spc
Search similar:

uniqs

kdwycha
join:2003-01-30
Ruskin, FL

kdwycha

[TV] Anyone Using A TiVo Roamio?

Filed my income tax today and even though it wont efile till Jan 31'st the money is burning a hole in my pocket

I have been considering getting a TiVo Roamio HD-DVR to replace the current BHN Cisco HD-DVR I have currently.

The main reason I want to do this is to be able to record 4-6 shows at once (depending on the model I get) and because I hate the user interface on BHN IRD's because other then the colors it seems to have not changed since the 90s.

Does anyone have one of the newer retail TiVo units and have any success with it?

Do I just purchase the TiVo, sign up for the monthly fee and then call BHN to get a cablecard for it?

Will it actually record 4 or 6 shows at once using BHN?

Any other issues I may encounter with a TiVo? (I understand it will not work with On Demand)

Thanks In Advance

--Kevin
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

well, Id wait to see what BHN does with their guide set up in the next month or 2... Otherwise, The tivo is nice but can be quite a headache with the tuning adapters and cable cards and all of that stuff.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to kdwycha

Premium Member

to kdwycha
said by kdwycha:

Filed my income tax today and even though it wont efile till Jan 31'st the money is burning a hole in my pocket

I have been considering getting a TiVo Roamio HD-DVR to replace the current BHN Cisco HD-DVR I have currently.

The main reason I want to do this is to be able to record 4-6 shows at once (depending on the model I get) and because I hate the user interface on BHN IRD's because other then the colors it seems to have not changed since the 90s.

Does anyone have one of the newer retail TiVo units and have any success with it?

Do I just purchase the TiVo, sign up for the monthly fee and then call BHN to get a cablecard for it?

Will it actually record 4 or 6 shows at once using BHN?

Any other issues I may encounter with a TiVo? (I understand it will not work with On Demand)

Thanks In Advance

--Kevin

If I were you (knowing what I know about this specific model) I would hold off a bit until they iron some things out. Check their forums and you will see why. We helped them resolve a TA issue last month which has helped a bunch but issues on their end still remain. I'm sure it will be fine eventually but see a lot of angry folks over there.

kdwycha
Ruskin, FL

kdwycha

Alrighty I think I may hold off and see if BHN guide shows any improvement in the next few months. I spend a lot of time surfing around in the guide and that is really my only complaint. 4 or 6 tuners isnt the end of the world considering I have Hulu which I use for a lot of shows that record on a daily basis anyway.
ShadowFoxBiH
join:2013-04-27
Port Richey, FL

ShadowFoxBiH to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Gary ever since you setup the cable card to work with my Roamio I haven't had any issues.... I will say though I prefer the Tivo Interface.

My Review of the Roamio:
I have been using mine for about two months now and find it quite simple to use and a lot faster than the old Premiere that I replaced. Currently I have the 4 tuner model and it will record 4 shows at once without a hiccup which makes it easy to record multiple shows. With a Tivo all you have to do is buy it and sign up for service, the tricky part is getting it to work with BrightHouse; you need a cable card and tuning adapter for it to work properly and I would recommend you talk to Gary about this since when I tried to talk to customer service they told me a truck roll was needed. All in all I love the Roamio.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Oh yea I'll be happy to get you setup but I'm still following posts over in their forums that concern me. It's a new product...they will figure it out. The TA firmware update on our end helped out tons but there are still some issues that only Tivo can address and by appearances they are...it's just taking some time.
tracktech
join:2012-11-30
Orlando, FL

tracktech to kdwycha

to kdwycha
I bought a Roamio Plus to replace a Tivo Series 3 in early September and I've been very happy with it. I didn't have any trouble getting it set up, just exchanged the 2 single stream cable cards the Series 3 used for 1 multi-stream card and used the same tuning adapter I had for the Series 3. A quick call to BHN got the card paired to the Roamio and I was off and running.

I've tested recording with all 6 tuners and it works perfectly. Other than for a test I can't think of a time when I've actually used more then 4 tuners at the same time.

I have had a few shows fail to record which appeared to be due to a tuning failure on SDV channels. This hasn't happened since Tivo updated the software in mid-December to address this issue. I also had one instance where both the Roamio and a BHN HD box stopped receiving any channels. I'm not sure what happened, but a BHN phone rep was able to get everything reset and working in about 15 minutes.

I should note that I do not use the streaming function at all. The Roamio is connected to a single TV for playback.

kdwycha
Ruskin, FL

kdwycha

So whats this tuning adapter that yall speak of? Also this isnt about money at all or savings over BHN DVR's but just curious how much does this cablecard and tuning adapter cost me each month?
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

Tuning adapter is free, cable card is like 2.99 I think.. Tuning adapter is what allows your Tivo to have 2 way communication on the BHN network so that you can get SDV channels.
sbiller1
join:2011-05-25
Tampa, FL

sbiller1 to kdwycha

to kdwycha
I've been using a 6-tuner Roamio Pro and two MoCA-connected Mini's since November. Since the recent Tuning Adapter firmware update combined with TiVo's most recent software update (20.3.8), all of my TiVo boxes have been extremely stable. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the combination as the best DVR on the planet even with the complications associated with pairing CableCARDs and installing Tuning Adapters. Take a look at the reviews of all of the new boxes on Amazon, etc. You'll see that the average review score is excellent.

