spc
Search similar:

uniqs
marcpilot1
join:2014-01-15
usa

marcpilot1

[HVAC] hooked up wrong thermostat/blew something up

Hi y'all. I had a thermostat break so I got a new one from lowes. The one that broke had an 800 # on it, I called, they said it was def broke and that it was a little old. That I wouldnt be able to find that model # anymore but to go to Lowes or Home Depot and gran one of the non-programmable ones for 25-50 bucks. So I got the one they said to get. Hooked it up very meticulous, labeled eack=h wird, etyc, etc. Turned on breaker and nothing. After checking a couple few things, I called em back. They said I hooked the wrong one up and prob blew a fuse or transformer or something like that. I ASKED THEM OVER AND OVER WHICH THERMOSTAT WAS COMPATIBLE TO THE MODEL i HAD. So yea, they tell me to get one that blows the system up somewhere. I bought 2 20 amp fuses that go in the box outside. Not sure how they go back in as I took them out to take to lowes with me and I forgot which way they were in there! Stupid. Anyway, thats where i'm at at this point. Rough. Any help would be SO GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED! I have tools, meter, everything. Thanks lot y'all.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

2 recommendations

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

If you are having trouble putting the fuses back in you took out you don't need tools or a meter. You need a HVAC serviceman to correctly wire your thermostat. Either you wired it wrong or you blew the 24 volt control fuse not the main fuses for the outside "box".

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to marcpilot1

Mod

to marcpilot1
Please post model numbers of both thermostats. You state you turned on the breaker and nothing. Then you say you bought 2 20 amp fuses for some box outside. Hmmmm

Please post pics of everything. You may have the tools and everything, but I sure don't understand what you are doing.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

1 recommendation

Tex to marcpilot1

Premium Member

to marcpilot1
Yeah, it's probably not a good idea to be messing with electricity, y'all.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to marcpilot1

Premium Member

to marcpilot1
Did you happen to mark or record which wire came off which terminal in the old thermostat?
What type of system do you have? Gas, Oil, Forced air, hot water baseboard, Heat Pump?

I would strongly suggest that if you have a meter that you do not use it on an energized circuit. From the basic fragmented information you gave us, you would be a danger to yourself and may do serious damage to the HVAC equipment.
marcpilot1
usa

2 edits

marcpilot1

Still appreciate any help. Y'all. The 2 twenty amp fuses in the disconnect box outside are in the part thats inside the box that the fuses snap in, then you push that part into the metal disconnect box mounted in the brick wall. Well, the fuses look like a 'milkbottle' from back in the day. Thats the best way I knnow how to describe them. Theyre the 'Bussmann' 20 amp heavy duty fuse from Lowes. 12 bucks. Theres a lip at one end of the fuses and theres no lip at the other end of the fuse. Just round. So do they go into the clip part that holds them with the lip part up or the lip part down or maybe only one goes with the lip part up while the other goes with the lip part down? Thats the 1st thing I screwed up. I took the 2 twenty amp fuses out of the part that they sit and clip in and now cant remember if they go back in upside down, right side up, if only 1 goes down, both go down, etc, etc. Sorry about that. If I could get past that, I'd be able to get this. I know I can handle it. I just screwed up by installing the wrong thermostat but its the none I was told to install. What was I supposed to do? tell whoever is supposed to know what theyre talking about that theyre wrong, that I prob dont need that thermostat, I prob need some other kind? Anyway, y'all know more in 5 minutes than they did all day yesterday. Thats why I'm here. Sorry if I cant get everything right from the rip but Ive never used this before. Its taking me a min to figure out the forum, upload pics, how to reply, things like that. But I think I got it now! Thanks too!! Yes, I labeled everything. I mean everything. Theres nothing I didnt put a sticker on or write on a piece of paper or whatever. (of course the 2 twenty amp fuses i took out and cant remember which way up or down they go disproves that) But I really did take extra care and meticulously did this carefully. I have the pics and the model numbers and everything y'all may need. I have to figure out real quick how to put them on my next post. Thanks again! A lot. (I have anything that you might need, or wanna know) Oh, and its cold so Im not typing to well as fingers are frozen. sorry, Thx.
marcpilot1

