bennor
Premium Member
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT

2 recommendations

bennor to Danonyme

Premium Member

to Danonyme

Re: Microsoft antimalware support for Windows XP extended.

said by Danonyme :

That OS is 13 years old. A computer that old will be too slow to be usable on anything internet related. If it's recent enough to be able to do Facebook and Skype stuff, then it will be able to run 7 (or a recent Ubuntu)

So what if the OS is 13 years old. I still run XP on two PC's because it does exactly what I need it to do. I run it because I also run software that operates best on Windows XP.
waldstein
join:2010-07-25
Hoserland

3 recommendations

waldstein to antdude

to antdude
Some pretty arrogant, or perhaps ill-informed, judgemental types here.

My current main box is two years old, runs a quad core at 3ghz, and does a substantial amount of video conversion and some rendering. I skype with my kids all the time and watch streaming videos at 720p. And guess what? I dumped Vista the day I brought it home (or was it seven?), downgraded to xpsp3, and have not regretted it for a second.

I suppose, sooner or later, I may have to upgrade and I shudder to think of the effort I will expend replacing the many bug-free and reliable legacy apps I now run. If, of course, there ARE replacments for them.

So please spare me the tone and content of your condescending remarks about those of us who remain quite happy, TYVM!, with windows XP. Many of us, I might add, are quite capable of a bit more than facebooking (is that a proper word for that idiocy?) or sending email.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

1 recommendation

shdesigns

Premium Member

Yes, I still run XP on my laptop (laptop came with a coupon for Vista.) Vista and Win7 both 32 and 64-bit were too annoying. Went back to XP and much more usable.

Biggest pain was the display. Vista/7 just wants to move everything back to the main display when the TV loses the connection for a fraction of a second. That and lots of odd stuff happens after suspend (along with turning off the TV.)

That and 64-bit wanting signed drivers. I have development tools that don't have signed drivers and the published workarounds did not work.)

If they drop support, I don't care. I don't update it anyway. Just used for Netflix and dev tools on the road.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
3 More Patch Tuesdays Until Windows XP Expires
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross

said by siljaline:

3 More Patch Tuesdays Until Windows XP Expires

IIRC, I ran an internet-connected copy of Win98b for at least two or three years after they ended support for it. My anti-malware software was enough to keep it safe during that time - not that I really trusted Microsoft's patches to accomplish very much in that regard anyway. A few measly patches every month simply weren't enough to take care of the countless holes in that system, and I don't expect that the situation is that much better these days, either.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

For those who used common sense it's not always an issue. It's when remote, and local exploits start to become an issue. Even when it was currently supported Microsoft was slow to patch problems with IE's hacktivex, and most people didn't know they should be running with it disabled by default otherwise some random page, otherwise frame could exploit their IE to run code on their system. It was far too frequent for my tastes, and that was back when Microsoft was trying to take over the web, there was even IE for mac and linux, but with the help of Google, along with other companies helped Mozilla come back from the ashes to arise with phoenix, which later had to be named firefox due to a claim it was already being used. That blazed the path for Google Chrome also... You couldn't really expect that the average person knew not to run IE with default settings unless they were exposed to, or had to fix these problems. It was one thing for user intervention to be used to exploit a system, but IE was one of Microsoft's single more embarrassing programs in my opinion.

IE didn't get protect mode until Vista which actually started to enforce user accounts by default also.

Also their use of autoplay in those early days was a bad bad bad idea, you needed something like tweakui to turn it off, or plugging in a drive could run something you didn't want taking over your computer, like the sony cd rootkit.
Mister_E
join:2004-04-02
Etobicoke, ON

Mister_E to antdude

to antdude
Went from XP to Win7 64bit - don't regret it at all.

I still have my previous PC build (that's been passed down to my young daughter) and a netbook (rarely sees use now) that are still running XP though - they're fine for what they are.

With Windows 9 now around the corner (2015), Windows 8/8.1 looks even more like Vista/ME all over again...

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to scross

Premium Member

to scross
I can clearly recall when MS News was on NNTP.
In the day - many Win98 users pushed their software way beyond the support envelope. Those where heady days. Relying soley on your AV | AS for protection in lieu of patching is unrealistic at best in the current envirenoment as I see it.

siljaline

siljaline to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
quote:
Microsoft confirmed on Friday that it will continue to offer its malware scrubbing program to Windows XP users for more than a year after it stops patching the operating system.

Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool will continue to be provided for Windows XP through July 14, 2015
»www.networkworld.com/new ··· 863.html

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

dolphins to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
Doesn't do me any good that they are extending the support another year. I haven't been able to access Windows Update since Sept 2013. »Windows Update using 98% CPU

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 edit

2 recommendations

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by dolphins:

Doesn't do me any good that they are extending the support another year. I haven't been able to access Windows Update since Sept 2013. »Windows Update using 98% CPU

You might check out this thread over in the MS forum: »[XPPro] MS Quietly Fixes XP Resource Hog (SVCHOST) The claim is that Microsoft has now fixed this, at least quietly. Since my XP systems never showed the problem, I can't test it out...

edit: fixed link

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
Westville, NJ

dolphins

Premium Member

Thanks, I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to siljaline

Premium Member

to siljaline
said by siljaline:

I can clearly recall when MS News was on NNTP...

msnews.microsoft.com.
antdude

antdude to dolphins

Premium Member

to dolphins
said by dolphins:

I had the same problem, but it just have to be patience. Like run it when AFK or asleep for a while. I have seen it go to an hour or so. Anyways, MS fixed this issue as of last week's Tuesday.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
Westville, NJ

dolphins

Premium Member

Well that was a nail biting experience. Thanks to the prompting from Blackbird See Profile I first backed up my system and then re-enabled the following:

Error Reporting Service
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Automatic Update

Then lastly with anticipatory anxiety I applied AU in the control panel. Suddenly the CPU spiked again but it was only until the fix was applied. After the reboot AU seemed normal again.

