Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

unibroker
Premium
join:2010-11-12
Altadena, CA

Determine gapps version

I downloaded multiple gapp versions to my pc and can't remember the last one I pushed to my device. Is there an adb shell command to get that info? TIA.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
Nope - GApps are just a combination of the various Google apps. Once they're pushed to your phone, the "package" aspect is irrelevant. In fact, once they're on your phone, the individual pieces will be updated through the Play Store. You've seen notifications for GMail and other Google apps needing updated, yes ?

unibroker
Premium
Altadena, CA
I build custom roms and there are currently 4 gapps packages that I have pushed from my pc. The one currently installed was the one that worked and I was just trying to determine its version. When I downloaded them to my pc their filenames were unique so my question is, is there a way of seeing that filename on my device? I guess I could go back and scan my BASH history and look for the last push. If so this would be a question for the Unix board (thinking out loud). Thanks for your time.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
When you pushed it to your PC, did you push the zip ? If so, is it still there ? The filename will only be your clue, but the fact is, GApps aren't "versioned". They simply have dates of roughly when they're packaged and a reference to what (major) Android version they work with, for example "jb" for JellyBean, "kk" for KitKat, and so on.

unibroker
Premium
Altadena, CA
Yes and Yes (therein lies the problem). Someone giving me assistance with my KK build asked what "gapps" I was using. I didn't delete the packages that caused problems and you'd think I could just scan for the last download but I made changes to the build so I may have gone to an earlier download. You did answer my question by saying Gapps aren't versioned. Thanks.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
said by unibroker:

Someone giving me assistance with my KK build asked what "gapps" I was using.

GApps versions are very confusing and they shouldn't be. With the "official" versions, I don't even know where they come from ! The fact is, there is really only a version for KitKat, JellyBean, etc -- earlier on, it was messy as they were based on the device's DPI capability.

When you see a GApps package from Paranoid Android, for example, they do nothing special (and make that point clear) other than taking the latest released versions of the pieces. For example, PA can release a GApps package tomorrow, consisting of the latest pieces (Gmail, Play Store, Search, etc) and in three days, Google updates just the Play Store. PA will release a new package, but Gmail, Search, etc will be the exact same as the prior release and only Play Store is new. There's almost never a need to install a "new" GApps package. As I said in my first response, if you install an "old" package, the Play Store will update the pieces.

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA
reply to unibroker
Isn't the ZIP file still viewable in the download folder on the phone?
--
Iphone. Helping computer illiteracy become popular since 2007

unibroker
Premium
Altadena, CA
I'm sure it is but I have 3 other gapps as well as some didn't work with my build. I guess the filename would be the unique identifier but I guess I got screwed up thinking there was a command like uname --version in linux which tells you what kernel your running.