marcpilot1

The unit is outside on a pad and its a Trane 12. Trane 12 or 1200 maybe. But I think its about 8 or 9 years old. The thermostat connected to the unit in the house is also a Trane. Model #-T8411R. And yes sir, I did label each wire as I took them off. The thermostat had letters at each wire labeled- G,B,R,Y,F,W,O and X2. The F had no wire going to it. All the other 7 letters had a wire going into them. I unscrewed the screw at each wire and labeled them one at a time as I took them off. You know, I did that with EVERY wire ONE at a time. I promise. And yes sir, I have the new thermostat's info. Its model # is RTHL111B. Its a Honeywell. And when I hooked it up, after all the lettered wires were in their correct terminal I guess you call it, there was 1 wire left over. It was the X2 wire. there was no X2 screw on the new thermostat. Also, the little installation book that came with the new thermo said if you have a C, an X or a B wire left over, to elec tape up the end of it, leave it not connected to anything. Well, after it didnt work I called them at the 800#e and they asked for the wire letters one by one, then said I had hooked the wrong thermostat up. He said I possibly blew a fuse, a something in the 'handler' maybe and might have blew a transformer? Things like that he said. SO thats where Im at this morning. Kinda rough over here. Thanks for any help y'all can possibly give!

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

The fuses you describe as the new ones are designed to only fit certain size (amp raiting disconnects ). The milk bottle shape is designed as an exclusion tab to prevent oversized fuses from being installed.
If in fact a fuse is blown, it does not matter which way the new ones are installed, electricity will flow both ways.

JUST MAKE SURE YOU TURN OFF THE CIRCUIT BREAKER FOR THE OUTSIDE UNIT AT YOUR ELECTRICAL PANEL BEFORE YOU TRY AND REPLACE THE FUSES>

Having said that, you said you had a meter. Check the old fuses with your meter to see if any are blown. I doubt they are bad. The fuse the 1-800 number was referring to is internal to the air handler inside and is what supplies low voltage to the thermostat and to the control system in the air handler.

It is possible this fuse is blown. However replacing this fuse will not solve your problem, the root cause of the failure still needs to be diagnosed and fixed.

Why did you suspect the original thermostat was bad? It may not have been the thermostat but rather a problem with your system.

You may be in over your head here. We can only help so much exchanging posts and as you say it is cold and getting colder. I would suggest that you call a service tech.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to marcpilot1

Premium Member

to marcpilot1
If you don't understand fuses can be installed either direction then you have no business working on electrical equipment. For your own safety get someone with the proper training to check out your unit.
marcpilot1
usa

marcpilot1

Click for full size
Trane XL12
Click for full size
Trane XL12
Click for full size
Trane XL12
The original thermostat's display is gone. You cant see what youre setting the temp or anything to because the display is gone. Yes, it still works. It still ran the heat and the air. The only thing wrong with it is you cant read the display anymore.
I doubt the those particular fuses are blown as well but that was the one thing I could try last night. I guess I didnt realize I could check them with my meter. Its a cheapie meter. But its new. I just didnt know where toi set the dial to check them. I had a test light at the thermostat before any work was done. It lit up when I touched the red and alligator clipped it to the ground wire. Now that doesnt happen anymore since the wrong thermo was installed. I took the wrong thermo back off, put the old one back on but like I said, that test light doesnt light anymore at the thermostat's wires. Im uploading the couple pics I have. At least I'm going to try to. If ypou cant help, I guess you cant help and I'll have to call a company to come. But I just feel like I blew a fuse somewhere and I think If I replace it and install the correct thermostat or even the old one i'd have heat. I found the right model now by the way. Its RTH3100C. And I am picking that up in a little while. About an hour. Heres the pics I hope. And I'm grateful for what youve done so far to help. Really thankful. Oh, and yes sir, I def switch off breaker(s) before going near any wiring! Thx

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to marcpilot1

Premium Member

to marcpilot1
A thermostat will not blow the fuses outside if installed wrong. It may blow the fuse inside the air handler though.
marcpilot1
usa

marcpilot1

And thats exactly what I've been wanting to do. Was find the air handler fuse to see if its blown. (if its even got a fuse i guess) But I think it does for some reason. I live in a single story house. And, the unit outside is right next to the crawl space. I think Im heading under house to look for the air handler fuse. Assuming thats where the air handler is. Thanks Cowboyro!! I mean, at this point, I think thats what I need to do next. Theres no air handler in the attic I dont think? Anyway, wherever it is, I'm going to it next. Thx
marcpilot1

marcpilot1

The air handler model # is tweo24p 130b0. I couldnt get a good picture as its under the house in the crawl space. Its real dark under there. I can take a huge light I got if I had to and maybe get a pic with that. I was thinking that this is where I need to look for the A/H fuse maybe? So, I'm going back under with my drill and the 8mm to take a side off, hopefully I find the fuse(s). Thx for all help so far. Really appreciate any and all of it!

