spc
Search similar:

uniqs
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

SyFy QAM (597 Mhz)

Anybody know which channel shares space with SyFy? I'm doing some troubleshooting / picture taking prior to a Vz service call in a couple weeks. Still having my color splotching / poor quality on USA / SyFy / HGTV / etc. from a couple years ago. I see USA and HGTV now share 135 mhz, but can't figure out what shares 597.

Thanks.
kes601

kes601

Click for full size
HGTV
Click for full size
SyFy
Click for full size
SyFy
Click for full size
SyFy
Just an example of what I am seeing....

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to kes601

to kes601
Reminds me of my problem last year with two channels on one TV. Fixed it by digging out the splitter in the attic and tightening the coax.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave to kes601

MVM

to kes601
597 MHz has Food Network HD channel 664 and HGTV HD channel 665. Both are MPEG2.

SyFy HD channel 680 rides on 141 MHz, and CNBC+ HD channel 602 shares that QAM. Both are MPEG2.
kes601
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

Interesting, my DVR was reporting SyFy HD on 597 and USA HD / HGTV HD on 135.
kes601

kes601 to Greg2600

to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

Reminds me of my problem last year with two channels on one TV. Fixed it by digging out the splitter in the attic and tightening the coax.

I've tried that in the past, but may try it again. Don't have to go into the attic for it, is in my garage. I've got a couple extra PDI splitters lying around somewhere.

Greg: Were you actually getting the picture/audio breaking up or was it just poor quality? The signal never breaks for me and audio is fine, just the picture gets either extremely blocky or you get colors from previous scenes overlaying the current picture.

nycdave
MVM
Melville, NY

nycdave to kes601

MVM

to kes601
Are you sure the on-screen information was for the correct channel? The DVR's have 2 tuners, so you could have been looking at the other tuner's channel information. How are you getting the frequency information? Which method?
kes601
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

Yes, I am certain. Going to Settings -> System Information -> Press Info for more information. Shows you what channel you are on, the QAM, the SNR, etc.

nycdave
MVM
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

Try using the OSD method, not the IMG system info method. Tune to the channel you want to check -> DVR power off -> press OK twice to bring up the OSD. Scroll down to d06 current channel status. Verify the channel number and frequency. You may need to scroll to the 2nd page to see the other tuner's info. Left arrow to exit out, or just hit the power button.
kes601
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

Ok, will check when I get home. Thanks.

dcowboy
join:2012-05-10
Pequannock, NJ

dcowboy to kes601

to kes601
Not a biggie but it is Syfy.
kes601
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601 to nycdave

to nycdave
said by nycdave:

Try using the OSD method, not the IMG system info method. Tune to the channel you want to check -> DVR power off -> press OK twice to bring up the OSD. Scroll down to d06 current channel status. Verify the channel number and frequency. You may need to scroll to the 2nd page to see the other tuner's info. Left arrow to exit out, or just hit the power button.

Dave, using your method yields the results you expected. SyFy HD = 141 mhz and USA HD = 135 mhz.

Thanks.
wizziwig
join:2013-01-25

wizziwig to kes601

to kes601
I have not noticed what you're seeing but I do see a kind of white checkerboard pattern on Syfy every time there is a sudden camera fade, strobe, or cut. It's very obvious on transitions in shows like Faceoff. No idea if that's part of the original program or some weird re-compression bug.

RScottyL
join:2004-12-28
Arlington, TX
Motorola MB8611
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti Unifi UAP-AC-LITE

RScottyL to nycdave

to nycdave
Click for full size
Same here in my area, SyFy is on channel 680

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by RScottyL:

SyFy is on channel 680

Is that the Guide from Windows Media Center?
kes601
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601 to RScottyL

to RScottyL
QAM frequency, not channel number.
shark2k
join:2008-06-01
West Orange, NJ

shark2k to bohratom

to bohratom
said by bohratom:

said by RScottyL:

SyFy is on channel 680

Is that the Guide from Windows Media Center?

Yup.

-Shark2k
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

SyFy HD is 680 on my system.

Cable channel 17 (141 Mhz), program 662

On my system I see CNBC+ (vchan 602 -program 663) on the same frequency (141MHz).

180 is SyFy East (SD), 441Mhz program 189

Also sharing is (vchan):

58 FX East
128 History
140 Lifetime East
160 Esq
196 E!
181 A&E
240 Hallmark
251 Disney XD

UNY.
kes601
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

So I had a tech come out Saturday to look at this. He said he did not think it was a problem at the house, likely at the CO. But, in order to escalate he needed to change out ONT and battery backup (I had the old 2 prong version).

So here is where it gets comical and annoying....

As suspected it did not fix it. He had left me his cell phone # to call when the problem popped back up so he could escalate it.

Well, # goes straight to VM and his mailbox is full.

To top it off, he left the old ONT and battery backup on site.

So, I tried to post in the direct forum to send somebody out to pick up the equipment at my convenience (as they should since it was left there) and to escalate the issue to level 2.

And, of course they say they can't escalate it, only a field tech can. So, now I am stuck at home on another Saturday morning waiting for a tech to come out to verify there is no problem at my house.

Arghhh.
elefante72
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Can you put a STB on the coax coming out of the ONT (not going to AT) without any house wiring and see if the problem persists? This would rule out bad wiring in the house.

I have a difficult time thinking there is a CO issue, because you probably have 32 or more people on the same line and you would think it would be a neighborhood issue and this was reported. Any neighbors having issue on the same channels?
kes601
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

Yes I have tried that, problem persists. None of the houses right around me have fios installed.
kes601

kes601

Escalations called me yesterday to follow up on the Saturday appointment. Explained what happened. A manager was supposed to call me after I got home yesterday. To my surprise, I got the call but they also moved up my appointment from Saturday to 4:20 yesterday afternoon.

Another tech came out, agreed he saw the problem. Took readers with the sunrise meter (well, an upgraded version of it called something else). Everything checks out at the house. He then worked with tier 2 for a while, they tried changing the card I was on, which is on a different OLT, that didn't help either.

So, today they are calling in a big wig for consulting, apparently the local Vz guy who helped design the system in Hampton Roads.

On a side note, apparently there is a tech note out there about an encoding issue Vz has with some providers, however I don't see how it would only affect me.
kes601

kes601

So apparently there is a "tech note" saying this is "normal" due to an encoding issue that apparently nobody at Vz can/will fix. Said "note" has been open for two+ years.

Solution is for customer to turn softness to "Softest" (thus rendering the HD picture very un-hd like) and to adjust the motion compensation on their tv.

And no, I am not kidding you. The tech-note was read word to word to me.
elefante72
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Man,

That first two looks like interference not necessarily encoding (that is NOT normal). I would try changing your MoCA LAN channel to a different channels and see if that works. The only thing they didn't replace is the Actiontec...
kes601
Virginia Beach, VA

1 edit

kes601

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a shot.

Something I just remembered, on the tech note they were calling it macroblocking. What I am seeing is not macroblocking, but since only a field tech (who probably would agree with me) is the only one who has come to the house to look at it, not much I can do.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to elefante72

MVM

to elefante72
I can't tell if the OP has VZ STBs or only WMC.
You can not change the MOCA LAN channel for the VZ STBs.
If VZ STBs are not involved, then try shutting off MOCA LAN altogether.
kes601
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

I have three 7232s. Yes, I just realized I can't change it as I just locked myself out remotely. Gonna have to change it back when I get home.