spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kevinln

@wideopenwest.com

WOW interne problems lately

so the past 2 days now, the internet has been slow and once in a while i cant even connect to a website keep getting page has failed to respond or something like that

Kevets

join:2013-12-31
US

I've had their service for three weeks so far and this seems to be the normal situation. I call, it gets downplayed, schedule an appointment, nobody shows up, service still sketchy.

It seems that WOW denies problems as much as they paper the neighborhood with flyers.

Body Count

join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
reply to Kevinln

For me this has been going on for over two months.

Something about their DNS. People on here said switching to google DNS has solved their problems. For me I'd have to change a lot of my equipment if I did that as I have all my stuff set to static local IP's on the router (for port forwarding). So I would have to change the DNS settings on everything if I changed it on the router.

I've just been dealing with it. Only issues I see is during streaming video. Some websites are fine, others have issues and will stop downloading for a good 20 seconds at a time.

clocks11

join:2002-05-06
reply to Kevinln

I have losing my connection a lot last night and today in IL.

Jonathan2

join:2011-12-21
reply to Kevinln

Yup I'm getting maybe 1-2 Mbps down, and it's not my router. (in Chicagoland)

SScorpio

join:2002-12-31
Canton, MI
reply to Body Count

Something about their DNS. People on here said switching to google DNS has solved their problems. For me I'd have to change a lot of my equipment if I did that as I have all my stuff set to static local IP's on the router (for port forwarding). So I would have to change the DNS settings on everything if I changed it on the router.
You can have a static IP set on a machine, while still having the router provide a DNS server over DHCP. If you wanted static DNS entries you could also have the router masquerade DNS. I have all of my computer my router pulling DHCP from the router with static IPs for machines that need port forwarding set in the DHCP server and the DNS server is just the router IP. I can then set three different DNS servers on the router. Any changes are seamless to any of the clients.

Kevets

US
reply to Kevinln

I wish it were that simple. I use specific DNS three-levels deep and have a had time believing all my problems are due to something that basic.

I don't think even the worst DNS server would make the modem hang like it does daily.

AlexE4

join:2006-12-16
Park Ridge, IL
reply to Kevinln

I'm also getting terrible speeds today and 400+ ping times at speedtest.net ... Chicagoland here.

RootWyrm

join:2011-05-09

There's some infrastructure changes going on. I connected with one of the folks who actually knows what they're talking about on a technical level sorting out my problems a while back, and I'm talking with him about what's going on right now. Sorry, can't name names - but I will say that WOW bent over backwards to fix my packet loss issues, actually fixed them, and I'm very appreciative of their work on it.

TL;DR version is this: anyone claiming DNS is flat out wrong. Period. It is however, breaking DNS very badly. (Which makes me extra grumpy, because I operate a complex setup.)
What is actually going on is a new network configuration got deployed last night. And said configuration is very, very broken currently.

Yes, the correct people are aware of it and working on it.
No, they cannot just "fix it" or "undo it." It's a disruptive change.
Yes, this is part of planned upgrades.
Yes, I screamed about the apparent lack of actual planning.
Yes, it is for actually significant upgrades which actually will improve things.
Yes, really. (Promised not to share full details, sorry.)
No, you are not nearly as aggravated as I am.
Yes, I have chewed them several new orifices already as a result.
Yes, they are very apologetic about it.
No, this is not the intended end-state.
No, it was not intended to screw things up in the interim.
No, this is not going to persist for very long. (It better not...)
Yes, it is going to get better as quickly as possible.
No, they still cannot just take the entire core down in the middle of the day to work on it.
No, the DNS is not correct. Blame Knology - enough said there.
No, I don't know any more than what I've said here.
And most importantly:
Yes, the savage beatings will continue until morale improves^W^Wit gets fixed.

Hopefully some more tweaks should be going in during the maintenance window tonight, but I can't say for sure nor do I know when or who all it will/may affect. Suffice to say, it is actively being worked on.

In the meantime, traceroute (not tracert - traceroute. Use ICMP!) is your friend and diagnostic tool. Both inbound and outbound. For the time being (that is between now and say, 4AM) there's no point in obsessing over it. But you may want to save a snapshot of how it looks, specifically noting the bazillionty knology.net hops that appeared overnight. Please do not poke them with sharp sticks.

And if things don't seem to be improving after tonight, the most useful diagnostic is mtr.

markm5

join:2013-10-06
Clearwater, FL

Some cable modem problems can be caused by a bad cable. The techs have monitoring tools to check not only levels but also foreign signals on the cable that could interfere with service, which could be caused by a bad cable or bad connector.

AlexE4

join:2006-12-16
Park Ridge, IL
reply to RootWyrm

Thanks for that! Was about to call myself but I figured I'd just get stuck at a low level tech who wouldn't provide any helpful information... saved me the call and the frustration. Hope things are back to normal soon.

