by TruSm0ke:

I've since been biding my time until my next inevitable SSD purchase. I've been waiting until the perfect moment where prices become manageable AND storage capacity increases to match something of a normal HDD(1TB for $250-300).

I'm the same.

For me SSD's are still more of a luxury item. Whilst its awesome having Windows boot super fast, turning my PC on of an evening then going to cook dinner, isn't causing me grief at all. Likewise, it'd be nice having games loads up that little bit faster, but it's hardly a "must have" thing for me.

Currently the price of an SSD for the storage it offers just isn't worth it.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
said by cat666:

said by TruSm0ke:

I've since been biding my time until my next inevitable SSD purchase. I've been waiting until the perfect moment where prices become manageable AND storage capacity increases to match something of a normal HDD(1TB for $250-300).

I'm the same.

For me SSD's are still more of a luxury item. Whilst its awesome having Windows boot super fast, turning my PC on of an evening then going to cook dinner, isn't causing me grief at all. Likewise, it'd be nice having games loads up that little bit faster, but it's hardly a "must have" thing for me.

I look at storage generally in terms of three basic metrics which are speed, reliability and capacity. So not necessarily in terms of price but higher speeds and higher capacities can obviously correlate to higher prices.

Anyway,......

for typical non-abusive use i don't expect to have any problems with my Samsung 840 (non-Pro) TLC based 500GB SSD. However it stands to reason that there are and will be longevity differences / discrepancies between MLC, TLC and SLC. As well as what comes beyond that,....

I guess my point is that those of whom only consider price or consider price to be the largely dominant metric may also have to accept a shorter lifespan of the product (or potentially) because of the type of NAND that is likely to be used in cheaper SSD units.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
reply to cat666
said by cat666:

i absolutely can't live without my ssd and the storage level is really why most people are running the ssd/hdd combination.

i virtualise and run winders inside of a vm, either on my linux mobile workstation or my macs (2011 mba and 2012 mbp-retina).

i can't handle the bootup times on spindles when i start a vm. vm's and o/s are on the ssd -- bulk data on the spindly ones.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."