All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs

Can I eliminate Actiontec router completely with an all-Tivo setup?

The subject pretty much speaks for itself. I'm of the understanding that if you have FiOS TV service - which I do - the Actiontec still needs to be part of the equation. (Yes, I've looked at all the FiOS router FAQ descriptions.)

However, if you have FiOS TV service, but don't use ANY FiOS DVRs or STBs, can you eliminate the Actiontec completely? I've had a rebooting Actiontec issue for several months now and while the good folks at Verizon are working with me to fix it, if it doesn't get rectified, I'm leaning toward jettisoning the Actiontec completely, as long as I can still receive the FiOS TV service through my Tivo setup. Thanks.
UnnDunn
Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

UnnDunn

Premium Member

It depends on whether the Ethernet port on your ONT is active. If so, you can connect any Ethernet router to it and get your TiVo online that way.

If the Ethernet port on your ONT is disabled (which I believe is usually the case with FiOS TV-enabled installations), then you will need a MoCA adapter to change the coaxial IP connection to Ethernet, which you can connect to your TiVo to get it online. More information about TiVo MoCA support is here.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

First, just because you have FiOS TV, doesn't mean you necessarily have MoCA. I had ethernet at my old house even though I also had TV.

Second, even if you are provisioned as MoCA, you don't need an adapter to switch to Ethernet. Just run the cat5 cable to the ONT, plug it in, and then call Verizon. They can reprovision you as Ethernet with a phone call.

To the OP, if you don't have any STBs/DVRs from Verizon, yes, you can eliminate the Actiontec. If you're already provisioned as ethernet, then you can just swap out the Actiontec for a router of your choice. If you're NOT provisioned as ethernet, you can just run the cat5, and call them to reprovision you. Then you can swap out the Actiontec for a router of your choice.

The only reason you would need the Actiontec in your setup is to get guide data, VOD and widgets via your STBs. Since you don't have any Verizon STBs, you don't need it.
bsangs
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to UnnDunn

to UnnDunn
Thanks. I was provisioned for Ethernet a couple years ago when I didn't have FiOS TV and kept it that way when TV was added.
bsangs

bsangs to JPL

to JPL
Bingo. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks JPL.
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24 to bsangs

to bsangs
Your tivo will still need a connection to get online, either through moca or thru ethernet. The good thing is that tivo's have it's own moca adapter built in so if you can get ethernet to one tivo and connect your coax to the coax port on the tivo, you can simply connect the others to coax and they will have internet.

But your actiontec router is only required if you have a verizon STB and even then, the stb's only require moca for the main functionality. The only true add-on that requires the verizon actiontec router is the remote DVR feature.
marc3565
join:2009-10-08

marc3565 to bsangs

to bsangs
You should keep the Actiontec around though (as in unplugged in a closet).. just in case. If you have issues and call support they won't help you with your own setup..
bsangs
Montclair, NJ

bsangs

said by marc3565:

You should keep the Actiontec around though (as in unplugged in a closet).. just in case. If you have issues and call support they won't help you with your own setup..

Oh, I plan to. I still have a FiOS DVR that's free for life, so if anybody wants to watch it in the guest room or something, I'll keep the Actiontec handy in case they want to stay awhile.
mkunichi
join:2002-09-01
Hoboken, NJ

mkunichi

I also use my Actiontec as a free MOCA adapter. I use it to bridge my MOCA network and my ethernet network. That way, I don't need to run ethernet to my Tivos.

When I upgraded from my old Tivo S3 to my Premier, I didn't think and connected the old ethernet cable that was in my AV cabinet. This created a loop in my network and all hell broke loose!