Jonathan2

join:2011-12-21

It seems to be an all or nothing kind of issue. An hour or two ago it was working perfectly, while now there is virtually no connections being made at all.

clocks11

reply to Kevinln

I'm hoping they are making upgrades that will allow them to bump tiers up.

Kevets

US

I was told the tiers will be 30-50-100 meg packages, specifically to support their Ultra TV push. They told me so. :P

clocks11

Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Kevets:

I was told the tiers will be 30-50-100 meg packages, specifically to support their Ultra TV push. They told me so. :P

That would better match the competition. If they went to those tiers, I'd imagine my parent 15meg would get bumped to 30, and my 30meg tier would get bumped to 50. This would better align WOW with Comcast in my area.

kpindp

join:2006-04-19
reply to Kevinln

I am experiencing the same thing from what you are describing. Seems to be an intermittent latency issue where by you can be surfing fine one minute and then click on a link to go somewhere else and the page won't load or take a long time to do so. I called WOW and resetting my eqpt and the eqpt on their side has not helped. I have a dispatch set up but to be honest I am not confident that the issue is on my end. I would like to talk to someone in the internet tech support group to see if anything has changed, possibly a software update, or switched to a backup server somewhere.

kpindp

and I have also switched the DNS server IPs in the altar box to use open dns IPs and that has not made any difference either. I even switched the search domain to google.com , no change to the internet lag. Last time I had an issue in early summer they sent a tech out and he told me that WOW had sent a software patch to the ultra box and that software patch affected the internet. I would have thought that the call center should be notified of that and as customers call in they can let you know that instead of a wasted dispatch.

Gremzor
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Melvindale, MI
reply to RootWyrm

said by RootWyrm:

TL;DR version is this: anyone claiming DNS is flat out wrong. ...

I second this, pretty sure DNS (Domain Name System) will not affect throughput of your connection in the slightest. Once you have resolved (looked up IP address) the domain you are trying to connect to DNS is no longer a factor between the host computer and your computer. Being able to run a speedtest (on a domain that needs to be resolved) pretty much eliminates DNS as the problem. The only issue I could see DNS causing is delays in initial page loading or a page not loading at all. There is definitely a major underlying network issue with WoW, and it's still present right now. Getting a bit old.

kpindp

Right is not throughput speed where i see the issue, i have run several speed tests from different sites and the download and upload speeds are good. The delay is not bad either around 38ms.

I see the delay when trying to get to a webpage, that is where I see the lag. It can't load the page or takes a very long time for it to display. Then it will work fine for awhile then start back up again with the webpage loading lag.

ZR72

@wideopenwest.com

Yup, going on 3 days with similar issues in NW suburbs of Chicago. Will see random websites stop working for minutes at a time and then start working again.

No speed or throughput issues, except for maybe on Thursday night.

clocks11

reply to Kevinln

I'm down right now, using neighbors unsecured network. ugh This has gone on too many days. Time to call and work on a credit.

kevinln

@wideopenwest.com

called and all they did was resend the signal or whatever, sill having problems... then its well if your still having problems we will come out a replace the modem pretty shure its not that, when i did a test it said something about no response or failed dns

ZR72

@wideopenwest.com

Glad I am not the only one having issues. Though there doesn't seem to be much fuss about it on Twitter or Facebook, which is kind of concerning as I imagine that this is causing a lot of people frustration.

dwlodarz

join:2014-01-18
reply to Kevinln

I'm an IT consultant who lives in the northwest suburb of Park Ridge, and I happen to have WOW for my home internet. I also have a client in town who has WOW for business. Both of us started having problems on late Weds with our service and the exact same symptoms, mentioned here. I thought they were DNS issues but I quickly learned it was due to random packet loss no matter what the destination.

We use a VoIP phone at home from RingCentral and the unit loses connectivity every 5-10 mins with the LEDs on the phone going orange (aka signal loss to RC). This I have never seen before from WOW.

So I had a tech come out to my home to have a look at the connection, as their support dept claimed that I was one of the few having issues ... and when the guy was out I showed him the kind of ping results I was seeing both at my home office and that of my customer's which looks like this:

I ran the same ping tests over a number of hours at customer sites with Comcast that I have remote access to, and the number of failures I see are in the sub 10 range (most have no loss at all). The numbers on my ping tests are getting better since early Saturday but this is still unacceptable.

I attempted to download a large Microsoft Windows Server 2012 ISO from my MSDN account and the download keeps failing due to the connection being reset. Using Xbox Live is just as frustrating..... I'm shocked it is taking this kind of an investigation by random users to get any kind of solid conclusion here.

