share rss forum feed

cepnot4me

join:2013-10-29
Severn Bridge, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to LYuan

Re: Anyone having problems with Hitron 3GN?

I lay pretty heavily into techs and phone reps. (I'm as sick of of the breakdown in communication as customers are). However I do forget, there are techs like me that are phenomenal at what they do and clearly stand out from the majority. Same applies on the phones. And you sound like you were the ideal customer. Informed, educated and polite. THAT gets things done when you get a great rep. Keep us posted?

LYuan

@rogers.com

Has anyone else received calls back from Rogers, either from the Customer Advocacy team, or otherwise? I'm trying to figure out of that call was the result of my conversation with the @rogershelps team through twitter, or my persistence in calling every day to their tech support line.

wayner92

join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

I haven't @Rogershelps keeps saying I should schedule a field tech visit. Maybe I should insist that I go to Customer Advocacy - do you have a file # that we can all join on to, kind of become a class action?

LYuan

@24.114.51.x

I don't have a case #, but I guess you can just ask for Rahim.

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to wayner92

Wow, guess I have been lucky. So far, not a single lock up, however, I am not in bridge mode. I run into my Pfsense box and set things manually there.

However, I am glad I saw this, so I know what to look for, in case I do start running into issues.

LYuan

@rogers.com

Viper359,

If you're in gateway mode, could you do something for me to test? Many of us have been finding that pinging to the LAN interface of the CGN3 yields abornomally high latency. Could you please let us know what your times are if you ping 192.168.0.1? (Assuming default subnet ID)

LYuan

@rogers.com
reply to LYuan

I have very encouraging news.

The Customer Advocacy team followed up today with regards to the CGN3. I spoke to Rahim directly. He said that he tested the CGN3 modem, and he did see exactly the issues and symptoms that we are finding on this thread. He also completely agrees that this is very abnormal. Now, be he actually approaches Hitron about this, he needs to test that other products don't do the same thing, and is in the process of procuring a Cisco and a CGN2 to test along side the CGN3. This will give him the baseline and the data that he needs to actually needs to approach Hitron.

For us, this is very promising, as not only is Rogers able to recreate the issue, they fully recognize that the behavior of this device is very abnormal.

In terms of timeframe, it will take Rahim a few days to get the modems and test, and beyond that, he wasn't really able to give me a time. Even so, I feel a bit relieved now that I know people are REALLY looking into it.

wayner92

Toronto, ON

It looks like gateway mode is more stable, at least for me. I am now at 62 hours without a reboot - I never made it past 48 hourse on bridge mode.

cepnot4me

Severn Bridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to wayner92

Don't know who got it there, but this is now a known issue. It got added to the original known issue with this modem.

Rogers is aware, which means Hitron is involved to figure out the "why" and once they do the question is a matter of "when" the fix comes... not sure if it was my emails, Rahims excellent TSR support. But you can be certain it was YOUR troubleshooting, persistence and phone calls that got it looked into.

Pat yourselves on the back.

Speaking with one tech, he seems to think if you pick the wrong province in settings you create intermittent status.

Sounds too easy, those with ANY Hitron modem, want to check it out?

Somewhere in settings... make sure it says Ontario...

wayner92

Toronto, ON

Thanks for your help cepnot4me.

cepnot4me

Severn Bridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

I'd like to think I'm helping improve the process and communication failures between customers and Rogers.. at some point the trust between the two broke down. That's kinda my goal signing up here. Things are broken and Rogers needs to communicate better with you guys, your finding the problems.. but no one is listening.. yet. Hopefully we change that.

LYuan

@24.114.48.x

crpnot4me,

Thank you for the update! This is very encouraging news, and just goes to show how we, as customers can do if we are persistent. It also shows that Rogers is willing to go to lengths for their customers IF you talk to the right people.

Out of curiosity, what is the official description of the known issue as seen by you?

Thanks,

L

cepnot4me

Severn Bridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

They've rolled it up as "intermittent connectivity"
Symptoms include.
Internet connection has disconnected or is intermittent.
Lights show the device is online
System tray icon shows no Internet connection.
Cannot ping gateway.

So they basically just covered ALL issues with one ticket.
Long and short.. this things intermittent in general.

