spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29

[Equipment] GVMate (Google voice calling non-XMPP)

Has anyone else seen this? GVMate adapter that allows you to continue to use google voice for free after the XMPP retirement.

»gvmate.com/

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

Not exactly new. Having a computer on 24/7 is a problem for some.

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·localphone.com
·callwithus
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com

said by graysonf:

Not exactly new. Having a computer on 24/7 is a problem for some.

Additionally, it is not clear whether it truly will work after XMPP retirement since it is a piece of cake for Google to stop it.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

Exactly. Not depending on XMPP doesn't mean it can't be disabled.

mgraves1
Premium
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX
kudos:1
reply to dcurrey

I think that it's really funny that they refer to the app as "GVMate Professional" when this sort of arrangement is anything but professional!

It reminds me of people finding ways to use Magic Jack as a trunk for Asterisk. It can be done, but it's a hack and subject to being shut down. In the end it's not likely worth the trouble.

There was quite a community of people who worked out how to host an original Magic jack dongle on an old HP thin client, eliminating the need for the PC host. It's a cute little project.
--
Michael Graves
Houston TX
»www.mgraves.org

Cam_

join:2013-05-15
reply to dcurrey

Reading between the lines my guess is you get a DID and then they use something like the old method that used to be used with Asterisk before XMPP.

But the bad part is you have to leave a computer running 24/7 and it has to run Windows, it can't be a Mac or Linux box.

howardsl2

join:2014-01-12
USA
reply to dcurrey

To continue using Google Voice with your Asterisk PBX after Google shutdown XMPP, you can use this method:
1. Apply for a DID from a free or paid provider such as IPKall ("Provider 1"), which allows forwarding of incoming calls to your Asterisk PBX via SIP.
2. Register an account with another provider ("Provider 2") such as Localphone, which supports SIP and allow you to set outgoing Caller ID. Set this to your GV Number.
3. Incoming call route: Caller's Phone --> Your GV Number --> DID from step 1 --> Your Asterisk PBX --> Your Phone
4. Outgoing call route: Your Phone via SIP --> Provider 2, displaying your GV Number as Caller ID --> Your Contact's Phone

In order to receive incoming SMS, in step 1 just select a "Provider 1" that supports this feature, such as Anveo,and set your GV Number to forward texts to your DID.

The only drawback is that you need to pay for outgoing calls. Here's a list of the lowest cost providers:
»pbxinaflash.com/community/index.···r.13382/

And here's my blog article to help you set up PBX in a Flash (PIAF) on DigitalOcean, if anyone is interested:
»blog.ls20.com/install-pbx-in-a-f···alocean/

anonome

@verizon.net
reply to dcurrey

Aren't they the ones who simply run a version of Chrome/Chromium on your PC that accesses Gmail in the browser to use its Chat function?

Mississippi

@torservers.net
reply to howardsl2

Maybe I am missing something basic, but why jump through so many hoops to keep GV going when you can get good service cheaply from lots of providers?

I use about 200 minutes / month. Is that on the low end? I guess I can see jumping through some hoops if I used 4000 minutes / month and had to pay $40 to Voip.Ms or whoever it is I am using. If using GV saves me that much each month, then I might make some effort to keep using it, but what percentage of people use more than, I don't know, 500 minutes / month?

That's $ 5 / month. Most people can afford that, can't they, and don't they have better things to do than jump through hoops to save the $5?

And when you consider that GV is a service that Larry and Sergei can eliminate on a whim, over martinis on Larry's yacht, without consequences to them, who would want to depend on it?

howardsl2

join:2014-01-12
USA

Perhaps to keep their existing GV phone number? Assume that most of one's friends know it.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to Mississippi

said by Mississippi :

Maybe I am missing something basic, but why jump through so many hoops to keep GV going when you can get good service cheaply from lots of providers?

You would think, but the challenge is fun too:

When I was growing up, the Connecticut Turnpike had 25 cent toll barriers right along the road. You could bypass the toll by using local roads and circling around. My dad used to drive for miles to "save" a quarter.

