spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Donkey3k

join:2013-05-27

Gaming lag (PS4) during evening lately

Each night its getting worse. I take my ps4 over to my next door neighbour on rogers and its fine. Bring it back home, its terrible. I've got nothing running and its fine before ~7:30 and gets better around midnight. Between then, i'm 'rubber banding' in games. Too many people abusing start's service IMO. I was talking with a couple other people I know on start, and they say they regularly go over 700GB each month. C'mon, these people should be penalized or pay up.

Rant over.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
Gaming is always top priority so shouldn't see any lagging even if there was a capacity issue, but at 7:30 it should be clear sailing. Have you done a reset to your modem, etc? If so, can you send in an MTR to the host you're trying to connect to? That will help identify the issue. Thanks.

Donkey3k

join:2013-05-27
Everything is dedicated servers on ps4. I don't know the ip ranges though. I did a reset on all my equipment just a few minutes ago and see if that improves things.

The odd thing is is that it sometimes does vary dramatically from game to game. I thought this might be due to spikes reaching capacity on your network, but then started thinking after my original post that Sony has done quite a poor job with their network roll-out for the PS4 that it could be saturated on their end. The other posts mentioning slow bandwidth to the U.S. may also indicate a bottleneck past your network through one of the peers.

I'm going to look around for more information on the I.P. ranges used by Sony (if available) and then do the mtr tests, but until I have that information I I have to go on is what I'm experiencing and what friends say I look like in game at times (the 'rubber-banding' in shooters).

Overall very happy with the service though.

I'm curious, how does the network detect gaming traffic vs. other traffic using some proprietary protocol other than traffic going over known ports? I'm more of a software guy (developer for many years) than a network engineer who gets into the guts of networking at that level.

Cheers,

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
Most online shooters are peer connections, ie not a dedicated server so a lot will depend on who pulls host and where they are. I'm not sure if the PS4 does 'host compensation' which drives many gamers nuts and good connections tend to pull host more often, I have the XB1 myself and haven't noticed host compensation since I've had it. As for where your connections are going, your router might have insight to show the connections that it has established.

damir

join:2013-12-12
CANADA
Never had any lag on my XBOX ONE, and i play it daily (online).

Trentelshark

join:2002-12-11
London, ON
kudos:1
In most case XB1 uses dedicated servers on the cloud to host games now. At least that's what is being advertised.