Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to ameridian

MVM,

to ameridian
Are you an internet-only customer?
»[OOL] Price Increase for Optimum Online (Internet only) service?

Booost
@optonline.net

Booost

Anon

said by Thinkdiff:

Are you an internet-only customer?

Obviously not, since he also referred to OV.
ameridian
join:2013-06-23
Paterson, NJ

ameridian to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff
No, I also have OV and basic cable. Also paying $14.95 for Ultra 101 in addition to the $59.95 (was $54.95) internet charge.
Rojo31
join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

Rojo31

Same here, no TV just OOL+OV, and hit with the same price hike.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69 to ameridian

to ameridian
I recall seeing an insert in my December bill about that.

SHoTTa35
@kfvaluation.com

SHoTTa35 to Rojo31

Anon

to Rojo31
Got the price hike too (at home) for just OOL - no voice or TV. It's now 74.99 for 101Mbps (free upgrade from Boost+)
ameridian
Paterson, NJ

ameridian

Seem to recall losing some discount and having to pay more for a service when we went from triple play to basic cable (BC). Suspect this $5.00 increase is being levied on those who don't have triple play....."No triple play, then you must pay".

Whatever, my wife is the only reason why we still have BC. Unlike most people, she's more interested in the news channels, QVC, food network and so forth. She watches it in two locations so we still have the two STBs and BC is costing me around $25.00/month. This increase is the perfect incentive to do something about it and I just ordered an HDTV antenna. So it's plus 5 and minus 25.

Optimum...Up your A$$.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

1 recommendation

n2jtx to ameridian

to ameridian
Cablevision definitely appears to be hurting. My guess is they are digging around the sofas looking for extra change. I have a feeling these $5 increases are going to be an annual event for the next several years until LTE is a cheaper alternative. It is shame they have whacked away so much money on things not related to providing cable service (ie. The Wiz, MSG, etc)
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

1 edit

dm145 to ameridian

to ameridian
Looks like boost plus is being increased 4.95
Doesn't matter if you are paying 14.95 extra for ultra 101 or not
Doesn't matter if you are video only or bundled
So much for the free upgrade last summer

They need to release a grid to show who and how much
blargle
join:2014-01-16
USA

blargle to ameridian

to ameridian
I'm now paying $64.90 for Ultra 50 instead of $59.99. Makes me a little nervous, since there appears to be no other options in Clifton as my block isn't wired for FIOS. I'd love to have a $30 option for internet, even if it was only 15 megabit.

limegrass69
No Whammies

limegrass69

said by blargle:

I'm now paying $64.90 for Ultra 50 instead of $59.99. Makes me a little nervous, since there appears to be no other options in Clifton as my block isn't wired for FIOS. I'd love to have a $30 option for internet, even if it was only 15 megabit.

There's always DSL.

gambitNJ
join:2012-11-15
Your Mom

1 recommendation

gambitNJ

DSL... Hahahaha... Oh, god, just brought tears in my eyes from laughing.. Sorry

limegrass69
No Whammies

limegrass69

said by gambitNJ:

DSL... Hahahaha... Oh, god, just brought tears in my eyes from laughing.. Sorry

Right! My point exactly...so suck it up and pay $65 for Ultra 50 and deal with it. There are no other options, other than downgrading to standard OOL, getting a triple/double play promo, or going to some other non-FiOS alternative (DSL, wireless, satellite). OP is pretty much screwed, as are most non-FiOS customers!
ameridian
Paterson, NJ

ameridian to n2jtx

to n2jtx
said by n2jtx:

Cablevision definitely appears to be hurting. My guess is they are digging around the sofas looking for extra change. I have a feeling these $5 increases are going to be an annual event for the next several years until LTE is a cheaper alternative. It is shame they have whacked away so much money on things not related to providing cable service (ie. The Wiz, MSG, etc)

My guess is they are digging around the sofas looking for extra change.

Decided around 12/1 last year to get another OV line and spoke to someone in sales. They said it would cost $40.00 to transfer the phone number (we needed that) and another $40.00 to have someone come out here to do the installation. I refused to pay the installation fee because there isn't really anything to install in my case except connect the phone line, hung up and called back 5 minutes later.

This other person was more reasonable and confirmed that the modem already had two phone ports etc.. He agreed to waive the installation fee and said I would be notified by email when all was ready in about two weeks. Nothing happens so I call towards the end of the month only to find out the order was canceled on 12/18 with no reason given. The person put me on to sales to enquire about the order.

