spc
Search similar:

uniqs

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

Why doesn't Apple have a web based map?

I try to use products within the Apple eco-sphere and was wondering why they don't have a web based map, like Google does. I know Mavericks has Maps app built in, but if I'm at a non-Mavericks computer and want to be able to plot out a trip and be able to dovetail with my contacts, calendar, etc., it would be a great tool to have.
Seems like it should obvious and one that can help drive traffic, pardon the pun, to their mapping service, no?
Thanks!

Tinkster
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Rosedale, MD

1 recommendation

Tinkster

Premium Member

»discussions.apple.com/me ··· 22824223

Here is a discussion on it and ways to leave Apple feedback.

rjackson

join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA

rjackson to haroldo

to haroldo
Even icloud.com's Find My iPhone uses Google Maps instead of a web version of Apple Maps, which is curious.

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium Member
join:2002-06-22
Atlanta
Apple AirPort Express (2012)
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)
ARRIS SB6183

acadiel

Premium Member

said by rjackson:

Even icloud.com's Find My iPhone uses Google Maps instead of a web version of Apple Maps, which is curious.

Does the new Maps app in Mavericks use TomTom or ??

I'm guessing there's an API there probably that they don't have published... just asking for someone to find it, too!

haroldo
USA

haroldo

It really shouldn't matter who is generating the map, anyone can enter into an agreement to license a product and then display it. They should just sign a contract and provide this, valuable, resource to their customers (IMHO).

rjackal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

rjackal to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
The short answer is that Apple's just not that good at cloud and web services, at least not to the level of Google or Amazon. They don't have enough employees to throw at the problem.
My source: Podcasts and tweets from about a dozen Apple nerds over the last year or so.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

I guess that's as good an answer as any.
Hey, do me a favor and can you reply to those tweets and tell them that I think services (and advertising) is the future...hardware eventually becomes just a commodity.
They should hire a few dozen (?) people and master it.
With all the data and information that flows through user's iCloud account, advertising on the map could be a gold mine...IMHO.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
My guess is they also do not bother because most people use Google Maps even on iDevices the moment Google once again became available most people abandoned Apple Maps.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
Funny, my coworker and I were discussing this over lunch today.

most people know they can find maps.google.com on any computer.

Why shouldn't apple do maps.apple.com and have some mapping functionality on any computer or device?
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

1 recommendation

Riamen to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
Maps, like iCloud, are value added services for Apple's hardware. They exist to make Apple's offerings more attractive.

I don't see much incentive for Apple to provide web based maps if it doesn't help them sell hardware.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to HiVolt

MVM,

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Why shouldn't apple do maps.apple.com and have some mapping functionality on any computer or device?

Fun Fact 322:

You can take most maps.google.com direct links and replace "google" with "apple" to load the same route or location in Apple Maps.

- Get directions on google maps
- Press the "link" button to generate a unique link:
»maps.google.com/maps?sad ··· &t=m&z=9
- Replace google with apple:
»maps.apple.com/maps?sadd ··· &t=m&z=9
- Click on the link on a PC (it goes to google maps), click it on a Mac with Mavericks (it opens Maps), or send it to an iOS device (it opens the Maps app).

haroldo
USA

haroldo to Riamen

to Riamen
said by Riamen:

I don't see much incentive for Apple to provide web based maps if it doesn't help them sell hardware.

Not sure how much, but I'd be willing to bet that Google gets a ton of ad revenue from Maps.
Unlike hardware, where a customer buys a product every two or three years (and you hope they repeat the purchase down the road), advertising revenue occurs 24/7. In addition, the profit margin on an ad is significantly higher than on hardware.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Apple isn't in that business (outside of iAd). If they did a web mapping service, it's extremely unlikely to be ad-supported.

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine to haroldo

to haroldo
Because they're not a web services company, and have no interest in serving non-Apple users.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to haroldo

to haroldo
said by Riamen:

Maps, like iCloud, are value added services for Apple's hardware.

said by Thinkdiff:

Apple isn't in that business (outside of iAd). If they did a web mapping service, it's extremely unlikely to be ad-supported.

said by wmcbrine:

Because they're not a web services company, and have no interest in serving non-Apple users.

I understand your point haroldo, but these post are right on the money, and why I use Apple's services over Google's as much as possible. NO ADS!

haroldo
USA

haroldo to wmcbrine

to wmcbrine
said by wmcbrine:

Are there any non-Apple users out there?
quote:
Apple's chief executive Tim Cook presented a new milestone for iTunes accounts: 575 million. As Asymco's Horace Dediu points out, that means Apple is now adding a half million new accounts on average every day....
»appleinsider.com/article ··· -per-day

Any business that says "we're not..." (referring to a particular business sector or new opportunity) might be deemed short sighted and destined for the trash heap of corporate failures (Polaroid, Kodak, etc.). Clearly, anyone considering long term growth, should have their eyes on all opportunities related to their brand and not limit their potential.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

Mike to rjackson

Mod

to rjackson
You would never find your phone if you had to rely on Apple Maps.