uniqs

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to BosstonesOwn

MVM

to BosstonesOwn

Re: [Staff] RANT: WTF with headhunters and the belief of some of these....

I follow Liz Ryan CEO of Human Workplace on LinkedIn, the only person I follow as her postings are really worth the time. I highly recommend her.

That said she recently had a posting about what people are looking for and why positions are so hard to fill. They are looking for unicorns. One example she gave is if you're looking for a nanny you don't advertise for a person with extensive experience on the Wonder Stroller 8000. Job postings have software and devices that you can train people to use, not the actual skills you want.

I agree, someone with all of the requested experience isn't going to be willing to accept 80k.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

They are also often looking for the "Walk on Water" candidate. They toss in a lot of "it would be nice if they had this" items but really they NEED a lot less.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to Kilroy

MVM

to Kilroy
Kilroy, thanks for pointing me out to Liz Ryan. Great articles!
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

im following now as well. I gotta read them now thanks !

CGMason14
Nj Roaddog
join:2002-07-22
Mountainside, NJ

CGMason14 to donoreo

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

They are also often looking for the "Walk on Water" candidate. They toss in a lot of "it would be nice if they had this" items but really they NEED a lot less.

That or the posting is to fulfill an important requirement of the H1-B visa process. Businesses seeking the visas have to advertise the job opening and determine that there are no qualified candidates in the USA to fill the position. An easy way to do this while guaranteeing the position won't be filled is to try and find someone that can walk on water.

Even if someone applied for these job listings, nobody will actually get the job. They are setup to fail by the company's HR department before they even walked in the door for an interview.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

You can tell a 'visa job advert' by the fact that it asks you to 'reference case NNN when replying', as well as the highly-specific description of required skills and experience.

At least, you could when this was all conducted with adverts in newspapers. But why would someone engage a headhunter to fill a position they didn't really want to fill? Is that now a necessary part of the pretense?

I believe the hiring company has to provide evidence (to the government) as to why none of the applicants were suitable so everyone who applies results in documentation work for someone
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross to CGMason14

to CGMason14
said by CGMason14:

That or the posting is to fulfill an important requirement of the H1-B visa process.

Not surprisingly, a lot of the "visa process" thing has turned out to be "visa fraud", which the government has finally started waking up to.