Well, it's the same old song and dance but gets funny when the salesman drops the installation fee to $25.00 then finally to $15.00. I then realize that this installation fee is starting to resemble a commission of sorts and refuse the "offer" and hang up.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

said by ameridian:

Decided around 12/1 last year to get another OV line and spoke to someone in sales. They said it would cost $40.00 to transfer the phone number (we needed that) and another $40.00 to have someone come out here to do the installation. I refused to pay the installation fee because there isn't really anything to install in my case except connect the phone line, hung up and called back 5 minutes later.

Several years ago I debated getting OV. I wanted to port my number but I too found the BS fees to be obnoxious:

1) Number porting is a free service of the numbering authority. Cablevision uses a service to handle it and adds charges to do the work. Not my problem. Find someone who does not charge for this free service.
2) An installation fee when a number is ported? Here is where it got really stupid. If you already had a phone number, decided to drop it and get a new number with Cablevision, there was no installation fee. If you wanted to keep the number then the fee applied. The explanation being they had to make sure the old line was disconnected. O-k-a-y... But in the first scenario, wouldn't the line still have to be disconnected even if I got a new number (silence).

I realize many people are not technical but when people BS me like I do not know how to screw in a light bulb, I get angry.
ameridian
Paterson, NJ

ameridian

I used Vonage several years back and they keep sending me "$9.95 for life" offers these days. Anyone here using Vonage instead of OV?
Rojo31
join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

Rojo31 to n2jtx

to n2jtx
said by n2jtx:

Find someone who does not charge for this free service.

CallCentric.

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0 to ameridian

to ameridian
Way I look at it is if they raise the price and I cancel the service they get nothing. So let them start screwing around, I'll take my $170 something a month and make extra mortgage payments. I don't need them but they sure do seem to need my money.

bcronin
Premium Member
join:2004-03-27
Hyde Park, NY

bcronin to ameridian

Premium Member

to ameridian
ViaTalk

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0 to ameridian

to ameridian
Cablevision could make a lot more money if they were proactive.

XFinity On Demand is available on newer Tivo devices. Has been for a long time. As awful as Comcast is, they are at least trying to make money where they can.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to ameridian

Premium Member

to ameridian
said by ameridian:

I used Vonage several years back and they keep sending me "$9.95 for life" offers these days. Anyone here using Vonage instead of OV?

I've been using Vonage since 2006, the "Residential Premium Unlimited" plan, which appears to be a grandfathered plan. I could pay a dollar more and get more European countries' landline service included, or a dollar less and get none of them. See what my taxes and fees are and figure adding that to the $9.95 total.

I like it. The service has been reliable, just know that if the broadband goes down or the electric goes out, the phone service goes too, though really that is rare. I do have my account set up so that if that happens, my calls get routed to my cell phone.

Booost
@151.190.40.x

Booost to n2jtx

Anon

to n2jtx
said by n2jtx:

1) Number porting is a free service of the numbering authority.

Verizon does not charge.
ameridian
Paterson, NJ

ameridian to DownTheShore

to DownTheShore
said by DownTheShore:

I've been using Vonage since 2006, the "Residential Premium Unlimited" plan, which appears to be a grandfathered plan. I could pay a dollar more and get more European countries' landline service included, or a dollar less and get none of them. See what my taxes and fees are and figure adding that to the $9.95 total.
~

Okay, thanks. I'll contact them and see what they have to say.
ameridian

ameridian to Booost

to Booost
said by Booost :

said by n2jtx:

1) Number porting is a free service of the numbering authority.

Verizon does not charge.

I think n2jtx was suggesting that Cablevision should find and use some service that did not charge so Cablevision would not have to pass charges to customers.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145

What do phone charges have to do with current topic of internet increase?
I wish there was a pricing list that was clear regarding cost for non promo and which tiers are being bumped. Their website caters to new customers and they are coy on real prices.

limegrass69
No Whammies

limegrass69

said by dm145:

...I wish there was a pricing list that was clear regarding cost for non promo and which tiers are being bumped. Their website caters to new customers and they are coy on real prices.

The only thing I recall seeing recently with that information is the bill insert we periodically receive that lays out the channel lineups, packages and broadband/telephone pricing. I don't believe that appears anywhere on the website.
ameridian
Paterson, NJ

ameridian to dm145

to dm145
said by dm145:

What do phone charges have to do with current topic of internet increase?

Cablevision digging around the sofas looking for extra change as n2jtx aptly stated.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 edit

bohratom to ameridian

to ameridian
said by ameridian:

n addition, your monthly bill will include
a sales tax on Optimum Voice, an E911 surcharge and a Federal Universal
Service Fund fee.

Wow, seems OOL is finally catching up to FIOS, Comcast and every other Digital voice provider to nickle/dime on fees.....Took them long enough...