Funny thing: when the WOW tech was at my home yesterday, he was talking to his colleagues at other homes servicing Park Ridge and other suburbs, and THEY were trying to resolve these issues as well at numerous homes. He did not have the level of expertise to understand what was going on, and just called it "larger issues back at the hub" but the look on his face after piecing it together with me made me understand that he was fairly well convinced that I wasn't BS'ing him about this.

I'm shocked WOW would not have sent out an email or told their CS reps already about whatever mess was going on behind the scenes causing this, as their onsite reps are driving around til late at night just telling customers that "they don't know" what else is going on. The guy was super nice and promised to escalate it with his other onsite techs to their manager, but it seemed like they needed a mountain of evidence of these issues just to be able to talk to someone at "the hub."

As someone who works in IT and is admittedly the first line of defense for customers who don't know to call WOW or Comcast for issues when they arise, I'm shocked that WOW is treating this mess in such a manner.

Not going to say that I'm switching to Comcast or ATT, as that's a bit premature and I wouldn't want to (WOW has been great until this debacle) but I just question who at their higher depts is approving covering this up from clients in the Chicago suburban area.

It is driving us mad, and their onsite techs are wasting a lot of foot time trying modem swaps (like we did at my home - and the same issues persisted - so I got my original Motorola modem back).

By the way: WOW initially told me when I called in for the first time that the problem was due to a failed firmware update of my modem that didn't load properly. Even after they forced it, the problems never left, and I know why after reading this post.

Hoping that WOW can approve some nice credits for myself and my WOW business clients in town, as I know we are not alone.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:32

There was an isolated issue in Des Plaines/Park Ridge IL that should hopefully be resolved at this point. I haven't heard back on if anyone experiencing issues has gotten better since the change though.

clocks11

Thanks Dan.

Anyone still having issues, try rebooting your modem and/or router. I was still having issues, but now since the reboot seem to be back up. Hope it holds.

kpindp

reply to Kevinln

I live in Des Plaines and have been experiencing this problem since roughly Thursday. I have rebooted the Ultra box, many times, and have not seen any relief. I called this afternoon to report a trouble and as mentioned in my earlier post that a tech is coming out on Monday. So the question from WOW is if there was an "isolated" issue in Des Plaines and Park Ridge what was the incident? And what was done to correct the issue if it had been fixed? I specifically asked two separate customer service agents this afternoon if other people were calling in complaining and they said i was the only one. So what exactly happened to the Des Plaines and Park Ridge customers???

ZR72

@wideopenwest.com
reply to WOW_Dan

Thanks for the update WOW_Dan, I'm in that area.

I was experiencing random packet loss for the past 3 days (including today) and can confirm that after kicking off another PingPlotter scan of various endpoints, that I am no longer seeing the packet loss issue. I've been scanning for about 10 minutes now and everything looks clean, unlike before where I was seeing >30% PL.

In addition, earlier I was tracerouting other WOW IPs and there were a large number of hops (> 15) and large latencies in ping responses. This is no longer the case, those same IPs are 8 hops away and are 100ms latencies.

dwlodarz

join:2014-01-18
reply to Kevinln

I appreciate the insight from WOW's DAN, but this still begs the question: why did it take collective efforts like this on this thread, all through hearsay and investigation of our own, to figure out this mess?

How come WOW couldn't have told its reps to inform customers that we aren't crazy after all? Every time I hear from a rep that "you're the only one having such issues" drives me mad because I work in IT and only call in when things are bad, as they definitely were in this case.

Not to compare WOW and Comcast too heavily, but at least when I call in on behalf of my Comcast business clients, their reps know exactly where they are having network issues and can allay my suspicions of problems beyond our location. I think WOW needs to get a better system together to bring their techs and reps up to speed.

I can't imagine it makes business sense to have angry customers for days on end, techs traveling to and from customer homes confused after modem swaps don't work, etc. Just bad protocol all the way around from what I experienced in this mess.

As of 12:09am on 1-19-2014, I can say that the packet loss situation is much much better but not fixed yet. I am still seeing 1-3% packet loss on my ping tests to various DNS servers in the USA. I'll consider this problem resolved when it mimics what my clients are seeing on Comcast connections in the next to 0% range.

Would be nice to see WOW address this outage in the same way Microsoft/Google handle outages for their services and give us nice reports on what caused the problems and what steps were taken to prevent them from happening in the future. I think 3+ days of maddening partial downtime deserves some kind of explanation.

kpindp

1 recommendation

I hope that we do find out what the issue was such as a misconfigured router, server, or one something that switched to a backup, or a software upgrade. I June or July there was a software push to the Ultra box that was only uncovered by a tech and he had to bring it the tech support people in Naperville. We limped along for weeks before a patch was created to fix the problem.

All I can say is I am going to send the Midwest VP and email indicating how things can or should be handled better in hopes to make some policy changes to improve the customer experience. Here is the link should anyone feel the need to do the same: »www.wowway.com/all-about-wow/man···t-region