LYuan

@dapasoft.com

One more update for you guys! Here's what I was waiting for -

Nice! Rahim just called me this afternoon - He's tested the CGN3, and he's also tested the SMC, CGN2 and the Cisco parts in comparison.

He has confirmed that all of the other parts performed adequeately, EXCEPT the CGN3, which he has experienced the following first hand:

1) High ping times between local devices to LAN interface on CGN3
2) CGN3 crashing after some time of operation in BRIDGE MODE
3) CGN3 crash after some time of operation in GATEWAY MODE

Like you said, this has been escalated to a "known issue", and there will be someone who will be contacting (If not, already has contacted) the vendor.

It has also been confirmed that this is not an isolated incident, and the problem affects all CGN3 devices as far as he can tell.

Thanks for all your advice!

wayner92

Toronto, ON

I have just passed one week without issue in Gateway mode.

LYuan

join:2014-01-24
Canada

I find it funny that most people actually don't have serious issues in Gateway mode, but Rogers actually found some issues with it.

I've actually found a way to crash the CGN3 in gateway mode. Just log into the interface, and click around, going back and forth between ADMIN, WIRELESS, AND BASIC. After awhile, the device just decides that you shouldn't be able to do that any more and gives you the proverbial finger....figuratively speaking of course...

throck

@rogers.com

Count me in as having the same symptoms with the CGN3 - in Gateway mode

1. Ethernet connections would drop after 10-12 hours of use.
2. Status lights on CGN3 remained normal
3. Wireless would stay usable after Ethernet died and new attachments were possible
4. Use of the UI into the CGN3 would cause hang-ups after some back and forth but would also hang-up immediately if a list of Wireless connections was asked for

I spent a long time isolating possible causes and looking for patterns.

One very unusual finding was, it is possible to get the CGN3 to function normally by leaving it on after the Ethernet failure point (i.e NO Reboot) , and simply turning off all things connected to the LAN and waiting for 8-10 hours.

After the wait, Ethernet attachments were possible without having rebooted the CGN3.

wayner92

Toronto, ON
reply to LYuan

said by LYuan:

I've actually found a way to crash the CGN3 in gateway mode. Just log into the interface, and click around, going back and forth between ADMIN, WIRELESS, AND BASIC. After awhile, the device just decides that you shouldn't be able to do that any more and gives you the proverbial finger

Yes, I have noticed that as well. It makes it hard to run the device in GAteway mode since when I try to set up some port forwarding rules the UI crashes on me. I have started a thread on this problem, either here or in the Rogers Community Forums.

RogersElise
VIP
join:2010-09-08
Canada
reply to wayner92

Hi everybody.

I am sorry to hear you're having issues with this device. We're investigating this issue and working closely with the device manufacturer. We want to identify the cause and fix it as soon as possible.

There's a workaround in the meantime - you could switch the device into gateway mode. If you need assistance for that, please don't hesitate to reach out to us on Twitter @RogersHelps or on Facebook (the Rogers page) and we'll help.

Our apologies for the issue and thank you for your patience while we work on this.

wayner92

Toronto, ON

RogersElise - thank you very much for your response. I have switched my device to gateway mode and it is much more stable - I have gone 7.5 days without a problem whereas in bridge mode it would crash every 1-2 days. However, when I try to use the Web UI to do functions like setting up port forwading the gateway often crashes. Do you see this behaviour as well?

Can you confirm that the Cisco Gateways can work with the 250 Mbps Ultimate service? I have had conflicting information on this.

p.s. Can you please ensure that knowledge of this problem with the CGN3 is widely disseminated within Rogers. It is very disappointing when @RogersHelps implies that this problem is not widespread and it is just a probelm with my particular modem. When you send a tech out to my house due to this problem it is a waste of Rogers' money, and if you want me to come to a Rogers store to exchange my CGN3 modem for another CGN3 modem it is a waste of my time and Rogers' resources.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to RogersElise

said by RogersElise:

Hi everybody.

I am sorry to hear you're having issues with this device. We're investigating this issue and working closely with the device manufacturer. We want to identify the cause and fix it as soon as possible.

There's a workaround in the meantime - you could switch the device into gateway mode. If you need assistance for that, please don't hesitate to reach out to us on Twitter @RogersHelps or on Facebook (the Rogers page) and we'll help.

Our apologies for the issue and thank you for your patience while we work on this.

