spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DW

@cox.net

Five Dollar per month Internet upgrade promotion

As subject says, Cox is currently running this promotion; good for 6 months of a upgrade to the next tier for 5.00 per month.

I currently have the Premium package, and service is fine. Thought I would try Ultimate for 6 months, then drop back if I really didn't notice a difference.

Ordered it online today, but speeds never increased. I did a chat session with Cox support and was notified that a tech would have to come to activate Ultimate.

Is this mandatory? Can someone be upgraded (assuming they have the proper modem) to the Ultimate package without a tech visit?

Thanks everyone.

Anonguy

@cox.net

1 recommendation

Cox requires a Pro install for Ultimate to make sure your Modem/Router/Wiring/PC's are all capable of the extra speeds.

You can try calling and sometimes you will get a rep that will do it over the phone.

rdsport323

join:2001-05-28
Irvine, CA
reply to DW

It is mandatory, but, when I went to return my cable boxes at the local Cox store, and I asked them about upgrading to ultimate, the guy did it right then and there and upgraded me from his computer.

But then again, he knew I had a capable modem and everything. You might have to upgrade your modem if you don't have one that is approved.

DW

@67.210.56.x

Update: I spoke to two different Cox tech support folks yesterday, and surprise...received two different answers.

Called the first person shortly before I left work for the day; explained the situation, and she told me that I should have the Ultimate package, that my modem was provisioned for it, that signal strength was fine, etc. Granted, I was at work and could not do any speed tests (which I pointed out to her) but I told her I would check once I got home.

Came home, checked speeds...no change. Rebooted everything, ran 5 or 6 speed tests from different servers, etc. Called back in to tech support. After explaining the situation, the tech put me on hold for a few minutes. Came back and explained that I needed a tech to come out before it would be provisioned. He waived the support call, since in his words...the upgrade should not have occurred without acknowledgement on my end that an installer visit would be necessary.

Visit is scheduled for this evening.

bchandler02

join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to DW

How do you get this promo? I've never heard of any promo being valid for Ultimate. I'd like to take advantage of this as well. Can you provide a link to it?

Thanks

Edit: I see the ad on the website after I login, but the T&C specifically say it isn't valid for Ultimate.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
reply to DW

did they wave the install fee?

DW

@67.210.56.x
reply to bchandler02

I saw the promo on the website, and just upgraded from there. Didn't bother to read the fine print on whether or not Ultimate was valid.

As for waving the install fee, it isn't on my bill....yet. Ultimate is listed as the tier that I have, and on recent bill activity, it shows an upgrade to Ultimate service. Also, on the usage meter, I have went from 300 GB per month to 400 GB.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

since you don't have new speeds yet, I wouldn't count on it being a free upgrade.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to DW

I just signed up online, it let me. We'll see what happens. Not counting on anything and can't complain if it doesnt work, but if it does I'll take Ultimate for +$5 for 6 months. If not, no big deal.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to DW

Lost connection a few minutes after the order was submitted, I assume this was the modem rebooting but I didn't get up and look.

Now getting 124 down on speedtest... so I guess it worked.

DW

@cox.net

Update.

Tech came out, was hitting 128 with his device. Called in, had modem reprovisioned and was hitting 126 down 35 up on my desktop.

Will check the bill the next few days to see if there any extra fees (other than the 5.00) added to the bill.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:1
reply to DW

Cox Cable: "We want to reduce truck rolls and control service expense increases by using remote operations to service customers."

Cox Cable a little while later: "Wait, change that! We want to do unnecessary expensive service truck rolls for reasons only our idiotic MBA degree holding managers can fathom."

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE
reply to bchandler02

what about upload speeds?

kabhal
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to bchandler02

Just saw this so I thought I'd give it a try too. It let me sign up online about an hour ago, but speeds haven't changed at all yet.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to DW

I still haven't seen much difference in the upload. Downloads are good with most test sites producing >100, but upload still seems to be stuck around 6-7. Shouldn't I be getting more on Ultimate?

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

1 edit
reply to DW

most likely will be on next months bill. You can also look in the recent account activity should be listed there also.

emk

join:2010-03-12
San Diego, CA
reply to DW

I called sales department and they said that Ultimate isnt included

Philmatic
Premium
join:2000-07-15
Santa Barbara, CA
reply to DW

I got burned by this... I got the flyer and promptly redeemed it. I was on Premier and got bumped up to Ultimate.

They did not mention they needed to send a tech out to do the upgrade
The tech just showed up at my house one morning, with no warning or call ahead of time
On top of that, they charged me $60 for the installation that I DID NOT REQUEST or was aware of
Finally, to add insult to injury, my bill is showing the Ultimate tier at full price ($99).

I called to complain and was told that the upgrade to Ultimate is not part of the deal and I should have been told about the install requirement. They credited me the $60 install fee and locked in the Ultimate tier at the Premier rate + $5, so $79.99 for an entire year.

DW

@67.210.56.x
reply to DW

Update 1-30:

After the service was setup, I forgot about this thread I started.

I checked the bill online; sure enough, there was a service charge listed, along with a $50 Ultimate Internet fee.

Called in, explained the situation. I was put on hold, then asked if I still had confirmation email when I ordered the service. Read the confirmation number, was put on hold once more.

When the person came back, all fees, charges, etc were waived. Price locked in at $5 more per month than premium for the next 6 months; then will go up to full price for Ultimate.

So, long story short....YMMV on getting this upgrade.

As for the service itself; speeds have stayed constant. The DL is nice, but I like the UL far better.