Search similar:

uniqs

Man Mountain
join:2014-01-16
Stony Brook, NY

1 edit

Man Mountain

Connecting New Arris Modem

Hi everyone first post here in a long long time(Formerly NYR11). Nice to see a few familiar user names that still post here.
Anyway I have a question about the Ultra 50 service I just signed up for. CV is sending me the new modem via fedex as per our phone discussion yesterday. I would like like to know if simply disconnecting the old modem and connecting the new one is all I have to do to get up to speed? By the way I'm using a new Apple AirPort Extreme router if that makes any difference.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

Simply power everything down.
Connect new modem and power up.
Once you have solid green lights, connect and power up your router.
When your router syncs up to the modem you should be good to go.

howieh
4 more weeks
MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ

howieh

MVM

I just went through this back in November but I picked up the modem at a walk in center. If I recall correctly, the modem was associated with my account at the center. When I got it home, I followed your process but when I got the green lights I had to call support to get the modem and voice provisioned.

Man Mountain
Stony Brook, NY

Man Mountain

That's a problem for me. Hard to call CV if Voice is not working and with poor cell phone signal on the north shore of LI. I'm afraid I'll be out of luck.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145

If so drive to where you do have cell service
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

1 recommendation

TheWiseGuy to Man Mountain

MVM

to Man Mountain
Maybe call with the old Modem just before installing the new modem. Tell them you are installing the new modem and you will not have phone connectivity to call if the new modem does not allow calling. Give them any information they need and ask them to call you back to make sure it is working and if not to do what is necessary to provision the modem.
nutmeg
join:2003-04-07

1 recommendation

nutmeg to Man Mountain

to Man Mountain
I just swapped out my old Motorola modem for an Arris one at the walk in center. When I got home I plugged in the modem and connected my router. I turned on my PC that was connected to the router via Ethernet cable and as I was calling Cablevision I saw a message in the lower right tray saying something like "log in required". I'm running Win 7 on this PC. Hung up before talking to anyone.

I opened IE and saw a screen that had the MAC address of my old modem and the MAC address of the new one and asked if I wanted to swap out the old one. I clicked yes, and everything worked. I also have optimum voice and that worked also.

So there was no need to talk to anyone. Not sure if this will work for you since they are shipping you your new modem.
Rojo31
join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

Rojo31

saying something like "log in required".

What login were they asking for?
I'm about to go through a similar thing - Arris coming via FedEx to replace the Moto SBV6220 - and wondering if I'll have to provision on my iMac.
nutmeg
join:2003-04-07

nutmeg

Log in maybe was the wrong term, more like additional information was needed. The point being that I did not have to call Cablevision, the system knew I was swapping out one modem for another.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to Rojo31

MVM

to Rojo31
By the posters description and previous posts, opening any Browser should take you to the walled garden to provision the new Modem.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

I've seen issues automatically loading the page when a router is connected. You can bypass the router temporarily if it happens until you provision the modem.

Man Mountain
Stony Brook, NY

Man Mountain

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I think when it arrives(Fedex says today) I'll call CV and make sure it is provisioned before I do the install. Can't wait for all that speed!!
Rojo31
New York, NY

Rojo31

Come back and tell us which model they sent you.
Expand your moderator at work

Man Mountain
Stony Brook, NY

Man Mountain

Re: Connecting New Arris Modem

Posted a couple of speedtest results but my posts have to be approved by the mods. Why, I don't know. Anyway, they sent me the Arris 802.
Getting about 59Mbps down and 21 Mbps up. Happy with that.
Man Mountain

Man Mountain to Rojo31

to Rojo31
said by Rojo31:

Come back and tell us which model they sent you.

Up and running here after a few tries to register the new modem.
They sent me the Arris TM802 Here are the results of my first speed test on OOKLA.

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 39728945
Man Mountain

Man Mountain

Second test a bit better on the upload.
»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 2166.png
Rojo31
New York, NY

Rojo31

Nice. What speeds were you getting with the old modem and what was it?

Man Mountain
Stony Brook, NY

Man Mountain

The old modem was a Scientific Atlantic about 4 years old. Model ? Was getting 17/5 with it here.

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 24907553
Man Mountain

Man Mountain