All seemed to be going smooth until I stepped out of my office for a few. When I came back my firewall was lit up with multiple exe's asking for permissions. As I allowed the last one I got a BSOD. I rebooted and gave it a 2nd try. With over 40 critical updates and the needle pinned at 99% I thought, here we go again! But after a little while my firewall quieted down, the CPU dropped to a normal level and everything installed successfully. After rebooting this time everything seems fine but I'm still watching for any glitches?
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
And now, Microsoft is so desperate that they are asking people to lobby their family members:

Help your friends and family get off Windows XP
»blogs.windows.com/window ··· -xp.aspx

PC World made fun of this approach:

The Redmond, Washington company’s appeal was akin to General Motors asking customers to help the Detroit automaker sell new 2014 Cadillac Escalades, or General Mills asking consumers to convince friends to switch from their monochrome Cheerios breakfast cereal to something more colorful, like Trix or Lucky Charms.

»www.pcworld.com/article/ ··· -xp.html

---->If MS was willing to help people move from XP onto Windows 7 instead of the unpopular Windows 8, they might get somewhere:

1) Make Win7 upgrades available now (right now they have officially been pulled in favor of Win8, although OEM versions can be found).

2) Provide some upgrade help so that people don't have to rebuild and reinstall their programs and data from manual backups (there is 3rd party software that will help people with upgrades, so it's certainly possible).

3) Or extend XP support until next year when Windows 9 comes out. And build an easy upgrade path into Windows 9.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

1 recommendation

rcdailey

Premium Member

If you have really old hardware, it would make no sense to try to install Win 7. Just buy a new or refurbished system that comes with Win 7.

Of course, one could always switch to linux.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

There's no reasoning with some people, and the last system I saw with 32-bit Win 7 was a single core joke that couldn't even play non-hd youtube videos smoothly.
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

1 edit

DarkSithPro (banned) to antdude

to antdude
Gee... Perhaps they can get creative for a change? Here's a novel idea: Use your other products to increase your OS market share. Instead of 100 dollars to ditch your PS3, how about a free copy of 8.1? They sold something like 3 million Ones so far? Nokia phones. Instead of a 200 2 year contract, how about 300, or 250 with 2 year with a copy of 8.1. I might even take an offer like that in the future. This shit isn't hard as it only took a couple of seconds of creative thought and it's mind boggling why MS hasn't done this yet.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by DarkSithPro:

This shit isn't hard as it only took a couple of seconds of creative thought and it's mind boggling why MS hasn't done this yet.

It's been observed over the years that the people in different parts of the MS company are isolated from each other. There is little cross-pollination between products.

Some of this is unavoidable, and in fact I am sure it exists at Google as well (for example). But in general Google has been better about breaking down those walls.
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned)

said by PX Eliezer1:

said by DarkSithPro:

This shit isn't hard as it only took a couple of seconds of creative thought and it's mind boggling why MS hasn't done this yet.

It's been observed over the years that the people in different parts of the MS company are isolated from each other. There is little cross-pollination between products.

Some of this is unavoidable, and in fact I am sure it exists at Google as well (for example). But in general Google has been better about breaking down those walls.

So in essence there are large brick walls that separate different departments with the huge Corporations that ultimately stifle innovation. Sounds like a HUGE CEO and board problem.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by DarkSithPro:

So in essence there are large brick walls that separate different departments with the huge Corporations that ultimately stifle innovation. Sounds like a HUGE CEO and board problem.

Companies that can prevent this, or overcome it, are the successful ones.

But it gets to be about turf, and about who gets the credit....

It's human nature.

In 1947, the US brought the various military services under a single Secretary of Defense. The first man to occupy that position had enormous difficulties trying to get the military branches to work together. Mr. Forrestal had a tragic ending.

When the CIA was created around the same time, its chief was supposed to have some authority over the entire intelligence community. That never worked out well, as we know. The recent US creation of a Director of National Intelligence was an attempt to improve coordination, cooperation, and cohesion, among the 16 intelligence agencies.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer1:

... The recent US creation of a Director of National Intelligence was an attempt to improve coordination, cooperation, and cohesion, among the 16 intelligence agencies.

Actually, the DNI position was created 10 years ago and first staffed 9 years ago. Time flies. But as it's turned out, the various agencies that are supposed to report to ODNI still have a very strong sense of "turf" and "not invented here"... and the DNI's only had limited success overcoming that. Agency loyalty is a very tough thing to overcome...
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by Blackbird:

Actually, the DNI position was created 10 years ago and first staffed 9 years ago. Time flies.

It sure does.
said by Blackbird:

But as it's turned out, the various agencies that are supposed to report to ODNI still have a very strong sense of "turf" and "not invented here"... and the DNI's only had limited success overcoming that.

Especially in the agencies that answer to the Secretary of Defense.
said by Blackbird:

Agency loyalty is a very tough thing to overcome...

It's taken 60 years to get the military services really working together.

The Army has always been the most interested in cooperation, because they can't get soldiers anywhere without the Navy or the Air Force.

At the other end, the Navy has been coolest to cooperation. The Navy of course HAS a Navy, and they have their own army (the Marine Corps) and they have their own air force (naval aviation)....