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

The fuse will likely be inside, in the control box, on the 24VAC circuit.
marcpilot1
usa

marcpilot1

Ahh, I got ya. Its inside the control box. And theres a breaker box right next to the air handler with 3 breakers. I shut those off before I do anything. Then look in the control box in the air handler for the 24 VAC circuit maybe? Thats probably the blown fuse which if I get it replaced, I'll probably have power again on the wall in the house where the thermostat gets installed. I went under house to the air handler and took off a door/side and didnt think I saw a blade type fuse. Like in a car. And there was a control box behind that door/side too. Right there to the left. The capacitor, a few more wires and other things were in there but I just dont think I saw a fuse. And I'm def Not wanting to 'guess' and create more problems. So I'm kind of stuck. I know if I can get power back to the thermostat I can install this correct one I got earlier today. But kind of stuck right this sec. Thanks cowboyro!

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member

1 recommendation

Tex

Premium Member

Y'all need to remove and isolate the thermostat wires being careful not to short any of them. Take your meter and set it to AC voltage. Put one lead on the R (red) wire and one lead on the B (blue) wire. You should get a reading around 24VAC. If not, you'll need to check the transformer in the air handler. Post the model number of the air handler so we can find out if it's got a fuse on the control board. I'm thinking there is no fuse and that the transformer is fried. But, post the model number of the air handler anyway, y'all.
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS
·Google Fiber

1 recommendation

scooper to marcpilot1

to marcpilot1
OP - GET A QUALIFIED HVAC TECH THERE BEFORE YOU RUIN YOUR EQUIPMENT / ELECTROCUTE YOURSELF !

Yes - I meant that (all uppercase).

When you replaced the thermostat, you should have noted which wires went to which terminal (HOneywell thermostats even include paper tabs for this purpose). At this point - you need someone who knows what they are doing to get this fixed correctly.

Booost
@optonline.net

Booost

Anon

Last time I had an HVAC guy here, he told me they get a lot of business from people who try to replace their own thermostats and fail.
marcpilot1
usa

marcpilot1

Ok, just got off work. Long day and its dark, cold and I'm really tired. But, I am gonna go back to the air handler to see if I can find a fuse. If I can, I'll see if its blown and replace it. The thermostat wires are isolated, none are shorted or are shorting each other out, touching in any way. Theyre also marked with stickers. (previous post showing the letters) The air handler model # is...(previous post as well) I should have made all the previous 3 post questions y'all sent clear in the other posts I have already sent. Why ask me the same questions over and over? Is not that uncompromisable. I mean I didnt think typing the model number's letters and #'s were needed to be posted repeatedly. Maybe its difficult to comprehend what I have posted and i will be glad to post the same model numbers that I have already posted. But really y'all, aint we beyond that point? I really didnt think we had time to repeat post after post all night. But then again, maybe I'm being way to articulate with the info and need to slowwww down a bit. Which I can do that too if that what y'all really need. Tell y'all what, I'm going down to the air handler to see if theres a fuse there and if its blown I am going to replace it. If you want to help, look at the prior post that shows you the air handler's model # and tell me where the what is prob a 5 amp fuse is. If you cant even follow the previous posts and need to be told over and over the same information every 4 posts then I really dont have time for that. Y'all. If you dont know how to assist someone and all you can do is try to crack 6 year 1st grade jokes, I really dont have time for that either. Y'all. Its as simple as this. If you can tell me where the fuse is at my air handler, tell me. If you cant, stop posting. Cant you comprehend the post that says what wire is what? Cant you comprehend the post that says what the model # to the air handler is? Why should I post the wiring sequence again at the thermostats terminals when I've already done that a few posts back? Why should I post the model # to the air handler when I posted it a few posts back? Look, if you dont know what youre doing to help somebody with some simple information then what are y'all doing here to begin with?? But anyway, Thanks a lot y'all. Oh yea, wheres cowboyro? He told me where to start looking for that fuse earlier but I had to go to work. If I find the fuse at the handler, again, I will replace if its blown, install the correct thermostat and that should be it. Its as simple as comprehending the previous posts? Look through them. Got a question pertaining to something in the posts, highlight it and put your question there with it and I'll try to explain whatever it is youre unable to understand. Maybe I wrote things a little too articulate and I'll be glad to make the post more understandable. My bad y'all. Sorry bout that and let me know what I HAVENT posted and I will post it for ya. And yes, I meant to stress the word "HAVENT". Wheres cowboyro?
marcpilot1