Of course, back then gas was about 30 cents a gallon.

anonome

@verizon.net
reply to Mississippi

Google Voice still has some nice (and free) features which I've been using since the GrandCentral days. Being able to use it with the OBi was nice (real phones!), but still really more of an afterthought than a need. Unless it becomes a real pain (loses useful features or whatever), I'll keep using it.

brg

join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to dcurrey

Google Voice is still my daily driver for everything, and has been for years. Incoming calls are forwarded to my CC DID and my cell. I used to make outgoing via the callback method, then via GV as a trunk on my PBX (using both the old parking lot version and then the new XMPP version), but I've just been picking up the phone connected to my Obi for a long time now. I rarely pay for outbound calls except for tinkering; use GV pretty much for all outgoing. I also love all the flexibilities that GV offers.

After May, who knows? Maybe a cheap provider, or possibly a lot of the GV callback method activated from various devices scattered around the house -- laptops, netbooks, desktops, tablets, iPods. I've learned that it is trivial to grab my iPod, go to the GV app, select a callee from the phone book, and hit "click2call"... My home phone rings and I'm connected. As convenient as just picking up the phone? Nope. But for a cheap geek like me, the extra several seconds is more amusement than annoynance...

cb14

Miami Beach, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·localphone.com
·callwithus
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to anonome

said by anonome :

Google Voice still has some nice (and free) features which I've been using since the GrandCentral days. Being able to use it with the OBi was nice (real phones!), but still really more of an afterthought than a need. Unless it becomes a real pain (loses useful features or whatever), I'll keep using it.

The problem with GV and especially all those nice features is the reliability and lack of any customer support.
For the last year I only have been using direct incoming and outgoing for that reason.
I am definitely porting out my DID's and I only may keep one new DID as a sort throwaway number.

anonome

@verizon.net

Yeah, I understand some users have had issues with Voice, but I haven't. It could be I'm just lucky, or don't use the phone enough to hit it. Even so, I believe now--as then--it would have been better had GrandCentral never been bought by Google.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric

said by anonome :

Even so, I believe now--as then--it would have been better had GrandCentral never been bought by Google.

Many feel the same, not only in terms of GrandCentral but in terms of many other companies that were bought out and all too often wiped out.

Google's newest effort is a contact lens to monitor your blood sugar and send you warnings. I guess that a step beyond Google Glass is Google Lens.
»abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireSt···21565390

toro

join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Sympatico

Google's newest effort is a contact lens to monitor your blood sugar and send you warnings.

.. and then every so often insert ads in those warnings about medication that's right for you ?

cb14

Miami Beach, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·localphone.com
·callwithus
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to PX Eliezer

said by PX Eliezer:

said by Mississippi :

You would think, but the challenge is fun too:
Of course, back then gas was about 30 cents a gallon.

Exactly. The free GV is not really free for the consumer. My U verse gateway sucks 51W, my Obi 202 10.5 both measured at stand by. With 4 H /day computer use, where the gateway would be on anyway, it is 20X 51 + 24x 10.5 = 1,272 x 365 = 464.28 kwh x 0.12= 55,71 $ a year power consumption( considered 12 c/kWh with taxes) Now, since this energy converts almost 100% to heat, you can subtract something for heating or massively multiply for air conditioning depending where you live. The gateway will last with 24/7 operation about 3 years and costs $ 160.- and Obi will not last forever either.
It's nothing compared to a land line/big provider/Tea/Concast VOIP but it is not for free.
That's why I really do not understand people who will bitch about 2 $ more or less a month. it's like the example with the 25 toll.

CoffeeShot

@96.18.196.x
reply to dcurrey

said by dcurrey:

Has anyone else seen this? GVMate adapter that allows you to continue to use google voice for free after the XMPP retirement. »www.gvmate.com

Yup !!! Got one as an extra line for my small business last year and it works great for us. Customer's name shows up on the phone display. Not complicated to set up at all.

Picked up a second one for my teenager for Christmas so she has her own separate phone line at home and she loves it.