Also, for what it's worth, please mention to your higher ups that power users REALLY want a standalone DOCSIS 3.0 modem with no router attached.

I feel it's important to reiterate that every time I talk to someone at Rogers.

wayner92

Toronto, ON

said by SimplePanda:

power users REALLY want a standalone DOCSIS 3.0 modem with no router attached.

+1

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to wayner92

said by wayner92:

RogersElise - thank you very much for your response. I have switched my device to gateway mode and it is much more stable - I have gone 7.5 days without a problem whereas in bridge mode it would crash every 1-2 days. However, when I try to use the Web UI to do functions like setting up port forwading the gateway often crashes. Do you see this behaviour as well?

Can you confirm that the Cisco Gateways can work with the 250 Mbps Ultimate service? I have had conflicting information on this.

p.s. Can you please ensure that knowledge of this problem with the CGN3 is widely disseminated within Rogers. It is very disappointing when @RogersHelps implies that this problem is not widespread and it is just a probelm with my particular modem. When you send a tech out to my house due to this problem it is a waste of Rogers' money, and if you want me to come to a Rogers store to exchange my CGN3 modem for another CGN3 modem it is a waste of my time and Rogers' resources.

RogersHelps replied to another thread and stated that the only way the system allows 250Mbps service to be provisioned is if you also have a CGN3.

wayner92

Toronto, ON

Here is my DM convo with @RogersHelps on Twitter from Friday:

@RogersHelps - Have you gotten your Cisco modem yet?

Me - No - can the Cisco modem support the Ultimate 250/20 speeds?

@RogersHelps - Yes ^ch

Me- A friend of mine traded in his Cisco for a CGN3 as he was told that you must have a CGN3 for Ultimate 250 service.

@RogersHelps - The Cisco modem should be compatible with all our tiers of service. It is the DPC3825. ^ch

Me - My understanding is that the 250Mbps download speed requires a 24x8 channel modem and the CGN3 is the only such modem offered by Rogers.

@RogersHelps - My documentation indicates that the DPC3825 will work. It supports 320mbps down and 120mbps up. ^ch

LYuan

Canada

Okay - We keep on beating this dead horse over and over again to the point of unrecognisable proportions, and Rogers' CSRs' misunderstanding of the situation exasperates the issue to a brand new level.

1. Can the Cisco device support the speeds of 250/20 and up?
YES
2. Can the Cisco device support the speeds of 250/20 and up on Rogers network?
NO

You are driving an F1 on the 403 in rush hour. You can't go as fast as your car's specs because of traffic, and you're not allowed to go in the car pool lane because your car only holds one person. In order for you to go faster, you need a different car with 2 seats, so that you can use the car pool lane.

We keep on asking the same questions, and the "yes" answers keep giving confusing people. Let's say every single CSR tells you "YES", the fact of the matter is their [Rogers'] system simply does not allow you to attach any device other than the CGN3 to your account when you are provisioning the 250/20 plan.

We can look at spec sheets and capabilites of the devices until google brings fiber to Toronto (never), and this fact still won't change unless Rogers changes things on their end.

So, let's put this baby to bed, and concentrate on getting that CGN3 working properly. That'll shut most people up, including me.

wayner92

Toronto, ON

said by LYuan:

concentrate on getting that CGN3 working properly. That'll shut most people up, including me

I agree with one clarification - working properly in both bridge mode and gateway mode.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by wayner92:

said by LYuan:

concentrate on getting that CGN3 working properly. That'll shut most people up, including me

I agree with one clarification - working properly in both bridge mode and gateway mode.

On DSLReports I'm pretty sure "working properly" means "bridge mode, because there's another mode than bridge mode?"

wayner92

Toronto, ON

I know that and you know that but I don't want Rogers to say that everything is fine with the modem and it works perfectly fine as long as it is in Gateway mode.

LYuan

Canada

I would have to disagree. Gateway is an improvement on bridge mode, but it is far from perfect. You might not have seen it, but many have, including Rogers themselves. For what you use your connection for, the issues may might not be as apparent.

wayner92

Toronto, ON

Sorry, you misunderstood me. What I meant is that I don't want Rogers to consider the problem fixed if they fix the current problem in Gateway mode only. I agree that there are problems for many in Gateway mode and also with the web UI.