1 edit

marcpilot1

Ok, found the fuse at the air handler and its definitely blown. I replaced it with another one of the same amps, shut the 3 breakers down at the handler and am installing the correct thermostat now. Hopefully when it's installed, it doesnt blow the fuse this time. As the beginning of the thread says, the place gave me the wrong thermostat and when I installed it, something blew because nothing was working anymore. As the beginning of the thread says, I called them and they told me "sorry, we gave you the wrong info about what thermostat to get, when you hooked up this incorrect thermostat, you probably blew something. A transformer, a fuse or something. But were sorry, heres the correct model number of the correct thermostat that is compatible to your equipment". Thats what they told me, thats what I relayed to y'all. At that point, I thought someone would know what to do but all I got feedback wise was a bunch of kindergarteners. No big deal though. Something good came out of this as cowboyro chimed in and helped somewhat steer me the right direction. (THANKS COWBOYRO) And yes, I meant to capitalize that. For some reason this site feels a silly need to follow capitals with a "I meant to do that, ahucka, hucka, hucka". Oh well, whatever. Anyway, do you think the fuse is going to blow again if I install this thermostat? Or is there something that I should maybe do 1st? Thanks.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to marcpilot1

Premium Member

to marcpilot1
Sounds like you got it! Glad you found the blown fuse and good luck.

Edit: As long as you hook the wires up (red wire to the same letter terminal it was connected to on the old 'stat, same with the white, etc.) you should be good to go.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin to marcpilot1

Mod

to marcpilot1
Any chance that you know what a paragraph is and you could start using them? I have tried to read your posts and it is next to impossible. Then you appear to accuse those trying to help you that they are the problem. Please try to organize your thoughts, use paragraphs, and generally make it easy for us to go through the info you are trying to communicate with us in an organized manner.
marcpilot1
usa

marcpilot1

Ok, got the thermostat installed. Did it the same way as the other thermo. R to R, Y to Y, G to G, etc, etc. It is supposed to be the correct thermostat this time. Honeywell promised me they had the right model # thermostat for this particular equipment this time. I'm still a little concerned though before I power back on the breakers at the handler and in the house. It just feels like after all this crap I've dealt with that its not gonna work right again. That the fuse is gonna blow, the compressor is gonna seize up and what was it on that other post, that installing thermostats cause circuit boards to fry and everybody has to buy new equipment after thermostats blow everything up into the sky past airplanes and stuff. Oh well, if theres no advice, I guess I'll go ahead and fire the system back up. Thanks.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member

Tex to garys_2k

Premium Member

to garys_2k
Yeah, that's why I asked again for the model number, but I got scolded for doing so. Then, I figured it out. It's TWE024, not TWEo24.
Tex

1 recommendation

Tex to marcpilot1

Premium Member

to marcpilot1
said by marcpilot1:

That the fuse is gonna blow...

I've got $5 that says it does.
marcpilot1
usa

marcpilot1

Not accusing nobody of nothing. Just responding to the posts I read. And I am sure I'm not nowhere near perfect. But if you think that any of those posts, "better call a company", Better STOP because if you dont already know this or that you cant or shouldnt be trying to ever do anything". Come on, thats y'alls 'help"? Anyway, turned the breakers on after reading the garys_2k post. I couldnt believe it. after about 5 minutes, the freakin heat started blowing out of the vents! I'm soooo happy. Man, Thanks so much for the help? And really, sorry if I seemed to be a little concerned about the 'help' ya said I was getting. If you read the posts and think that I was doing anything wrong, then sorry. But man I'm happy. Thanks cowboyro, garys_2k, everybody else who said to "STOP, youre going to break it" and "call somebody, quick!". That help. Thanks for that help, I guess. Really though, I'm so happy we have heat again, and the plus is we got a new thermo with a blue display. Wooo. Fancy huh? As long as it works is all I cared about though. Again, thanks cowboyro, garys_2k and all of y'all. A lot.
marcpilot1

