how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Chele

join:2003-07-23
kudos:1

Who makes licensed PtMP 200mbps gear?

We have been asked to find a system capable of moving 12mbps in one direction from 7 stations(mostly video). All the stations are pretty much in a straight line, one behind the other and only about 1/2 mile apart. We thought we had found a solution with RAD in 2.5gHz but their gear can only handle 100mbps aggregate and their system can't colocate multiple BSUs(AP) facing the same direction so we can't stack the BSUs. The initial design called for licensed PtP links from station to station but is proving too costly. The final number of stations will be around 30 and they will be divided into PtMP systems with 7 stations being the most associated to a single BSU(AP). Can anyone offer any suggestions equipment wise? BTW, this is for the US.
Thanks

prairiesky

join:2008-12-08
canada
kudos:2

check out waveIP

Chele

Thanks, their specs look nice. I'll call them in the morning.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA
reply to Chele

Trango has licensed stuff where you can stack two radios and combine them if I am not mistaken..

»www.trangosys.com/products/point···ro.shtml

dongato17
VIP
join:2000-07-28
Atlanta, GA
reply to Chele

How's 5GHz look?
--
Harold Bledsoe

Chele

Th

said by dongato17:

How's 5GHz look?

The client is demanding, not requesting, licensed frequencies. To say it's mission critical would be putting it mildly

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL
reply to Chele

So you need (as a requirement) licensed PtMP?

I think your only option is 2.5Ghz as a "reasonable" approach. But even given that you have to find a license holder in your area that will allow you to use it.

If it is that "mission critical" it should be licensed PtP. And if they aren't willing to pay for that, than it isn't (that) mission critical.

Another option would be 24Ghz or I think isn't there an 18Ghz unlicensed spectrum? That may be an alternative since your distances are so short. Even upper 60Ghz stuff I think can go that far, and would be pretty stable from an interference standpoint. Maybe not a climate stand point though. But you could easily add back up 5Ghz links to failover to. Come to think of it, if it's that mission critical again, it should have back ups to begin with. Likewise there is the option of public safety bands if this is a government entity. That's pretty close to licensed IMO if no one else in the area is using it.
--
»www.wirelessdatanet.net

Chele

It's one of those that the client wants a certain thing and we have to see if it's possible---which doesn't look very promising:( We had initially designed the system using PtP licensed links, with a total of 30(PtP). The combined throughput of all the links will be a bit over 400mbps. Luckily, fiber is not an option:)

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

I get it, it's just a crazy request for licensed I think

I'd be looking at Radwin or Cambium if unlicensed was available for those speeds and PtMP.
--
»www.wirelessdatanet.net

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
reply to Chele

said by Chele:

Th

said by dongato17:

How's 5GHz look?

The client is demanding, not requesting, licensed frequencies. To say it's mission critical would be putting it mildly

What regulatory domain? Is that client willing to pay for sufficient spectrum, compliance testing and certification of new products?

I have dabbled in FPGA-DSP based solutions which could deliver even 1Gb/s per sector in 2.0-6.0Ghz range. They can also implement custom TDMA solutions when many concurrent CPEs will be located along same LOS and will require extremely high bandwidth at low latency.

Any kind of 802.11n based pseudo-TDMA solutions are not suitable for such applications for complex technical reasons.

Chele

reply to prairiesky

said by prairiesky:

check out waveIP

I wrote to them - no reply. I called them - no response. I need to keep looking:( It's beginning to look like either licensed PtP or unlicensed PtMP.

Edit-added Lutful's reply

Lutful
I seriously doubt they would be willing to pay for compliance testing and all the other good stuff. They will have to work with whatever is available off the shelf.

prairiesky

canada

They're based of of Israel. Technically, I'm the candian rep if you want info, I can probably get it for you. I know Curt Gordy of Midwest infrastructure used to carry it for the US.

Chele

Thanks Prairiesky. I wonder how practical it is to install something for which the manufacturer has no presence in the US? I did look over Midwest's website and don't see anything related to wireless on their site, which even if they did carry WaveIP it appears it's not one of their main lines--which creates even more doubts:( We have already told the client that licensed spectrum doesn't look very promising, just the same we will continue looking.

Thanks for all the input.

Rhaas
Premium
join:2005-12-19
Bernie, MO

I would look at Redline for their unlicensed gear.
I think you will have a hard time finding ptmp gear @200Mb/s though.
--
I survived Hale-Bopp!

prairiesky

canada
reply to Chele

said by Chele:

Thanks Prairiesky. I wonder how practical it is to install something for which the manufacturer has no presence in the US? I did look over Midwest's website and don't see anything related to wireless on their site, which even if they did carry WaveIP it appears it's not one of their main lines--which creates even more doubts:( We have already told the client that licensed spectrum doesn't look very promising, just the same we will continue looking.

Thanks for all the input.

Curt is the guy who was carrying it for the longest time. He got me started. He's a very smart man. Give him a shout and see if he still does it. He website seems to suggest he's moved on, but you never know. He was a huge help when I started way back when