~Sam (acknowledged TiVo fanboi)

kdwycha
Ruskin, FL

kdwycha

Thanks for all the feedback I will take a look into this further as it seems like a less complicated solution to things such as the HD Homerun Pro and other products I have looked at.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to kdwycha

to kdwycha
I have a TiVo Roamio (admittedly not on Bright House) and I love it. Generally the main problems are 1) getting the cable card activated and paired 2) getting the Tuning Adapter working. Since you're here, you can poke BHNtechXpert and number one shouldn't be an issue. Number 2 depends on getting a TA with the right firmware. BHNtechXpert mentioned that they pushed a firmware upgrade, and he is plugged in to the community so at least you have someone you can poke. It's not a dire situation, but keep in mind you *might* have some initial issues, but TiVo is pretty good at trying whatever it takes to get things fixed.

Keep in mind, if you buy it based on the streaming capabilities, you cannot stream anything outside of your home because of the copy protection applied to all channels by Bright House. You CAN stream to other TiVos and TiVo minis INSIDE your house, and you can also stream to iPhones and iPads while at home on your network. It only breaks out of home streaming.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to kdwycha

Premium Member

to kdwycha
said by kdwycha:

Thanks for all the feedback I will take a look into this further as it seems like a less complicated solution to things such as the HD Homerun Pro and other products I have looked at.

It is less complicated at that (and less of a headache for me {self serving statement} )

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

indeed, I tried a HDHR + WMC setup for a few weeks but I went back to TiVo. The TiVo fee is worth the simplicity. My HDHRs are going on eBay this week.

turtleguy
@96.58.164.x

turtleguy

Anon

I bought one in November, took several contractors and BHN guys (had four at a time in my house trying to get it working). Seemed ok at first, but had tuning issues. I think the new software update did occur at some point, and have not had any issues withe the TA since. I love the improved functionality of the Roamio and extra features. Been with brighthouse for 15 years and none of the STB's I had ever performed as well as this. May take a while to recoup the investment, but at least I not mad at my cable company/equipment any more.
sbiller1
join:2011-05-25
Tampa, FL

sbiller1 to mixdup

to mixdup
said by mixdup:

Keep in mind, if you buy it based on the streaming capabilities, you cannot stream anything outside of your home because of the copy protection applied to all channels by Bright House. You CAN stream to other TiVos and TiVo minis INSIDE your house, and you can also stream to iPhones and iPads while at home on your network. It only breaks out of home streaming.

The main broadcast networks (abc, cbs, fox, nbc, pbs) are not protected (i.e., flagged copy-freely) so they can be streamed and downloaded for off-line viewing out-of-home.
joetivo
join:2013-02-09
Tampa, FL

joetivo to kdwycha

to kdwycha
I just setup a Roamio Pro in my family room with a MOCA connection to another Tivo in my bedroom. If You intend to use MOCA and you have a tuning adapter (for SDV) do not use the pass thru connection to connect to the Tivo, you will need to split the signal from the coax to the tuning adapter and the tiro.

As for the card cable you can pick it up at one of the brighthouse locations. The BNHtechXpert here can do the pairing. He makes it a painless process. Since bright houses and Tivo's running adapter updates missed recording seem to be a thing of the past.

I think you will love the roamio.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to kdwycha

Premium Member

to kdwycha
You are correct...you must NOT use the pass-through from the TA for Roamio units as it does not work properly with MOCA and TA's.

tstyle
@bhn.net

tstyle

Anon

I got a Roamio for xmas and just got around to setting it up. I have BHN internet and basic cable (no box) service and was looking for some help on how to set up. Do I need a M-card and/or tuning adapter. All I want is the basic channels I get now and would rather not pay any extra. thanks

janderso1
Jim
MVM
join:2000-04-15
Saint Petersburg, FL

2 recommendations

janderso1

MVM

I believe that the Roamios are digital only. To get TBS, USA, A&E, etc you will need a cable card and a tuning adapter for $3 per month.
wbrightfl
join:2004-07-15
Fort Lauderdale, FL

wbrightfl to kdwycha

to kdwycha
When I switched to TIVO I picked up a M-cable card and tuning adapter from my local office. You need both the cable card and tuning adapter to access all channels in a digital package but for standard I think you only need a cable card. The set up was painless. Most of the channels began working with the first hit but I had to ask Gary to have them hit me again the next day as some random channels still weren't appearing. That was over a year ago and I haven't had any issues since. I love my TIVO, but do miss the "On Demand" options I no longer have access to.