marcpilot1

If anybody tries to install a new thermostat and youre whole system shuts down, 1st, make sure the thermostat is compatible to your equipment. Make sure you install it exactly as the installation manual shows you. That part is simple, a 7th grade education or knowledge of the alphabet is all you need to do the thermostat wiring part. But if theres no power at the thermostat anymore and you DID have power there before, go to the air handler and find any breakers right near it. Shut them off! In fact, if youre not sure what breaker shuts what off, shut ALL the breakers off!! Take off a metal door/wall on the air handler, probably some 8mm or 1/4" screws, and find the fuse that looks like a car fuse. There may be a smaller door/wall behind the big wall/door you remove where the fuse is, and It may be 5 amps. Thats what mine is on the Trane air handler I have. Replace that fuse if its blown, then check for power at the thermostat again. If you have power, of course shut down the breaker(s) to it and install the CORRECT thermostat and your fuse shouldnt blow anymore. (and yes, i meant to all cap that words a**) Thats what worked for my situation anyway. Good luck y'all!!

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

I still want to know why the thermostat you originally installed was the "wrong" thermostat. What did you install the first time and what did you install that works?
marcpilot1
usa

1 edit

marcpilot1

The original thermostat was a Trane T8411R. The display stopped working. You know, I couldnt read nothing in that little square? Like when you hit the arrows up or down, you dont see anything but a blank display. So I call the 800# on the back of the thermostat. He asks me some questions, determines that I wont be able to fix it and to "go to Lowes or Home Depot and just get any honeywell thermostat thats between 25 and 40 dollars." I said ok, hung up.
Now, I guess this is my fault here but I go to Lowes and get the 30 dollar one, Honeywell model # RTHL1118, and call 800# on the package, its the same people. From a country that I really couldnt understand every other word as their accent was different. Anyway, I give them the model # to double check that its compatible. Why? I guess because there were a lot of thermo's and I wanted to make sure I got the correct one. I assumed they ALL werent compatible to my Trane equipment. So he says yes, yes, thats good. And this is from the parking lot at Lowes. My fault I guess because I believed him and didnt do any other research? I guess. Took em for their word. But this thermostat ends up blowing something up and now the old one wont even work anymore. You know, the one with no display? At least that one used to work, I just couldnt see the temp or the screen but I could hear the unit come on.
So now I'm in trouble. Have a sinking feeling in stomach, feel bad, etc, etc. I call the 800 # and am not so nice and after another set of questions they say that I hooked up the wrong thermostat! But you told me to! It was them that said to hook this thing up! He then says I have probably blown some stuff up, transformers maybe, fuses maybe, he dont know but rattled off those 2 words. I go to y'all for help and get literally reemed. At this point I stay positive, friendly, thankful still for y'all, and corgill. And if you cant see how hard that was for me to do, then maybe I am crazy. But I dealt with the posts and remained civil, was just trying to get some help. If I wanted a bunch of kids to laugh at me I wouldve went to the local elementary school and told knock-knock jokes to the 1st graders. So, anyway, the guy on phone asks a bunch of questions this time, tells me the REAL thermostat I needed to hook up was Honeywell model #RTH3100C!! So I go get it, go to work, come home, argue a little with y'all, find a fuse at the air handler, replace it, hook up this Honeywell, and it worked perfect. I still have nice warm heat this morning and its 7a.m. I do appreciate the help. It just came a little 'bittersweet' I guess? But after a couple more days I'll forget all about this experience and probably have some other catastrophe around here to deal with. Again, thanks 'you all'? (that how ya say it?)

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

1 edit

jjoshua to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
said by robbin:

Any chance that you know what a paragraph is and you could start using them?

Please don't be snarky. The mods don't like that.

Maybe the fuse on his enter key is broken, too.

Personally, I would like to know how a thermostat was not the right one. Every thermostat that I have seen has some basic level of compatibility. You might need to flip a switch for gas/electric and some might not support dual stage blowers, but is there really something to look for when replacing a thermostat?

My biggest concern when replacing a thermostat is making sure that I don't lose the wires back into the wall cavity.